'e-Residence Card' / New identity card - enrolment and voting rights.

On application for or retrieval of your 'e-Residence Card' / New identity card - enrol on the European Parliament electoral register and vote to advance your EU civil rights to equal treatment.

Non-Maltese EU citizens living in Malta can now enrol and vote at the next European Parliament elections scheduled for May 2014.

You can enrol on the European Parliament electoral register at:

1) The Department for Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs on application for or retrieval of your 'e-Residence Card' / New identity card.

Or

2) The Electoral Commission / Identity Card Office at Evans Building, Valletta or the Identity Card Office, Victoria, Gozo.

Non-Maltese EU voter enrolment form for the European Parliament electoral register:

http://www.electoral.gov.mt/getresource.aspx?id=83

Thanks for that :)

Comparative scrutiny of the October 2010 European Union / Parliament and local council electoral registers discloses that ofthe 24, 899 non-Maltese EU citizens enrolled on the local council electoral registers, only 3,758 (15%) are enrolled on the European Parliament one.   

The disenfranchised 21,141 constitute over 6.5 % of the entire eligible European Parliament electorate in Malta.

Unless non-Maltese EU citizens ensure that they are seen asserting themselves - politically - by voting in administrative committee, local council and European Parliament elections in Malta and Gozo, it is certain that systemic institutional discrimination will be a permanent feature of their daily lives in this place.

Non-Maltese EU voter enrolment form for the European Parliament electoral register:

http://www.electoral.gov.mt/getresource.aspx?id=83

The following internet link lists the many instances of systemic institutional discrimination against non-Maltese EU citizens, which urgently warrant political representation at the European Parliament:

eucadmalta.webs.com/about

1) This link discloses that the systemic institutional disenfranchisement of non-Maltese EU citizens and the legality of the Identity Card and other Identity Documents Act Order 2012 – from which the ‘e-Residence Card' derives – are under EU institutional scrutiny:

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/get … V0%2f%2fEN

2) Non-Maltese EU voter application form:

http://mhas.gov.mt/en/MHAS-Information/ … rm%202.pdf

Hi Byron,

you still have not answered my question as to whether you have the old residency certificate or whether you have applied for or received the new  e-residence document.

Are you legally resident in Malta? You can keep on avoiding the question but I'll keep on ....... I'm starting to feel that your advice for those in need of residence documents is not the best.

Cheers
Ricky

More like spamming than informative now.

Ricky to be fair i dont think he needs to tell anyone whether he has or hasnt got his residency permit. Thats his perogative....just as it is yours and mine not to give out any information we choose not to..

we all make choices and we all have a right to believe what we wish to - maybe he believes he doesnt need it, maybe he has it and chooses not to tell you.... so what...

Hi toon,

of course it is his good right not to answer the question but ........ as he is the one who is manipulating the information on the residency issue in the direction that he chooses - namely implying that people should not apply for residency, I do feel it would only be fair to know if he is doing what he preaches.

The threads about dealing with residency issues are all about sharing experience and passing on tips - even in the case of someone who chooses not to apply.

Cheers
Ricky

ABSOLUTELY - and my guess would be he chooses not to apply - it would have been my choice too as i dont agree with it - but the other half was panicing and we all have to pay the piper dont we... women cant live with them cant live without them and cant shoot them either  - pass the nuts... LOL (only joking).:)

How the battle to secure your EU right to enrol and vote in the 2014 European Parliament elections in Malta was fought and won:

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/get … V0%2F%2FEN

Byron49 wrote:

How the battle to secure your EU right to enrol and vote in the 2014 European Parliament elections in Malta was fought and won:

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/get … V0%2F%2FEN

cannot open file - what is .do extension ?

Opened for me GnG. (Not for me to read but to try to test GNG's issue.)

It is a .doc but the .do refers to script to get it (I think).

I don't know how many people actually read these links but the suggested 'battle won' has been the introduction of the new Identity Card ( wrong - it should be Residence Documentation) by the Maltese government.

The Commission will be formally notified (when?) and the Commission will assess whether the new legislation addresses the issue (?).

So to get voting rights, in EU and local elections, we got the new e-residence card !

Wrong, many Expats ,including myself, had voting rights with the 'old' residence certificate.

A battle won can be a battle lost or maybe you just have to spin the facts the way you want them.

I do agree that those who want use their right to vote in EU elections ahould be allowed and I also agree that the way forward was to have all residents wishing to use their right register as a resident.

So I guess that there should be no more questions about e-residence , yes or no -)))

Cheers
Ricky

1) Before the petition: - Apart from a brief period prior to the European Parliament elections in 2004, the Maltese Electoral Commission illegally denied non-Maltese EU citizens the right to enrol on the (Maltese) European Parliament Electoral Register.

Gozonews, Thursday, 7th August, 2008 - The Electoral Office discriminates against EU residents in Malta and Gozo – AD.

Alternattiva Demokratika, has said that the Electoral Office is discriminating against EU residents in Malta and Gozo, who would like to register as voters for the forthcoming European Parliament elections of June 2009.

“These EU citizens are being refused registration and told that it is not possible for them to register at this stage,” said Arnold Cassola, Chairperson of Alternattiva Demokratika.

With a view to addressing this problem Stephen Cachia, Alternattiva Demokratika Deputy Chairperson and Spokesperson on Democratic development and Civil Rights, has written to the head of the European Parliament Office in Malta, expressing AD's very strong concern about the manner in which Malta's electoral office is handling the registration of EU citizens for voting in next year's European Parliament elections.

Stephen Cachia pointed out that the EU residents in Malta are being told that the electoral office “might” issue a mail shot in January and that the office will receive applications from January 2009 for inclusion in the electoral register issued in April 2009.

Stephen Cachia declared that: “In effect this is a discriminatory administrative decision since Maltese citizens may at present register in the forthcoming October 2008 national electoral register and automatically be included in the EP elections register in April 2009 while other EU nationals still cannot register to vote in Malta for the EP elections if they choose to do so.”

The AD Deputy Chairperson concluded, “Apart from this blatant discriminatory treatment, which flies in the face of EU law, AD feels that this procedure is actively discouraging EU citizens from registering to vote in Malta for the EP elections. An immediate stop to this discriminatory treatment is therefore necessary.”

Source: http://gozonews.com/3424/the-electoral- … d-gozo-ad/

2) After the petition: - The Times of Malta, Wednesday, 4th September, 2013: Voting by EU nationals in Malta.

Non-Maltese EU citizens residing in the Maltese Islands who do not already hold a Malta ID card or residence document may apply for registration to vote in the European Parliament elections by first applying for their residence document at the Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs Department, Evans Building, St Elmo Square, Valletta, where they also complete the electoral register application, the Electoral Commission said.

This procedure is also required in respect of non-Maltese EU citizens residing in Malta, already in possession of a Malta ID card or Residence document, and wishing to change their option into voting in Malta instead of in their home country in the same elections.

The closing date for the next European Parliament Elections register is September 30.

Source: http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/vi … lta.484768

3) In a further press release on 4th September, 2013, the Electoral Commission published the following correction:

Excerpt: 

PRESS RELEASE

‘Notice by the Electoral Commission for the Attention of Non-Maltese EU Citizens Residing in the Maltese Islands

Further to its Press Release issued today for the attention of non-Maltese EU citizens resident in Malta, the Electoral Commission clarifies that 30th September, 2013, is the closing date for the October 2013 EU register and that another EU register, whose closing date would be 31st March 2014, is due to be published in April 2014………………………………'

ricky wrote:

I don't know how many people actually read these links

not me, as still can't open it

Byron49 wrote:

1) Before the petition:

2) After the petition:

Post hoc ergo propter hoc

The .do is just an extension that runs in the server. The content-type of the file is a pdf (it says .doc in the URI most likely because the pdf was generated from a .doc file). If you want to view it and for some reason you are downloading the file with some other extension, try to rename it to .pdf

georgeingozo wrote:

cannot open file - what is .do extension ?

To be is to do. — Socrates
To do is to be. — Plato
Do-be-do-be-do. — Sinatra

In section C of the form:
"I declare that:
i) I am resident in Malta and have been residing in [insert name of Member State] since [date]"
What shall I put in [insert name of Member State]? Malta? Or my previous country?

yes id say so

Closed