Visa required to emigrate to Kenya

Hi,Im married to a Kenyan man.He is currently in Mombasa & i've had the worst year of my life.We have been refused a spouse visa once for him to come to the Uk as he didnt pass the required English test.We are in the process of applying again but it looks like Fedex have lost all our documents.Im thinking of emigrating to be with him in Mombasa.Does anyone know what visa i would need to stay  there long term & how i go about getting it.Thanks for any replies.im going crazy here.

Hi Sue Salim,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Sorry to hear for what happened.

I hope other members will be able to help you.

All the best,
Christine

Thanks Christine, im so stressed, I don't know what to do

Hi Sue,

First off you will need to come in on a visitor's visa which will cost $50 USD at the Kenyan Airport.

Now, how long have you been married for? If it's for at least 7 years, you are eligible to apply for citizenship through the marriage route.

Otherwise, you will have to get a dependency pass once you arrive in Kenya. If you plan to work, you will have to apply for a work permit. A visitor's visa lasts only 3 months and the officials get kind of suspicious if you keep renewing it without leaving the country/ East African region.

Inbox me your email address as well as the information as to how long you have been married to your husband. At that point I will be able to forward you the correct and necessary requirements/forms to fill.

I'm sorry for your troubles. Be strong dear.
Becky

salu Sue Salim
married ? how ...legaly ? in Kenya or UK ?
with the official Kenyan marriage certificate, endorsed by the Ministry of Foreign Affaires Nairobi you will enter Kenya with a normal 3 month Visa (issued at the Airports Mombasa or Nairobi)
Within 3 month you have to apply for an "Dependent Visa" as your spouse as the "bread winner" is Kenyan.

regards
papakilo_alfa

Hi,Thanks for your reply.We got married at Mombasa Registry Office.Its so hard,we just want to be together & cant seem to be in any country,Thanks

I agree with the above and would have thought it would be fairly straightforward to get a dependents pass - it always been easier for a foreign woman married to a Kenyan man.

Sue, you are not alone, my Kenyan wife lives in Kenya, while I come and go, between the UK and Kenya using tourist visa's and have done this for 9 years now.  I feel your frustration.

Hi, Thanks for your reply.You must be going crazy coming & going for so long.All I want is to be with my husband.I didn't realise it would be this hard to be together.Its a cruel world.Fedex finally delivered his documents,after telling me they were lost & he has his appointment on Tuesday in Nairobi to submit everything.Im praying we will be successful this time.I used to be a sane women but this has taken its toll.Are you going to move to Kenya or will your wife come to the UK.Best Wishes, Sue

Longonot62,

Have you considered the option of applying for a retirement pass?

Hi,
Im not sure what that is or what it involves.I would try anything if it meant we could be together,
Thanks, Sue

have a look at the Kenyan Immigration Department's website Permits and Passes section,

http://www.immigration.go.ke/index.php? … Itemid=127

if you have sufficient funds / income to demonstrate that you will not have to work to support yourself in Kenya you could apply for a Class K residency permit (presumably what Anne-Sharon meant by a retirement pass), it officially costs 200,000/- for two years plus 10,000/- processing fee. But more than one person has told me it can be a tortuous, long drawn out process that may involve a lot of frustration and significant chai.

I've had a Kenyan partner for coming up to 7 years, as i still visit friends and family in the Uk, I find it easiest and cheapest to spend 6 months here then go for a short trip to the UK. I just get a standard visa for £30 then after 3 months extend it for another 3 months. After 6 months you have to leave the country then get a new visa on your return

Doffcocker,

Is it really cheaper to rely on a tourist visa for several years bearing in mind the cost of purchasing travel tickets?

Hi,Thanks for your help,i will have a look at all the options.Its a strange world when we can send man to the moon,carry out heart transplants & fly across the world yet we cant even live with our spouses!!
Thanks

Hi,
I am from India.I am staying in Malindi a tourist destination nearby Indian ocean. Somebody told me about 500 Italian families settled here. Good supermarkets are here. I am feeling just like my hometown. Helpful peoples around.
Regards
Sham

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

Anne-Sharon,

I said as I go back to the UK every 6 months it is much cheaper to stay with visas, as I would be spending the money on buying the air tickets anyway, but if I went for residency and I only wanted to go to the UK once a year it would still cost me more than visas and flights.

A visa costs £30, around 4,000/-. To extend it by 3 months costs 2,200/-. So 4 visas each extended by 3 months covering over 2 years cost less than 25,000/-. Currently a return air ticket from Mombasa to the UK costs around 100,000/-

It costs 200,000/- for a residency permit for two years. There is also a processing fee of 10,000/-

I have also heard from more than one person that there is a standard amount of chai to get the permit and that it is 100,000/-, even then it takes weeks even months of hassle to get it. I have heard of some people who have not paid the chai waiting for months with nothing happening.

So for 2 years a residency permit costs 310,000/- (I can get 3 return flights to the UK for that)

Hi, Thanks for all your help. Im happy to say that my husband has recently got his visa to the UK and we are now together here.
We are now happy & the nightmare of it all is over.
Thanks Sue

Wow u r so lucky .

Thank-u

if you got a legal kenyan marriage certificate then its presumed that you stand a chance to apply for kenyan citizenship despite the country of domicile. put in mind that duo citizenship in kenya is legal now

hi sham,

this is raja from chennai,india..
Can i have your personal maid id to reach and interact further..

i would like to join a agri based company in malindi...

[email protected]