Advice for Valencia, Venezuela

Hey,
So pretty soon i'll be in Valencia for roughly 5 weeks,
it's a work related trip but i'll be free at nights and weekends.

What i'm wanting advice with are things like:
What is there to see and do?
Is it safe to walk about?
What's the deal with exchanging money($)?
Should i be expecting to stay in the hotel the whole time for safety reasons?

Any advice regarding Valencia, or Venezuela in general will be greatly appreciated,

Cheers

Megaclyde wrote:

Hey,
So pretty soon i'll be in Valencia for roughly 5 weeks,
it's a work related trip but i'll be free at nights and weekends.

What i'm wanting advice with are things like:
What is there to see and do?
Is it safe to walk about?
What's the deal with exchanging money($)?
Should i be expecting to stay in the hotel the whole time for safety reasons?

Any advice regarding Valencia, or Venezuela in general will be greatly appreciated,

Cheers

Hi!...IŽm gonna try to answer all of your questions :)

_IŽd say Valencia has not too much to see but what to do depends on what you like to do, there are malls, restaurants, discotheques, thereŽs also a zoo aquarium with a show of our pink venezuelan river dolphins.
_Yes it is safe to walk about, just avoid using expensive jewelry, watches, etc...
_There are two prices for the US dollar here, the oficial rate is about 6 Bolívares for 1 dollar, the unofficial rate which is the one everyone uses is about 30 Bolívares per 1 dollar.
_No, shouldnŽt have to stay for the whole time at your hotel for safety reasons, during daylight life is pretty normal here, just the same advise, avoid using expensive stuff or show off too much money when out :)

Hey,
Thanks alot for the response,
thats put my mind at ease now,

Still a bit of confusion about the exchange thing,
Where/how do i do the unofficial exchange
I've heard about it before, and been explicitly told not to do it in the airport

Thanks

Megaclyde wrote:

Hey,
Thanks alot for the response,
thats put my mind at ease now,

Still a bit of confusion about the exchange thing,
Where/how do i do the unofficial exchange
I've heard about it before, and been explicitly told not to do it in the airport

Thanks

YouŽre welcome!

The unofficial rate you do it with local people, even at your hotel you can ask the Clerk if he/she knows somebody who buys dollars, also in chinese shops, but NO at a bank or a casa de cambio, they will give you only 6 bolívares per dollar, the current rate at the black market is 30, of course probably people will offer you less than that, maybe 29 0r 28 but thatŽs totally ok too.
Maybe the one who told you not to change at the airport meant inside the airport, but I guess outside of it you will get offerings of exchanging, maybe you could change just a few in case you donŽt have any bolívares to pay the taxi, but just a few, letŽs say about US$ 50.