High schools in Guate or Mexico

Hi all,
I might live in Guate or Mexico for a few months, I want my teenage girl to go to school there, she'll be in 10th grade, any suggestions for good schools to look into? We live in New York City.

Thanks, I'm new to this group.
Jules

Jules,
Welcome to the forum. I have two boys 14 and 11 who attend school here in Guatemala. First of all, for the vast majority of schools, the school year is January through October. There are a few that are like the states September through June.

Public schools are not worth it!!! Some do not have proper desks, some do not have books, some the students or teachers are always on strike or protesting.

Most private school require you to start the year to enter. BUT if you plan on leaving before the school year is over, they will charge you for the entire year or not give you back your paperwork. Also, there usually is a one time fee to enroll, an inscription fee and then the monthly fees.

My kids had to pay a one time feel of US$650, an inscription each year of $200, monthly fees of $200 and annual fee for books and materials of $500, to it is not cheap and I would say my sons go to a school on a scale of 1 to 10 for price a 7 and for academics an 8.. so there are cheaper ones and more expensive ones.

Oustide of Guatemala City the choices are much less. My boys go to a school that is bilingual. They have three classes per day in English and four in Spanish.

Does your daughter speak Spanish? IF not then the American School or Colegio Maya would be an option but they are extremely expensive. Hope this helps, any other questions ask away!!!

Thanks so much for your speedy reply! A bilingual school is what I want, private is OK, expensive is not, but we aren't planning to spend an entire year there, just half a year, from the end of her first  "semester" at her current school, which would be the end of January, 2014.

Looking into either Mexico or Guatemala. Is your kids' school in Guatemala City? We also don't want to be in a big city, as we currently live in one now (NYC). She speaks a little Spanish, but the idea is that she'd learn it quickly.

Maybe I'll hear from others on this forum. Very excited about moving forward on this.. :)

My children go to this school manosalaobra.edu.gt/

Like I mentioned before the school starts in January so your arrival would be good, but they have an entry exam that must be taken beforehand. I am sure you could write to them. The website does not have price, but I have them if you need them Also, the principal speaks perfect English.

Schools are a big business down here, but I am sure they would accommodate you. I do live in the city, but at the end of this school year, October, we are moving to Antigua and my sons will go to this school - colegiobostonguatemala.com/es

Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks, Guategringo. These schools look great! Question: Is the Boston College bilingual? Is the entry exam given in Spanish?

Yes Colegio Boston is bilingual. The exams usually consist of math, Spanish and English. if that answers your question. Where will you be living? Have you been here before? I have lived here for over 20 years and love it. Used to spend my summers in the Queens in Astoria, loved the pizza parlors on ever block, the bars were nice as well:cool:

Thanks again. All this is still a work in progress, looking around at other places to go--our main objective is to give my daughter an opportunity to live in another country and work on her Spanish. I'm an artist and can work anywhere. I've been to Guate many many years ago, and loved it!

The high schools here in Guatemala are very good in fact Im from NYC also and always preferred my kid to study here. My son goes to Colegio Boston in Cuidad Vieja. Class 1 education. Finding a good school is not hard, Xela, Guatemala City, Antigua all have great schools.

Hi Jules.

You can also check in Panajachel School
A great environment for kids to study and Panajachel rentals a great place to spend time.. great out doors activities close to Guatemala city (2 1/2 hours drive) and living mayan culture,, very safe..

Armand

Thank you Traveler57 and Armand, these are both good recommendations!

Armand, for the Panajachel School. I see that everything is taught in English, I'm looking for a school that can help my daughter become somewhat fluent in Spanish, would the Spanish classes there be enough for that? About how many kids are in the 10th grade there? Is there enough social life for teenagers in Panajachel (I know it's a fairly small place)? Are the kids an International mix, or are they mostly from the U.S.?

Traveler, does the Boston College have an entire high school, or just the first two grades? I see that it's entirely bilingual. My daughter doesn't speak Spanish fluently, just has one and a half years of HS Spanish, do you think she would do all right there? How old is your son, and what grade is he in?

Hi

PCI has kids from several nacionalities but you should contact them directly for more information.
My daughter will start there next year... and she is French-American-Guatemalan.
They have I think spanish class but the teaching is mainly in English.

The social life in Panajachel is small but what is sure very different from the social life in the US.. it is not a consumer oriented society..so the kids have different interest..

Best
Armand

Got it!

How old is your daughter?

I am living and working in Quetzaltenango ... a few good schools here .. such as
The INTERAMERICAN school ( US system)
IGA (where my children go)
COLEGIO DEL VALLE
The last two are partly in english , and are more " local " schools , at least my kids had and still have a great time there .
Saludos from Xela
Patrick

Thanks, Patrick. I'll look into these.

My son is 15
Everything you need to know is here about Boston: http://www.colegiobostonguatemala.com/e … sion-exams

Thanks. It looks like Boston Collegio won't work for us, as it's on a January to October schedule, so my daughter would in effect be taking the same semester over again beginning in January that she took in September.

All,
Have decided on Pana and PCI, thanks for suggestions. If anyone has kids going there, please contact me, would love to connect.
Jules

Hey Patrick you have a lot of grey hair since Ive seen you last!!