Mobifone IDD/171/1717, calling the US

Just got a mobifone sim and am trying to figure out how to call the US. The page on their website cuts off halfway, and I'm assuming that's where the directions are. Can anyone help me? Thanks!

Just press +1 area code and number

I have a vinaphone.  Anyway to cut costs calling the US?

Set up a skype account and pay on there, dialing out is then charged at local rates in the country you are dialing.
Or get  voip calling card account plenty of them around, but less needed these days.

try googling the details

USA country code is 00 + 1+ area code + number

laidbackfreak wrote:

Set up a skype account and pay on there, dialing out is then charged at local rates in the country you are dialing.

Although Vietnam has some of the lowest international calling rates for calls from standard phones, such as Vinaphone, Mobifone, etc., Skype (or Vonage) is the better way to go. If you have a smart phone, there's a Skype app for that, or you can install Skype on your laptop and use it that way. Calls to the US are about $.02/minute. The Skype app on a smart phone works with local 3G data coverage as well, so calls that way work just like making a local call.

Skype to Skype calls are free, so tell whoever you want to call to get it also.

Another option is a smart phone app called Viber. It's becoming more and more popular. But you can only call other people who also have the app. It works with wi-fi or 3G coverage, and references off your local phone number. All Viber to Viber calls are free.

I work in Qatar and my wife and I use Facetime and Viber every day. Skype works great also but my company blocks it because so many people were streaming video.

saigonmonkey wrote:

Another option is a smart phone app called Viber. It's becoming more and more popular. But you can only call other people who also have the app. It works with wi-fi or 3G coverage, and references off your local phone number. All Viber to Viber calls are free.

Viber is great and free! Don't understand why people are still paying LD phone calls to their families nowaday

NashCat wrote:

Don't understand why people are still paying LD phone calls to their families nowaday

Because there are still many old folks, such as my mother, who wouldn't know a Viber from a viper, don't want and don't know how to use a smartphone, and barely know how to turn on a computer. To call those folks, you gotta have something like Skype, so you can call them on their old-fashioned land-line phone with the sixteen-foot long cord that stretches across their kitchen.

Now do you understand? :D

mark stutley wrote:

try googling the details

My 'smart' phone kept cutting off the bottom of the page, so this didn't work.

The correct answer is 171 or 1717 + 00 + country code + area code + number