Looking to learn Vietnamese

Hello,

My names John 28 years old now living in Phu my Hung and just wondering if anyone had any pointers as to where I could get some Vietnamese lessons from ? I have lived here now for about 4 months and need to start learning the language ASAP !

thanks in advance for your help !

John

You will be bombarded with offers to learn for free,forget about it, they wont stick it out. Go to a school and learn or find a private teacher in the classifieds on here.

colinoscapee wrote:

You will be bombarded with offers to learn for free,forget about it, they wont stick it out. Go to a school and learn or find a private teacher in the classifieds on here.

@colinoscapee: I agree with you and I think your advice is very useful and realistic. However, things based on personal experiences are not always true to everyone in all situations. I have a Spanish friend who took 2 Vietnamese courses in a university most people believe pretty good. And I've received some not very positive feedback from him about the courses that it didn't really help him to speak Vietnamese as he exepcted. So I guess school is not always a good choice.

Sometimes, it depends on how lucky you are, you'll catch a good and long term private Vietnamese teacher or not. But yes colinoscapee was probably right. Going to an official school can guarantee you more possibility in getting a stable course. And you should consider the offers from random people carefully to know they are committed enough to teach you the language, not only how to say "hello, how are you" in Vietnamese and gone.

Anyway, guess what...I'd been a private vietnamese tutor for my Spanish friend for a year and well it was free (And I don't think I bombarded him hehe :P).

Good luck.

Actually its not just my opinion, its the opinion of most expats I know who have been down that road.You must of missed the bit where I said to find a private teacher.

Nothing is free em oi!:)
Do you know 'Barter system'?

charmavietnam wrote:

@charma: I'm not sure if that is your response to my post in which I said I did teach my Spanish friend Vietnamese for free for a year. But if that's the response for me, I don't really get what you meant when you said "nothing is free".

Sometimes, people find it hard to either be truly nice or to trust in natural kindness that makes them think it's impossible for someone to do something nice without asking for anything back.

Anyway, I hope I don't make you think that I'm bragging about myself that I'm so nice that I could spend my time and efforts in teaching someone Vietnamese for free. But yes, you are right, it was not free. Because doing little things to spread my mother tongue to one person or more from the other side of the world or wherever they are and to help them get to know Vietnamese culture through the language, I think I've received more than any payment I ever expected.

Have a good day!   
p.s: Whether your response aims to me or not, I also would like to say few things about that. I'm sorry if that bothers you.

Can you teach me English for free? :))))

Viana.N wrote:
charmavietnam wrote:

@charma: I'm not sure if that is your response to my post in which I said I did teach my Spanish friend Vietnamese for free for a year. But if that's the response for me, I don't really get what you meant when you said "nothing is free".

Sometimes, people find it hard to either be truly nice or to trust in natural kindness that makes them think it's impossible for someone to do something nice without asking for anything back.

Anyway, I hope I don't make you think that I'm bragging about myself that I'm so nice that I could spend my time and efforts in teaching someone Vietnamese for free. But yes, you are right, it was not free. Because doing little things to spread my mother tongue to one person or more from the other side of the world or wherever they are and to help them get to know Vietnamese culture through the language, I think I've received more than any payment I ever expected.

Have a good day!   
p.s: Whether your response aims to me or not, I also would like to say few things about that. I'm sorry if that bothers you.

Yeah, of course I wrote to you :)
If you taught 1 year means... surely you got something, whatever it is! So my saying is true, right?
Even if it is from your parents... nothing is free em oi!

Hi John.
my names Huy, i'm 20 years old. Nice to meet you, I hope you can become my friend.and we can exchange language.I'm also learning English
Thanks

Hi, im from Hanoi. But I have short plan to discover HCMC this weekend (Friday until Sunday). If you interested in, we will go hang out. You pay for you, I pay for me. We exchange languages?
Ok?
My email is [email protected].
Sent me email, anh you will have my cellphone number.

Hi John. My name is Francis, I m Vietnamese anh 37 year old. I live near Phu My Hung so we can meet, drinks anh talk. I think I can help you about speak Viet. Nice to meet you. Waiting for your relpy.

Hi,

Vietnamese Language Studies (sometimes people here will refer to them by their old name which I think was Vietnamese Language School) has a location here in Phu My Hung. Their website is vlstudies dot com. They also have a facebook page. They offer one free lesson to try them out on certain days of the month (if you like them on fb they will probably send you an invite via chat).

They advertise small group classes of 2-6 people for around 126,000 vnd per hour (you pay for a 40 hour course so over $200 for the whole course).

I can't personally recommend them because I haven't tried them yet though I think I very well might...I do have a friend who went through their teacher training program and she said she highly recommends them and I have seen others on here recommend them as well.

Chúc may mắn!

Hey if you're fun to hang around I don't mind teaching you some Vietnamese!
My parents are Vietnamese so I can teach you like basic stuff? I was born in Denmark thoug...
Anyway I'll be in Saigon I'm August...
Silke

I'll be looking for a place to study Vietnamese language as well. Saw this one online, but I don't know anything about it. vietnameselanguagegarden.com/vietnamese-language-school-ho-chi-minh-city I prefer working with a small group as opposed to just by myself, but I'm willing to see what this place offers. Good luck to us! Vietnamese seems even more difficult than Mandarin!

Hi John,
If you are interested in one-on-one learning then I can be your teacher of vietnamese.

Please, contact me at 0975945871
Regards,
Tung

OMG

hi john, my name is jenny, i would like to making friend with u, hope u enjoy tym in saign

hi john,
hope you have a good time in Vietnam
maybe you can register in center for foreign languages of Ho Chi Minh City University of Social Sciences and Humanities.

charmavietnam wrote:

hi,
i have so many things to say...
i'm so confused. i wrote.then i deleted.i think it's not polite when saying something that's not my problem.may i say something if that does not bother you?
it's not about true or not true.don't you think what you said is kinda hurtful.especially with one girl?and i really dont know what parents expect to receive from their children that made you think "Even if it is from your parents... nothing is free em oi!"
i wonder what happened to you that made you lack of belief in people?

Nice talk.
And one more thing which is priceless: friends :)
That's what you get back.

Viana.N wrote:
charmavietnam wrote:

Have a good day!   

Looking for a private tutor is not a bad choice! I think you could ask someone in this forum or even you could ask language center for a private tutor but of course with high fees.

You can refer some centers as below (I dont know whether I am allowed to cite any website address here or will be blocked by admin :D):

http://www.vlstudies.com/vn/about-us/te … program/57http://giasutoancau.com/index.html (this site in Vietnamese, maybe, you need to use Google translate :D this center has service in district 7)
http://glss.com.vn/en/

Hope it helps.

Fairdinkum16 wrote:

Hello,

My names John 28 years old now living in Phu my Hung and just wondering if anyone had any pointers as to where I could get some Vietnamese lessons from ? I have lived here now for about 4 months and need to start learning the language ASAP !

thanks in advance for your help !

John

Better you should refer the previous postings to get an idea em oi!

I don't know if you still need but I have 4 years teaching VNmese experience to mostly international businessmen coming to HCMC and in Singapore (I used to live there)... If you're interested then this is my email: [email protected] :) I stopped for a while but still like doing that. I want a nice student, btw.

I think schools might be an option, but I found out a lot of people prefer choosing a private tutor and feel that work better for them. Uni of Social Sciences & Humanities in Dinh Tien Hoang st. dist.1 is where a lot of my students used to take classes and said that's fine. So just up to you, try school for cheap & don't feel good -> switch to private tutoring. There are also good books to work on, I can share if you need, I mean just to help :) Good luck!

Is your service also free? :D

sirodabao wrote:

I don't know if you still need but I have 4 years teaching VNmese experience to mostly international businessmen coming to HCMC and in Singapore (I used to live there)... If you're interested then this is my email: [email protected] :) I stopped for a while but still like doing that. I want a nice student, btw.

I think schools might be an option, but I found out a lot of people prefer choosing a private tutor and feel that work better for them. Uni of Social Sciences & Humanities in Dinh Tien Hoang st. dist.1 is where a lot of my students used to take classes and said that's fine. So just up to you, try school for cheap & don't feel good -> switch to private tutoring. There are also good books to work on, I can share if you need, I mean just to help :) Good luck!

It is probably better to get a real teacher who knows what they are doing and how to teach. I had some nice guys in my apartment complex offer to help me learn Vietnamese. This was our normal routine: meet, eat, drink, and sing karaoke. It was tons of fun, but the only Vietnamese I learned was the song con gai noi ga la khong (When a woman says yes, it means no). As you can see, they didn't teach me any spelling or anything useful I can use to impress my in-laws.

Hello all
At a ripe old age, I wonder whether the Vietnamese language is beyond me.
I had taken 2 months of language course but the pace was too fast.
I now need a friend/ tutor to really help to consolidate my learning. The spin off could be a language exchange for English too.
I live in PMH so someone close by would be more convenient. Could imagine you could come on your bike and we could chat at the poolside, where its real quiet in the mornings.
Over to you for any response. Thanks

Hello there, I am an English and Vietnamese teacher. I have experience in teaching Vietnamese to foreigners. I can teach you Vietnamese for 100 000 VND per hour. If you are interested, please email me. My email is [email protected]
I hope you have a good time here in Vietnam.

Quyên Phạm

[Moderated: pls send details via a private message]

Hi John, when I registered for a japanese course in Saigon languages school, I saw some foreigners go for registering Vietnamese course, so you can take some Vietnamese courses there
[Moderated: send details via a private message please]

there is school near Sky Garden Phu My Hung name: I can read where you can learn Vietnamese language!

Hi Fairdinkum16,
Maybe, the languages center of Ho Chi Minh City University of Social Sciences and Humanities is your choice best.

cheers,

angelique83 wrote:

Je cherche à avoir le lien du service educ nationale pour faire mes vœux...je ne le trouve pas! On a tout un site dédié mais tout est flou et caché... je passe un temps fou dessus sans trouver où et quand faire mes vœux... est-ce sur SIAT???

Voir ici:

Hi,
Go to school with qualified teachers and professional syllabus :)
VLS or University of Humanity and Society are your options.
Good luck!

If you are in Phu My Hung, should go to VLS there. Look for the address under VLS language studies. Good teachers and friendly staff.

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum.]

Hi Jonh,
I'm Vietnamese, I can't help you learn Vietnamese as others (I work from 8am. to 5 pm.) but I think we can talk via skype (after working time) . I graduated the Philology and Journalism, so my describe Vietnamese is good (but English is not). I help you speak Vietnamese and in return you help me improve my English.
If not, I think this advice is right "Let's learn at Ho Chi Minh City University of Social Sciences and Humanities".
Good luck!

Fairdinkum16 wrote:

Hello,

My advice is to go parallel, don't just follow one course.  Get help wherever and as often as you can. 

I've studied numerous languages, from brief dabbling through fluency, and in most other one reading and writing  and speaking and listening all progressed identically.  Not Vietnamese.  Where I can read every sign I see, and can understand people I know, overheard Vietnamese in public is completely incomprehensible down here.  It's much easier up north.  There are subtleties in pronunciation that we can't even hear (and I am not talking about the tones) that make the difference between being understood or not.

Hi,

It's better to learn from school and go out practicing Vietnamese with many people above.

I would like to recommend you study Vietnamese in University of Social Science and Humanities in 10 - 12 Dinh Tien Hoang, District 1, HCMC. There is a Vietnamese Faculty here. And this Center speacilize in teaching Vietnames for foreign students.
You can go to Hall C of the university where there are many people self-study and practce language here if you want to find someone practice Vietnamese.

Good luck

This one is a long shot but you never know.

I'm kind of plateau'd in my Vietnamese, I can be understood and I am learning new words but I think I have gone as far as I can without someone experienced in teaching like I had in the USA.  My friends studying here are too far behind for us to attend the same classes and I have seen people go through a succession of unprepapred people ... guy shows up on a motorbike, no books, no papers, no lesson plan.

I can do this over Skype, and while yes I can pay I'm looking for someone who wants to learn what *I* can teach, which is software development.  I have over 25 years doing it including ten at Microsoft (I have work in Media Player and in XP through Seven), and now doing iPhone/iPad, and Mac.  I don't do .NET.  I can teach C/C++/Objective C and I could teach C# language but am not a .NET developer.  I can teach mobile tech and I will soon know Android too.  I do have teaching experience and an provide a portfolio of apps in the AppStore as well as credentials going back to the late 80s. I continue to program from home.

An odd idea, barter-teaching, but hey, doesn't hurt to try.

Try this site, you will be interested in these lesson, they will help you alot!
http://free.lessons.l-ceps.com/learn-vi … son-1.html

Practicing talking to people is impractical.  At least here in Cần Thơ, the accents are too different and people speak way, way too fast.  People I talk to, who know me, will slow down just a little and we can talk.   People on the street talk like machine guns and slur dấu ngã and dấu hỏi together, and pronounce V like gi- and d-, and sometime say R as G,  that's hopeless.  I'll never understand that.  I listen to the news, I get most words.

Closed