Marsascala - What's it like living there, good & bad points

Hi All,

I am intending to make Marsascala my home when we get to Malta soon but want to get a feel for it first.

If anyone have first-hand experience of living there your input would be invaluable.

Many thanks

Ken

Love it. It's a small town with few high-rises, no pressure from overcrowding, all the amenities you'll need - bank, restaurants, small shops/supermarkets with the basics etc. and the people are friendly and helpful. We live near St Thomas Bay, can walk to the beach and walk on the headland to Marsaxlokk - bliss. The sunsets are spectacular, the breeze fresh. What more do you need?

Marsascala the best village in Malta!

15 minutes to/from the Airport, nice promenade, local relaxed atmosphere, plenty of amenities. On street parking is a problem on weekends unless you have a garage. But it's the same all over the island. The newly opened family park (free to the general public) is great for all ages. Many convenience shops to choose from nearby and good number of places to eat, wheher it be a sit down meal or a cheap takeaway. Tiffany's Kiosk do the best Pizza in town :)

As a regular visitor to Malta, there's nowhere else I'd prefer to stay. The South of Malta is the REAL Malta!!

Hi Biddy, MW-89..

That's just what I needed, did not have a chance to see if first hand when we were across last year but from what I have read and saw on YouTube it's exactly the place where we want to settle.

MW-89 I see you're from Sunderland, I'm just across the Tyne myself in Whitley Bay.

Ken

mw-89 wrote:

As a regular visitor to Malta, there's nowhere else I'd prefer to stay. The South of Malta is the REAL Malta!!

Can't agree with that; Gozo is.
Marsaskala is good but not that good.

redmik wrote:
mw-89 wrote:

i cant agree with you either Red - see what i did there!

toonarmy9752 wrote:
redmik wrote:
mw-89 wrote:

i cant agree with you either Red - see what i did there!

Why am I not surprised :)

:o:P

isn't it Marsaskala ?

Have seen it spelt both ways!!

biddy wrote:

Have seen it spelt both ways!!

I think, but not sure, its with a k in Maltese, and a c in English

mmm council website, in English, spells with a k
http://marsaskala.lc.com.mt/

redmik wrote:
mw-89 wrote:

Gozo is not Malta though.

I love Gozo but wouldn't want to live there.

mw-89 wrote:
redmik wrote:
mw-89 wrote:

Gozo is not Malta though.
I love Gozo but wouldn't want to live there.

'Chacun a son gout', mate.
Gozo is as Malta was when I worked there in the 70's.
It is also a part of the Republic. (Me being pedantic) :)

pedantic - are you sure....

toonarmy9752 wrote:

pedantic - are you sure....

Capital p

Love the South... Ken there is Divemed Dive school there... Say no more ;)

scubaboy wrote:

Love the South... Ken there is Divemed Dive school there... Say no more ;)

Oh, forgot about them :)

Seems like the South has a lot going for it (as well as all the other parts ++ diplomacy at it's best)

That's with a capital D :P

It's nice but the south is very ''Maltese''.

That's what we like about it. When in Rome........

biddy wrote:

:D

Rocking Ken wrote:
biddy wrote:

:D

but what have the Romans ever done for us ?

They fixed the roads, they kept crime under control, they provided water and sewerage systems. Yeah, but what have they ever done for us? Life of Brian

biddy wrote:

They fixed the roads

I thought that was Brussels

georgeingozo wrote:
biddy wrote:

They fixed the roads

I thought that was Brussels

Didn't think Brussels was in 'Life of Brian'.........what part did he play?

Third centurian on the left

Romans built the roads, Brussels filled in the potholes

but the holes keep sprouting up again.....!!!!!

depending on what you expect.
Marsaskala is not a spot for foreign tourists, but a "holiday village" for Maltese ... and it's developing and prospering.
Marsaskala is not the right place if you want to have exclusive restaurants and shops, discos or any other vivid nightlife.
Marsaskala is not the right place if you're looking for a quiet and stress-less location ;)
Marsaskala is not the right place if you're looking for a job in office or hospitality sector.

... but I think for all other reasons, Marsaskala could be the right place to stay :cool:

Markus

toonarmy9752 wrote:

Brussels often repeat

:)

georgeingozo wrote:

Third centurian on the left

Oh I see.......

...........so who was 'the very naughty boy'?

toonarmy9752 wrote:

How can a hole sprout up??? holes go down :P

Rocking Ken wrote:
toonarmy9752 wrote:

How can a hole sprout up??? holes go down :P

See Total Recall 2012 :)

Any more up to date comments on marsascala? I visited last month for a  few hours and loved it. What's it like in winter time?

We've been here, St Thomas Bay, for over 3 years and never regretted our decision. Wouldn't live anywhere else. Close to beaches, walks, nature. Good bus services, local shops, eateries, friendly people (locals and expats) - what more do you need? Also close to airport. Winter dffers every year - two years ago it was the worst in memory and last winter was mild and warm - or so I believe - we escaped!!

Thanks for reply. Do you think there are many furnished apartments for around the 400, 450 mark to rent. Not planning to move until early new year. I understand most of the estate agents websites are out of date. I was looking at the St. Paul's area, but now having second thoughts. Any additional info would be great. Many thanks

You may find a 2br, apt for that rental but not many 3br. Prices are going up as owners think that MSK is becoming popular and they are hoping to make a killing with the new education establishment proposed for this area. Yet there are many empty apts not to mention the unfinished ones. Best is to come over and meet locals who may be able to help you rather than agents. Look at the Sunday Times of Malta classifieds and walk around looking at To Let signs on apt blocks  - there are many.

Thanks for reply biddy. Am coming out on another  scout around in November. So will start asking around. I take it a lot of the bars will still be open. I won't be needing a 3 bed place as its only me. Best wishes

I was just commenting the other day that it looked as the nicest town in Malta (not been to Gozo yet) and I have (I think) visited every small town in Malta, maybe I am missing one or two in the deep south. At least they sure have the most impressive tower/fort in the islands in my opinion.

It is like a sort of St Paul's Bay before being too modernized and with less crowds & traffic.

By the way, some idea of what happened to the unfinished apartment complex in front of the tower which ruins the view?