Visiting for the first time in September-Hoping to re locate within 5y

Hello everyone! Wish you all the best. I am making my first trip to the DR in September. I would like to open a line of communication for advice on moving, setting up different things, advice- simple things like that. Nothing too crazy, just would be nice to know some locals who have done what I want to do and get their best feedback. Of course, maybe even becoming friends would happen- Who knows. I am in my early 30's and would like to find out about real estate, banking, general CD's and lifestyle. Realistically, USA is not going to be a great retirement option, so I would like to set my self up for success down in the caribbean. I look forward to learning and meeting each of you in these rooms, perhaps down the road in person- in a few years! PLease communicate openly and honestly. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum.  It is best to ask specific questions and  then you will get answers. we are friendly helpful and accept all offers of beer and alcoholic bribes........lol

Welcome to the forum and do ask away.  Some of us have been here for a while and will be able to share some great information.
As Planner said asking specific  questions makes it easier to give you the information you are looking for.

Where are you visiting in September?

Bob K

Thanks for the responses! I am still trying to learn how to navigate the site..LOL.
I am visiting Punta Cana in September. Going to do the whole vacation thing, while I am trying to scout locations and such.
I think the biggest question for me is the banking situation.
The same reason that draws my attention to the DR, is one that I am most worried about. As far as security of banks and money- I know it is backed (FDIC like program). Any feedback on banking and the real issues- if any? Banks that you coule recommend? I am thinking of puitting the minimal in a CD and learning the system, and seeing how it does and if it stays true to what is gauranteed. If I wnt to retire early, that is the vital part.
LOVE all the information on this site! Thanks so much- First round on me.

Banks here work a bit different then you are used to.  The Central Bank is where  you will likely want a CD from.  It is pretty stable and safe,  BUT,  I would never put all my money in one small country!  You need to be careful of this.

Scouting while on vacation sounds like a good plan.  Make plans to meet with some of us for some one on one help if that is possible. I am in Santo Domingo but often go to PUnta Cana,  we have some people who are in Punta Cana full time as well.

Keep asking questions and we will do our best to help.

Planner,
Thank You so much. This is my first blog experience- I use social media extensively) but I spent some time on here yesterday and read your day to day, and most of the threads. So much information. What I am tryign to to is to read through everything so that you do not have to answer the same thing twice..LOL. We get there Sept 29th. Would love to meet with anyone for a drink or conversation. My wife and I will be coming down to celebrate our 1 year anniversary. This is going to be great- I want to say Thanks!! I am sure so many people have benefited by your generosity on here.

You are very welcome and thank you for reading the other threads!!!! Much appreciated.  And congrats early....

If your travels include the north coast, and they should sometime before you "settle on a place", let me know. We have been here full time for 7 years.

Bob K