Searching for the right location, suggestions?

My bride & I will be visiting & traveling around the whole country for 6 to 8 weeks soon. Our goal is to find the ideal climate for our retirement needs. We're searching for a private piece of property and high enough elevation to not need air conditioning, few or no mosquitoes, no poisonous snakes, but enough sunshine days to grow an organic garden. We would like to have natural water (creek, river, or well) electricity, and internet. Our long term ultimate goal is to be off the grid. We would like to be  less than a 2 hour distance from a good size hospital. We have looked at the Yunguilla Valley but we would appreciate all the help we can get with your suggestions. Thank you & God bless.
  Hal

Hi Hal,

No ribbing intended; when you find that, would you let me know please?

George

I will let you know for sure. What I didn't mention was that we don't want to be in a gated community  but rather we look forward to merging with Ecuadorians. We also look forward to expatriot friends. Take care. Hal

Thanks Hal, that is my MO too. I hope to hear from you.

George

What you ask is a lot, so one place will not fit all those expectations.

Places you might want to check out are, beside Yunguilla Valley:

1. Cuenca: Large city, very beautiful and lots of expats. Worth looking although it lest fits your requirements.

2. Vilcabamba: just south of Loja and one of the more famous Ecuadorian towns. Could go out from there to find off-grid property.

3. Zumora: It is about three hours north and west of Loja, located a little less than 4,000 feet elevation. It is, in my opinion, the friendliest and safest town in Ecuador. Easy to find a place out away from the city that is more secluded, nestled among the banana, suger cane, and coffee plants. Cheaper than all the other places mentioned.

4. Loja: definitely not full of expats. Here, you will want to know as much Spanish as you can. But, a while back there was a house for sale north of the city that was well off the beaten track. The Malacatos river ran along the dirt road in the front. Haven't been by there in a while, but loved the orchids growing along the trail.

These all sound good. My bride and I look forward to checking these out soon. Thank you very much for your suggestions. Have a great day and God bless.

Hello Joseph
  I Cannot find Zumora either on my paper map or on Google maps could you give me a reference so that I can locate it. I did find a Zaruma. Thanks a lot I appreciate Your help. Hal

Hal:

Joseph may have meant Zamora. The link takes you to Wikipedia, though not a lot of info there.

Or perhaps Zaruma, which you've found.

Bob

Sorry to have made this so confusing. I was also working with another thread talking about both Zaruma, El Oro and Zamora-Chinchipe, (the province names make them easier to look up). Since I have dyslexia, my head nearly explodes trying to keep these two straight. But, I should have been more careful. Here is information that is a bit clearer; both are referenced in relationship to Loja Ecuador. You can look at each using maps.google.com

Zamora

Zamora is located an hour east of Loja traveling along E45/50. That route takes you down the backside of the mountain range where Loja is located and enters into the region call the orient (where the Amazon is located). This area is very hot and rainy and not favored by most North Americans. Zamora is a gold mining town and interesting in that regard, and also for the waterfalls and bird population in that region. Visit and see, but it is unlikely it is what you are looking for. It's Wikipedia page is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zamora,_Ecuador; however, the page contains little information other than basic statistics.

Zaruma

Zaruma is located about three hours north and west of Loja. If you travel E35 west out of Loja, Zaruma is located directly north from where E24/50 and E35 split. You will be coming down the front side of the mountain when approaching Zaruma which is at an elevation of less than 4000 feet. This is the city for which I speak so highly. Unlike many small towns that tend to be located in valleys, Zaruma is on the side of the mountain. The streets mostly go straight up or down, much like San Francisco. It's architecture is charming and the people are some of the friendliest I have met. They say that Zaruma women are the prettiest, and I can say that is generally true, not that, that is important, but it does say something about their pride. The wikipedia page for Zaruma is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zaruma.

Great information Joseph! This is exactly the kind of information I was hoping to find on this blog. My bride & I will definitely be visiting Zaruma in the next few few weeks. Thanks so much for taking the time to help us!
God bless.   Hal

You are most welcome.

After seeing this again, I realized that I could have caused more confusion. The instructions I gave regarding Zaruma would not be appropriate driving instructions. They were more for orientation. If you are driving on E35 to Zaruma, a little less than halfway between Catamayo and the E24/50 and E35 split is a dirt road where you must turn right (North), as you come down a steep incline. You can see this road on maps.google.com. You will see a shrine for the Virgin Mary on the right, before the turnoff. I don't remember the exact distance, but it will alert you to turn soon. The road is slanted slightly back towards the direction your were coming from. I don't remember if it is marked, but I think the name is Chinchas-Portovelo. The dirt road continues for another two hours. There is a longer route that does not travel on a dirt road, but I don't know the instructions for that.

Got it. Thanks Joseph!

You are doing the right thing by travelling around to check out different places. From your desires I think that Vilcabamba or Yanguilla valley might be your only choices. I have lived in Vilcabamba, Cotacachi, and now Puerto Lopez. Each of course has some positives and some negatives. Your perception of what you find will of course make your decision.  If you decide on Vilcabamba I am selling (below market which you can check out when you are there) a 3/4 ac riverfront propetty 8 miles out of town for $16,500.  I found it to be one of the best climates in Ecuador. I am selling because I am taking my Ecuadorian wife back to the US so she can get her residency and US Passport. Hopefully we will return to Ecuador in 2 years or less.  Take Care and I wish you the best in your touring.  Steve

Thanks Steve. We probably won't be purchasing anytime soon, but may get in touch with you next month just so we can take a look anyhow.
The running water is a big plus for us. Thanks again for your response . Good luck with your wife's residency here in the USA.
  God bless,
    Hal

Hal , We live on the Coast, at the Ocean , in Bahia . Would you consider this area ? I can send you more information if you are interested . Great growing area as well as Beautiful , warm Ocean .Plenty of water, and lots of nice expats as well as great Ecuadorian population to get to know . We love it here! The Southern Coast is drier and as you go North it gets a little wetter . We are in the middle northern area . Plenty of water , fertile soil, trees and the fun of and calming effects of the Ocean along with all the fun Ocean things to do . Let me know if you want more information . Charlie

Hi Charlie. Thanks for the post. It all sounds good so yes, I would love some more information. My concern regarding your location is being too warm sometimes. My bride is not heat tolerant at this point in her life, if you know what I mean. We look forward to your info' . Thanks again & have a great day.
  Hal

Hal ,We are displaced Seattleites ( A strange group with fins on the bottom of our feet , from too much rain ) And we are also known to be a little soggy at times (all wet) . Having said that yes the Ocean is a relaxing , calming , and yet fun and warm part of our lives now . We yearned for a warmer , Ocean experience as our Ocean was freezing cold even in the Summer . We were 3 hours from the Ocean as we lived near Seattle which is on Puget Sound .The wonderful breeze that flows through here every day is from the Humboldt Current which is a cooler , low salination current . It keeps us cool ! The temperature remains at 70' to about 85' daily here .We find that we use A/C only  at night as we want to be cooler when we sleep .With screens on the windows we don't have the bugs coming in and it is nice and cool most of the time .There are some mosquitoes here , but we apply Johnsons Off in Cream form with no odor and we don't get bitten when we are out at night . We do not want to be in cooler climates nor steamy hot climates . We experienced the cool climate in Quito and the steamy hot climate in Guayaquil . Not for us , we've had enough of the cool and certainly can't handle the hot steamy climate like Miami . So here is moderate and just about right , with the Sun providing nice doses of Vitamin D and yet nice and cool from the wonderful breeze !The topography of trees and lots of water is very important as some areas we found do not have enough water .We are used to trees and the cactuses and dry heat are not for us .The pace of life here is slow and relaxing . We have learned that rather than fighting the manana attitude , we are embracing and even enjoying it . After living a frantic busy lifestyle and working 7 days for many years this place is such a change and so healing in all aspects . We owned our own business for 40 years and are now permanent residents of Ecuador ! What a change! So there are plenty of nice restaurants here , a mall being built , banks,and shops with almost everything we need . We end up going to Manta or Portoviejo when we need major items . About an 1 and  1/2 hour drives to both . Some Government Offices are there also . For larger purchases like furniture you can find much better selections there . There are furniture stores here but not as many . Maybe a little higher prices .I got my tires in Manta.My Cedula I got in Guayaquil . Visas permanent we got in Quito . But life here is quiet and peaceful and relaxing . No real traffic . can be anywhere in town in 5 minutes . The locals are warm , friendly and all want to chat . The expats are also very friendly . We have get togethers with both groups together it is so much fun !One of the things my wife and I love to do is greet and spend time with visitors !  In my former life I mostly did phone and internet work , so we are really enjoying the meeting and greeting of both locals and expats coming here to visit and to live !So when you come here , I would suggest a trip up the Coast if you fly into Guayaquil .We can help you if you need tips on where to stay in Manta or up here . The area north of us to Pedernales is beautiful . The scenery and nice little towns are fun and quaint . The food is great and really cheap. There is a nice little place north of Pedernales called Coco Solo that is fun to stay at.It's rustic and has a nice beach . It's really fun there and the Owners are great . If you like it up here there are several rentals and many developments available to buy land or homes . When you come ask and we'll help you find them . Well Hal enough for now . Let us know when you'll come and we'll show you around if you like . Can help with hotel res . etc. Hope I have helped you . Charlie

Hi Hal,
I live in Salinas on the south coast of Ecuador and have friends that live in Canoa on the northern coast across the estuary from Bahia. The north coast has lots of green vegetation and is cooler than here on the south coast, however, if you are anywhere on the coast you will most likely need air-conditioning or at least several good fans during the high season months (mid-Dec to April) as well as good mosquito repellant.

Believe me, I am a mosquito magnet and when we were in Canoa this March, at one time I had 15 bites on each ankle/leg area and that was with using Off repellant. Glad I live on the south coast, warmer and less vegetation here but not as many bugs &  mosquitoes.

If you are looking for year round cooler climates and fewer mosquitoes you would be better off sticking to the inland areas like Loja, Villacabamba or Cotacachi to name a few.

The coasts of Ecuador, both north and south have a lot to offer and are great to visit but from your criteria, sounds like not where you would want to live year round.
Hope this helps answer some of your questions, enjoy your time in Ecuador when you visit.

Carlene
Telling it like it is :)

Hi Charlie,

That was an awesome post you gave Hal! Wow that info was great so that being said my wife & I are paiently waiting for our house to sell and then we most likely will be neighbors soon.We are looking for that perfect temp Bahia has so can you give us any good hotel info you have for Bahia & Manta because we are planning a 10 day trip there to find a rental so we can look around for our dream house to purchase on or close to the ocean

Kurt & Jeanette

Kurt and Jeanette , Thank you so much for your warm , friendly post ! We look forward to seeing you when you visit Bahia!   Enjoying the warm , friendly town of Bahia , with my nice soothing Ocean Breeze and the beautiful waves across from my home!  Safe travels and enjoy your time in Ecuador! Charlie

Wow, Best response I've had since asking on this forum. We look forward maybe to seeing you guys when we're there next month. thank you so much for this all this wonderful detailed information. We're mainly traveling by bus and  plane and have been advised not to attempt to Rent-A-Car ,however at some point we may want to Rent one . Do you have any suggestions for doing that locally? Have a great day and God bless.
Hal

Hello, interesting stuff this "where to live" thing. I have a home along the border with Brazil and if you think the coast has bugs guess who's got bigger ones!?. My wife & kids love our domain, so much so when I ask if they'd prefer a move to the mountains or the coast out comes the machetes, bows and small hand guns (kidding) but you get the message. It isn't for everyone but I have to say the beauty and the majesty of the jungle far outweighs any of the nuisances we encounter. We have A/C, running hot & cold water and a septic system for waste (diesel & wind generators) Pretty much what we had in Florida. We drive 4 wheeler s, walk quite a bit or use the dirt bikes  or our pedl bikes and we even have an Australian,German and a British neighbor all of whom are married with 3 & 4 children each. Notice I did not divulge the location? because the population of 148 folks which includes a doctor and dentist is just fine the way it is and all here have promised to not invite new entrants. try to find something like I described, you'll never regret it.

Hal, Buenos Dias (Good Morning or Good Day) and Greetings from Bahia Ecuador,  Yes there are rentals available in Manta or Guayaquil. Be prepared for the prices (very high) and get full insurance as the laws down here are different in the event of an accident.  I used Budget, but there is also Avis. About double what you are used to paying for less car!  I was a bad boy and rented for 2 months as we wanted to explore the entire Coast From Rio Verde (North of Esmeraldas ) to Salinas.  We found it expensive and not very practical to hire the locals to drive for us.  We had to feed and house them as well when we traveled.  The worst part is if you get someone who doesn't care and won't bother to show you anything or are wild and scary drivers.  If you do rent a car I don't recommend driving at night.  Also ignore and just let the crazy drivers pass you.  Move over and let them go, as they will pass you anyway.  Many drivers down here have had no drivers training.  I own a car and drive all over the Country.  We have full insurance. It is a scary proposition to drive in Guayaquil or Quito.  They are the worst drivers and incredibly wild.  But we have been scouring the entire Country, especially the Coast, looking for Property to build on.  So we needed a car as it just isn't practical to do it without a car.  I have driven in LA, New York, Seattle, and many other big cities. Other than Acapulco Mexico, I can't think of any city that has worse drivers than Quito or Guayaquil.  I hope no one is offended by my opinions about the drivers but remember they are my opinions only.  In our town, Bahia there are only calm drivers with the exception of the taxi drivers and some motorcycles who always seem to be in a rush, and ignore the laws.  Otherwise the driving in this whole section of the Coast, from Bahia North is very easy and laid back.  Like I said they always want to pass you even on corners with no vision, so we just let them go.  Hal, we look for ward to seeing you when you visit.  If we can help you in any other way , please let us know.  Enjoy your day.  Charlie