Hey, Football player here with some questions :)

Hey everyone. I'm 21 years old, from England but currently in Australia playing football in the State League there. I'm looking for a new football adventure and Malta seems quite nice. I know about the football, I know about the '$350 cap' and I also know that realistically most are on between $1000-1500 per month. I'm looking at coming out on Holiday there and 'trialing' with some teams, I'll probably be looking to come for around 3-4 weeks. From research it seems that maybe Birkirkara is an ideal location as it seems to be in the middle of a lot of the clubs? if anyone can confirm this it would be great. If it all works out, me and my girlfriend will probably move out here. I have a few questions please:

- Is Birkirkara in the middle of most of the football clubs?
- If earning lets say 1000 a month is that enough to live on with bills/food/rent? (Lets say rent is 400 P/M)
- We both only speak English, will that be a problem? especially for her looking for a job?
- Is there jobs like in restaurants/hotels for my girlfriend?

am not sure but i didnt think that the teams here were "paying" players...

where did you get this information from.?

I've been doing some research online :) The salary cap is 350euro per week but most players are on 700/100 with bonus's apparently. A friend of mine in Australia also had a stint in Malta and was paid.

Thanks!

ah ok - wasnt aware of that - cheers.

You might want to read this before deciding to move to Malta, it seems that paying a wage is not a priority for Maltese teams!

http://www.fifpro.org/news/news_details/2188

Terry

Thanks for that Terry. That is a real shame as it seems like a wonderful place, really disappointed with what I just read. I'm sure if it's a legal contract then they can be taken to court, good luck to the players with getting their pay sorted.

remember here joshh it can take 5-10 years just to get to court  - even the local PN party (nationalist) havent paid their staff.  paying the foreigner isnt top priority for sure#

ah that's a real shame. I may still venture over there and hopefully it will work out for me as it mentions most teams are fine it's just certain ones.