A place to mingle?

Hello, I am new here, I'm just wondering if anyone have any experience in finding places in Jakarta to mingle?
I'm actually a Jakartan native, but have spent 7 years (18-25) of my life in Canada to study and work, now that I've been back in Jakarta for a year, I have to make a new network of friends in this ever-developing city! And it proves to be pretty hard for people in their late 20s/early 30s, at least in my case.

Finding natives acquaintances through work is fine, but I find in my line of work (creative/fine art) not a lot of them are into evening/night social outing (either married, or they don't drink at all)

I have found Kemang's local coffeeshops and art venues are good for mingling and having new people from any nationalities to have random conversations with, but I wonder if anyone else here have any other suggestions on which places one could go in Jakarta and find new acquaintances to go have a drink with, or simply have a good social time? Art gallery, pubs, library maybe?

Sorry if the question is rather strange, or a crapshoot! It is harder to find people just to have conversations with over beer/wine/liquor etc, who knows maybe some of you will have good suggestions :) thank you!

(Is this the right category to post into? I apologize if it's not!)

Hi Plaindot ! Welcome back to Indonesia, hope you are making lots of new friends who are into arts or not :)

Try Molly Malone's in Arcadia building, you can play pool there with random people, they have live music aswell. I can PM you some of the contacts from here who wouldnt mind another hang out buddy. Lol
I organize gatherings for the forum members but only when I'm town, which means once or twice a year. But I'll be glad to share some contacts with you.

Annie

Hello! thanks for the welcome and yes that would be great! My pool skill is super rusty but I could learn again :)

Thank you for your help, Annie!

I also have a friend who organize "pool for non pool players" event every month, I will PM you his number then :-)

That would be super! Thanks!

Sent you a PM :-)

Sophie Fisher wrote:

I also have a friend who organize "pool for non pool players" event every month, I will PM you his number then :-)

that event seems familiar for me...
:lol:

aabie ryan wrote:
Sophie Fisher wrote:

that event seems familiar for me...
:lol:

Its probably the same event,most likely ;)
Lol. Did you make it to the last one?

Plaindot can contact Aabie aswell! Haha

Plaindot maybe you can choose to go to supermall for shopping :D

Hi

I have just moved to Jakarta and have the same problem. I mostly try to connect with people through my work network. Pizza Ibira in Plaza Indonesia, Melly's at Jalan Jaksa is normally where I have found nice conversations. There is this great english tour at the museum national which was great starter for me and I highly recommend it!. Social House in Grand Indonesia is also pretty nice. A great coffee place in central jakarta is anomali copi at Plaza Indonesia.

I hope that helps!

I can very much relate to your and Sharpshooter's case. Social House sounds nice, is it a bar?

I should go to Melly's next time! And Social house is a restaurant, i think it has bars, but I'm not sure if I can find conversation partner there :)

Social house is more of a restaurant than a bar. Even though they're close late, but all the tables are separated which makes it difficult to mingle. People come there with their friends.

I suggest bars like Molly Malone, Murphy, EP, Aphrodite, Cazbar or Fez. There you can easily play pool with others, or watch some live music performance :-)

Hello,

There are some nice cafes to have come chit chat in Plaza Senayan; Monolog, Union and Djournal cafe in Grand Indonesia. Good place, nice crowds.

Reading room in Kemang timur is nice place as well for quiet reading times and chatting up with interesting people on politics, social issues, and other general stuff. The boss has a great collection of books and is a film maker/director. Good ambiance.

I went past by reading room many times on my way to Coffee War, I should try that sometime! I love books :D Thanks Carol!

Hi plaindot,
Actually a lot of good place to eat and hangout in Jakarta. However, to meet new people may be quite difficult, because they usually go and interact with their friends. To meet new people, maybe I can suggest you to go to the country club. Most likely you'll be able to meet with some professionals in there.
Btw, nice to have you back in jakarta :)

CarolMae wrote:

Reading room in Kemang timur is nice place as well for quiet reading times and chatting up with interesting people on politics, social issues, and other general stuff. The boss has a great collection of books and is a film maker/director. Good ambiance.

Oh yea, I went there a couple of times. Free internet access, nice and cozy place to relax.

Hooray, i got new places to see :)
Thanks for info everyone!

Sorry for picking up this thread late

Cazbar is my favourite for meeting people in a social setting, mixed Indonesian/ Expat crowd and good music Tues/Fri/Sat

Otherwise i'd join the pool for non pool players events

Good luck

Sam

Samhand wrote:

Sorry for picking up this thread late

Cazbar is my favourite for meeting people in a social setting, mixed Indonesian/ Expat crowd and good music Tues/Fri/Sat

Otherwise i'd join the pool for non pool players events

Good luck

Sam

HaLo Sam,

Cazbar have events for non pool players?
What are kind events?

Cazbar is just social, friendly people

Upstairs pool and downstairs music

There is a group "pool for non pool players" but I'm not a member...

Samhand wrote:

Cazbar is just social, friendly people

Upstairs pool and downstairs music

There is a group "pool for non pool players" but I'm not a member...

Oalah.. i see :)
Lol. Thanks for the info Sam.

No problem :)

Oh, I live very close to Cazbar! That's cool, I'll check it out too. Thanks!