Landlord answers my 10 questions - What do you think Expats?

Landlord answers my 10 questions - What do you think Expats? Should I sign? I sent him the questions and this is how he answered .....

The rent is either 550euro per month paid 1 month in advance or 500 euro per month payed 2 months in advance plus 75 euro per month deposit for water and electricity bills

1) Bills - Being charged (Water & Electricity) Are we on domestic or commercial rates? We are EU citizen and we are taking up residence.

Domestic Rates

2) Hidden extras for rent (Tax etc.) – No or Yes?

No

3) Any parking restrictions. If so, how far is public transport and Mellieha town?

You can park the car next to the apartment and if you wish to use the public transport, the bus terminal is 3 min walk down the road

4) Is there a time switch on the water heaters or can you get one fitted – do you have a separate water heater for the kitchen?

There are two water heaters one for the en suite and bathroom and another one in the kitchen. 

5) TV, phone and internet connections – what's available – If not, Can one be fitted IN THIS AREA?

The cables for TV and phone are all done through the apartment, when you get to Malta you have to choose the provider and package you wish and within 2 days they come and connect everything

6) Any air con in the house?

There is one air con in the main bedroom

7) Does the rent include charges for communal costs for lighting, lift and maintenance, and regular cleaning?

The apartment is on the ground floor you do not need to use a lift or some light.  So there are no charges for communal

8) Some of the beds in the apartment look cheap and frimizzy – Can they be changed?

If you wish to change anything no problem for us but at your own cost. 

9) If we like the place after 6 months, will you consider a 1-year extension?

Yes you can extend for 1 yr

10) If all the questions are answered, we will need pictures that are more detailed because we cannot view the physical house.

You have photos of every room, but if you like more i can send some more to you

If you havent actually viewed this property in person then I wouldn't sign anything, there are lots of properties available in Malta and Gozo and the best advice is to rent somewhere for a week or two like a hotel or hostel and then go round and view properties etc, you will find something easily.

1) Bills - Being charged (Water & Electricity) Are we on domestic or commercial rates? We are EU citizen and we are taking up residence.

Domestic Rates

Should have asked if you were on Domestic or Residential rates. Domestic is the higher

Julian

scubaboy wrote:

Domestic Rates

Should have asked if you were on Domestic or Residential rates. Domestic is the higher

Julian

Also, you will almost certainly start on domestic - whats important is if he will allow you to go on residential once you have your eResidency cards

dont sign until you see the place and the area - dont sign if you are on domstic without written acknowledgement from owner that he will allow you on the bills once you get residency. water heaters its easy to fit a time switch. i wouldnt worry about the water heating. Thats controlable by you

check all your furniture but only do so once you are here - furniture is very personal one mans comfort is another mans pain.

if yo have doubts about the beds - be wary - the last thing you want to do not having been here and seen the place or location -  is eventually move and have to lug furniture within a short time - where in mellieha is this place - i live here.

maybe Toon could go and look for you

NB dont even rely on photos they may be old ones.....they often are. if you tell me where i can let you know of the location etc - let me know privately who the landlord is - if you wish. if you wish i can take actual photos of the outside for you.

Thanks you all Expats!

Ohh Gosh, I thought domestic was residential – My bad!

Yeah, I have not seen the house physical but apparently, it is an elevated ground floor Maisonette.

Toon – Thanks for the offer, I will be in your debt for this.

Let me send you the details. I am using an agency called ‘'DOORS''

Thanks
Meddie

fire away smeddie boy

Hi SMeddie,

I went through the same as you are now and I was nearly sending a deposit to secure the apartment before coming to Malta. After following the advise giving here in forum, I did not send any money and I rented a place in B'kara for few days before getting to any commitments.
After I got here, I contacted my landlady back and I only signed the tenancy agreement after seeing the apartment. I did not get the one I was supposed to rent coz she got someone else prior to my arrival, but in the end, I managed to get a 2nd apartment from the same owner. I would advise you to do the same as it's always better to see with you own eyes before you sign something.

Btw, as my wife just got a job in Attard and she has to start working really early in the morning, getting from Mellieha to Attard everyday, it's a bit hard for her. She has to wake up at 4 am to start her job at 6:45 am. Therefore, I might be looking for another place closer to Attard.

The apartment where I am now it's a 3 bed ap with 3 double bedrooms, 2 single beds on 2 of the rooms and the master bedroom with ensuite. There is also a private washroom and a communal roof, quite spacious and I am paying €425/month. I have put an advert on the housing section, so, if in case you would be interested, let me know :)

Best of luck!
Antonio

Its amazing how a little group of people can be of so much assistance...

I am always in awe of how things are done on this site.

Government next eh ;)

FYI - I am preparing an exposé of all the agencies I contacted over the last six months.

Gosh, most of them have not replied to a single email.

mantonas wrote:

Hi SMeddie,

I went through the same as you are now and I was nearly sending a deposit to secure the apartment before coming to Malta. After following the advise giving here in forum, I did not send any money and I rented a place in B'kara for few days before getting to any commitments.
After I got here, I contacted my landlady back and I only signed the tenancy agreement after seeing the apartment. I did not get the one I was supposed to rent coz she got someone else prior to my arrival, but in the end, I managed to get a 2nd apartment from the same owner. I would advise you to do the same as it's always better to see with you own eyes before you sign something.

Btw, as my wife just got a job in Attard and she has to start working really early in the morning, getting from Mellieha to Attard everyday, it's a bit hard for her. She has to wake up at 4 am to start her job at 6:45 am. Therefore, I might be looking for another place closer to Attard.

The apartment where I am now it's a 3 bed ap with 3 double bedrooms, 2 single beds on 2 of the rooms and the master bedroom with ensuite. There is also a private washroom and a communal roof, quite spacious and I am paying €425/month. I have put an advert on the housing section, so, if in case you would be interested, let me know :)

Best of luck!
Antonio

Hi Antonio - I would definitely be interested. Let me PM you after work. I am swamped at the moment.

If you have photos - You have my email. I will trust your judgment.

Thanks.
Meddie

scubaboy wrote:

Government next eh ;)

That's true scubaboy! For me it's a give and take situation. I am grateful to this forum for the amount of help offered before my move to Malta and therefore, I am very happy if I can also be of some assistance :)

scubaboy wrote:

Government next eh ;)

Trust me - This site needs an APP! I use it on my phone like mad. I base all my Malta issues on you Expats.

Thanks again.

ok smeddie done.....

SMeddie wrote:

Hi Antonio - I would definitely be interested. Let me PM you after work. I am swamped at the moment.

Thanks.
Meddie

That's not a problem SMeddie! I am glad to take some recent pics from the ap and send them back to you via email. I cam tell you in advance that my landlady is a lovely person and she already helped a lot. If she wasn't that good, I wouldn't most defo recommend her over to you.

Cheerio,
Antonio

mantonas wrote:
SMeddie wrote:

Thanks.
Meddie

That's not a problem SMeddie! I am glad to take some recent pics from the ap and send them back to you via email. I cam tell you in advance that my landlady is a lovely person and she already helped a lot. If she wasn't that good, I wouldn't most defo recommend her over to you.

Cheerio,
Antonio

That's wonderful - If you could PM/email me tonight/today - Then I will decide ASAP.

Thanks again!
Meddie

SMeddie wrote:

That's wonderful - If you could PM/email me tonight/today - Then I will decide ASAP.

Thanks again!
Meddie

No worries, send me a PM with your email and I will get some pics sent to you tonight.

C ya ;)

Hi Meddie,

Already sent you couple of emails with information and photos about the apartment in Mellieha.

Let me know if you need any further details.

Cheerio,
Antonio

Hi

Antonio

Seen it - Liked it! Do you have Skype? Let's talk, send me your Skype ID and we go over a few things.

Thanks
Meddie

Nice to have chat with you Meddie!

Let's hope we have a positive feedback from my landlady tomorrow and we should be sorted mate!

Speak to you soon ;)

Good to see you may be sorted, if not I am also in Mellieha and happy to look at soemthing for you. My landlord also has places in this building coming up which i cna vouch for having viewed 3 of his before deciding on this one.

Be very careful. Don't sign anything unless you see where you are living. I suggest you stick to the coastal mecca before moving to the outer suburbs. Try Sweigi St Julians or Sliema at first.

There are many expat social groups like 246 or Meet ups, join as many of these as possible you will get to know many people quickly, and they will offer you advice. Its great support.

You need to also allow for the commissions of the agents. The commissions structure requires both the tenant and the landlord to pay the agent 50% of the first months rent for residential. They are sometimes not upfront about their rates so ask that question as paramount. If you are looking to buy then the commissions on top of the buying price is 10% from both the buyer and the seller. I believe this is very unique to Malta. Commercial it even more of a surprise, the agents want 10% of the total annual rent from both the tenant and the landlord. Then you have to get artitects and liase with MEPA for changes of use etc. It is very complicated. Beware.

We have had quite a few surprises with the differences in culture.

julie culley wrote:

If you are looking to buy then the commissions on top of the buying price is 10% from both the buyer and the seller.

thats not true

We have certainly been told that from the agent we dealt with. Albeit we did not have a very nice experience with them.

if you buy through an estate agent you pay no commission, the seller pays a negotiated commission, I believe typically 3.5-5%

if you buy through an unregulated/unregistered agent, you might pay 1% each

i also believe its important to stipulate whether you want sole agency as i believe there are lower commissions payable.....according to a freind of mine who recently sold his place....

On this page of Simon Mamo website http://www.simonmamo.com/en/commission-rates.htm a few months ago there was available the following information but for some reason they have recently removed the rates from the page which said this:

"Simon Mamo Real Estate is a member of the Federation of Estate Agents (Malta), and conforms with all the rules and directives issued by the FEA. The FEA falls under the Real Estate Trade Section of the Malta Chamber of Commerce.

Hereunder are the commission rates payable to estate agents as set by the Federation of Estate agents:

Sale of property under sole agency agreement:
        3.5% sale value + 18% VAT payable by vendor

Sale of property not under sole agency agreement:
        5% sale value + 18% VAT payable by vendor.

Commercial lets:
        10% of one years rent + 18% VAT payable by lessor, and
        10% of one years rent + 18% VAT payable by lessee
        In case of premium, 5% of premium + 18% VAT payable by lessor"