Odometer readings

Looking through the transport.gov.mt on bringing in a Used Private (M1) Vehicles I noticed the chapter below on required documentation - not seen any comment on this from anyone else: is it ignored?

For vehicles brought into Malta (from UK, Wales, Scotland and Ireland) as of the 1st April 2011, or thereafter an Odometer Certificate of Authenticity issued by a body approved by the Authority (JEVIC) showing the vehicle's authentic odometer
reading.

Isnt the milage on the MOT a guarantee for that?

no

Its standard now if you are importing a car into Malta. Its a rule aimed at independently  confirming the mileage before it arrives in Malta,  so why would we comment?

Terry

This is more info from the JVIC website.

http://www.jevic.com/en/activities/regu … ons/malta/

The idea is to stop the "clocking" of car mileage before importing to enhance the vehicles value.

Terry

If the last MOT states 120 000 miles and on arrival to the island the odometer says 80 000, then somethings wrong! But if the odometer says the same as the MOT, should not that be satisfying enough? "Normally" you can see on a car if the odometer has been "adjusted"

toonarmy9752 wrote:

no

Must be the shortest answer you ever made! Like it!

Maltom wrote:

If the last MOT states 120 000 miles and on arrival to the island the odometer says 80 000, then somethings wrong! But if the odometer says the same as the MOT, should not that be satisfying enough? "Normally" you can see on a car if the odometer has been "adjusted"

You can buy an electronic device from ebay that will alter the mileage on most modern cars and no one will know. If you then transport the car to Malta it does not need an MOT, also high mileage cars that are under 3 years old will look very attractive if you reduce the mileage from  150,000 miles ( a reps car in the UK will easily do that in 3 years) to 50,000 miles and they do not need an MOT.

Terry

Not as short as Toon's answer but I go for quantity not quality!

:top:

Terry

It's not a big deal to get one. We applied for an appointment on line from Jevic while still in London, and then received forms back from them to fill in. Paid by credit card online and sent the completed forms back by post. Didn't have to take the car in and received the certificate a few days later. If you don't do it in the UK you can apply in Malta but think it costs more. I don't suggest you wait for Malta though as you need to apply for registration within 30 days of arriving if you bring the car with you. There is enough hassle in changing your car insurance/no claim bonus and if you are applying for registration tax exemption it becomes even more complicated.....

tearnet wrote:

Not as short as Toon's answer but I go for quantity not quality!

:top:

Terry

short maybe - but nevertheless CORRECT