Living and working in Bali

I have a few questions about living and working in Bali. My husband and I have been wanting to spend a year or so living in Bali and experiencing a different culture. I spent 12 months in Malaysia with my family when I was 9 and this was the most amazing experience for me growing up. We have 2 children and would love them to experience a different way of life as well. I have no idea where to start thought.

We would love to live somewhere quite and preferably a non tourist area as I'd love my children to experience life in a smaller village type place. Any ideas where this may be?

Also, how hard would it be fo us to get work there? We don;t mind what we do. I used to speak Indonesian quite well as I studied it an university, however I haven't spoke for a while but with some lessons would be a good speaker. Would this help? I would love to teach English to local students or something is this type of work readily available in Bali?

Also, where would we start in looking for a house to live in?

Thanks!!

Hi Louise

Welcome to Expat.com Bali, I suggest you start your research right here by reading the many threads covering a large subject range.

Also we have an expat newspaper here called The Bali Advertiser which
you can Google it and read on Line
Hope this gives you a start
Howard

Hello ,I read about you in this blog that  you are going to live in Bali ,I`m surya and living in Bali ,I can recommend you ,It is better you stay in my village it`s name Singaraja there is a little beat tourist there ,if you interest please contact my email drasuryawati@yahoo,com

Louise, as for working here in Bali, you and your husband will find that very difficult. 

As a native born English speaker (and assuming you have teaching credentials) you might be able to find a low paying job teaching English in one of the many private schools here, but otherwise, unless a foreigner has specific education, skills and work experience that cannot be found within the population of available Indonesians, foreigners cannot be legally employed here.

On the other hand, you and your husband might consider starting a business here in Bali, and that would allow you to legally work running that business. 

As for the smaller village experience, have a look at the various villages around Ubud.  While Ubud center might be a bit too touristy for you, Ubud is surrounded by a number of smaller traditional villages.  You might also have a look at eastern Bali, particular the shore areas from just outside Gianyar all the way up to Tulamben.   Another area which is fantastic is Tabanan.