WORK and ACCOMMODATION

Hi my name is Vonny just arrived from Australia but I am British born and bred.

I am an English teacher looking for work in Kuala Lumpur.

I am also looking to share accommodation in a quiet residence within only 5 to 10 kms of Kuala Lumpur City, within easy reach of train/monorail system.

I am looking for a furnished room with own bathroom and air-con. I am willing to pay up to 600 myr per month for the right accommodation.  Non-smoking and quiet ppl.

If anybody can help me pls phone Vonny on 0163627406 thank u

Hello Vonny.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

So as to make it more visible, your post has been moved to the Kuala Lumpur forum.

Concerning the accommodation, you should post an advert in the Housing in Kuala Lumpur section. It shall help.

What kind of job are you looking for?

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi Vonney, welcome but I have to say 600 rm is very low for central kl with aircon. 1,000 rm min for somewhere ok for a non Malaysian.

I presume you mean an ESL teacher not a qualified school teacher. In that case have you done your homework? Malaysia isn't turn up and get job friendly kind of place! For one thing the work permit system stops that. Tefl salaries are very low and below work permit min rates so makes it harder. Best jobs are with British council and MOE (via the likes of Brighton education) consulting jobs that pay 7.5k rm a month. These go to people who apply and get job from abroad. of course possible you can get a job but hard work and risky. Most tefl is done by Malaysians actually with few foreigners. Some are semi retired or married to Malaysians and therefore have visas of some sort already.

Most tuition centres won't touch you as big penalties for using illegal workers - same in all subjects- so that leaves the relatively few language centres here. Westerners do get jobs in these but nothing as big as say Thailand or south Korea.

So you have lots of hunting to do! Universities employ teflers for teaching mostly non Malaysians so you can try them as well.