Application for the Spousal permit (Bi-1738)

Hi

I am a SA citizen and my foreign wife and I, got married and registered by a marriage officer 4 weeks ago. I have submitted the docs at DHA for capturing but its still appearing "single" on the website.

Her Tourist Visa is due to expire in July 23rd. Can I still start application for the Spousal permit (Bi-1738) with the marriage certificate from the marriage officer only?? I don't have the one from DHA

thanks

Hi bugzrock,

For better visibility a new topic was created from your post on the South Africa forum. Hope this might help.

Best of luck :)

David.

I think you should go to HA and apply for her spousal permit with the marriage certificate you received from an officer.
I'm not sure if I understood you correctly but here is my story. Me and my husband were married by a marriage officer too and he issued an ABRIDGED marriage certificate. After about a week we took all the documents including the above-mentioned certificate and applied for my permit in HA but we didn't really check if his status changed from "single" to "married" (as much as I remember our officer registered our marriage with HA himself, that was included in the fee we paid).

I am with Concordia, I also married a SA citizen, the officer did everything for us, within a week we checked and his status was already changed from Single to Married.
You should go to HA and chech yourself.

In reality, you can try apply for the permit, but without a valid marriage certificate already received, the permit may be denied. It doesn't matter how fast they register it on the system they have.

.. Now that l have a working permit, what will happen with my family, l mean my wife and kids? Resident permits?

Relative's permits that allow temporary residency only.

I am not sure whether l understand you well. Advise me about the procedure please

Hi. Thanks for the replies. I did go to HA, and now the status is finally changed to "Married". Took them 5 weeks to capture it. Next step to apply for the Spousal permit for my wife. Any advice on that? I have medical report, x-ray report, and Police clearance thus far...Been busy this week with all that. do you need to fill out the complete 13 pages of the Bi-1738 form? This is a free application? thanks

I went with all those completed docs to HA. now they say that her Tourist VISA, says "Cannot change conditions, and cannot extend". they guy said we need to get a letter from the Mission of country origin to waiver the condtions first then only she can appply for the permit. SOunds frustrating!

Inially they said we should fill out the Bi-1739 form, Its only 2 pages. I always thought it should be the Bi-1738 form?

Anyways, i'll what I can do at HA again next week. Her tourist VISA in due to expire end July - I hope i get the Waiver in time.

many Thanks,
Bugz