Life in the vista?

We went to see flats and houses in D2. The houses full of cracks and humidity problems with very poor maintenance. We also went to see flats in The Vista that are in very good condition. We did not see many people around so would like to hear from someone living there what is it like Thanks!

I stayed with my cousin in Thao Dien for 10 days. There was a street where they were building new villas, I would cruise up and down it in the morning. Pretty empty. Lots of expats would be walking their dogs.

I think district 2 is a new district. Last time I was there 4 years ago the place was flooded out. Still has some flooding issues but better than last time I was there and more lively activities.

Don't eat the che alongside the street. Man I got stomach problems after that.

One of my colleagues lives there, he likes it. My boss is about to move into one of the penthouse suits.
It's still fairly new so many empty apartments, that imo means you can haggle more on the price :)

Only down side I'm aware of is it's location. There doesn't seem to be much around there yet, but it's not exactly far from Thao Dien.

Hi! I live in The Vista and I love it!!! I can't ask for anything better than here! It has a gorgeous swimming pool a good size gym and the flats are nice too. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else!

it's going to be a happening place. yes pnairprincess, gorgeous swimming pool and gym. very good maintenance and residence services.

Yes, nice place and they have a Central Mart, mini grocery like just downstairs where u can buy fresh veggies, fresh salmon, and some meats. Soon they will be opening a Shalom Cafe downstairs and  some other stores.

I live there too, very nice place.. An Phu Thao Dien is the right place if you like it quiet.. All the shops and restaurants you need..

Yup! I love everything about it! I live here too!

Hello pnaiprincess (and everyone living in the area)

I'm going to move to TPHCM this September to live & work. How much is the price range for a nice western living condition such as the place you are staying at or for a decent flat/apt. in your area?

I don't like to live in the center of town. I prefer to live in a decent, safe, and quiet neighborhood & buy a motorbike to get around.  All comments & suggestions are welcome. :)

Thank you!
Roe

Hi! At The Vista in An Phu I pay  $1150 for
a 3 bedroom and 4 bathroom flat. 2 of
The bathrooms have no shower though. But you can get a flat here for $950. You can google it a The Vista An Phu. Have a nice day!

Thanks pnaiprincess! I am sure it is nice and luxury.  However, it is out of my budget range.  Besides, I don't need that much space, I only need a one bedroom apt. I have to spend some time to get settled once I am there, then spend one month to take the TESOL course, and then find work after that.  Thus, I have to budget it well.  But thank you so much for the info! :)

Wow, 1150 a month, I have rented whole houses for 500 a month, but then again I have never lived in an expat area.If you are looking for a cheaper place to live, you can try Craiglist Vietnam, many brokers there advertise places, be aware of extras when you rent some apartments.

I was looking at a place $150USD for a room in a shared house. Had pool, security and looked like 24/7 a/c.

It's in one of the classifieds but haven't got a reply back to my message to the owner of that ad. Anyways my fiance doesn't want me to rent it out. Any other girl I'm sure would love to live in that sort of luxury except my girl lol.

[moderated : please post in the housing section]

khanh44 wrote:

I was looking at a place $150USD for a room in a shared house. Had pool, security and looked like 24/7 a/c.

It's in one of the classifieds but haven't got a reply back to my message to the owner of that ad. Anyways my fiance doesn't want me to rent it out. Any other girl I'm sure would love to live in that sort of luxury except my girl lol.

I think with the price you give... can find a room but without pool & security

Yuli

Roe_Amerasian wrote:

Hello pnaiprincess (and everyone living in the area)

I'm going to move to TPHCM this September to live & work. How much is the price range for a nice western living condition such as the place you are staying at or for a decent flat/apt. in your area?

I don't like to live in the center of town. I prefer to live in a decent, safe, and quiet neighborhood & buy a motorbike to get around.  All comments & suggestions are welcome. :)

Thank you!
Roe

I think you need to know which District you will work and after decide where you will live. If not yet..you can live in a hotel...have a lot prices for hotels also. For example: live in D1 and D2 very good if you work in D1 but a bit far if you work at Tan Binh dist ( Near the airport )

And find a apartment in Sg is very easy....bcz it empty a lot.

it's in the housing classified. Pool, security, balcony, garden and on a big street not in one of those dirt roads one. Anyways they replied back to me but I had to tell them I was not interested. I got a scolding from my fiance when I told her about it.

Yuli_nguyen wrote:
khanh44 wrote:

I think with the price you give... can find a room but without pool & security

Yuli

Hi Roe! I live at The Vista! I love it here. We pay $1150 for a 3 bedroom/ 4 bathroom. Two bathrooms have showers, just a sink and toilet. You can google The Vista An  Phu. You will love the gym and pool here. And its like 7-10 mins from te city. Let me know if you like it, the lady who helped me get this place can help you. My place is furnished.

Hi Yuli - I agree, and thank you! 

Hello Pnaiprincess - I won't be in HCMC until Sept. and as mentioned previously: I am sure it is a nice place and comes with many amenities, however, it's way out of my budget.  Plus, I only need a one bedroom apartment.  Nevertheless, thank you for your info!

You welcome! I'm sure you can find way more cheaper ones around here. Good luck !

I too have been looking at Vista, it does seem nice. Pnaipriness, can you tell me if your place for $1150 includes maintenance fee. My budget is around $1000 including any add on's (excluding utilities).  Also anyone wish to comment on which between Vista, estella, imperia or cantavil (all in D2 I think) they would choose. I'm not on the ground yet so difficult to compare from the interweb :-)

Hi! Yes it is including management fee. But you can get a $950 flat including management fee also. For some reasons the flats have different prices. I pay separate electric, water, cable and Internet.

Thanks, that's helpful. Could a 3 bed be had for a $1000? ...and I think the variance must be due to different owners wanting different rents rather than a central letting agent standardising prices. Also I have noticed the furniture can differ so this could also be a reason.

What were you asking about the $1000? I didn't get it?

Sorry, Would I be able to rent a 3 bedroom apartment for $1000 at Vista or is the $950 apartment you mentioned a 2 bedroom only?
Thanks

Some expats who come to live in Saigon makes economical crisis for the majority citizens (the 'poor', in your language) and other expats. Especially expats in An Phu and Thao Dien area. Without a second think they pay full amount which the landlord ask as rent and caution deposit (now they are asking 3 months deposit). As a result neighboring landlords also increase the amount next time!
middle class people suffering now to rent a room/apartment/house in these areas. Even they come alone to live, rent 3+ BR apartment/ house/villas!
I don't understand why they showing up like this. By showing up their 'arrogance' of money, actually they are harming others!
There is no rent control Act/Rule here? (If they make rule for that, 'rent' will control them, right?:D
Here in this topic I understood that many expats want to live a simple life. I appreciate them whole heatedly!
If you are coming single, just rent a room.Do you know how many hours you spend in that room a day if you have some job?
So think carefully before you leap!
I saw some members encouraging  to rent 3+ BR house/apartment even they are single!
Actually do you want to help them or in your mind discouraging them? Do you think if more people come and stay here you will lose something?
Don't think that way. If more people want to come means more development in Vietnam Tourism and economy.

Ken Charma

I think half the problem Ken is that companies pay rents for employess, the locals just keep raising the prices and the companies keep paying. I would never live in Thao Dien or An Phu, I find its more of a family enviroment and very unexciting in relation to having so many expats there.

colinoscapee wrote:

I think half the problem Ken is that companies pay rents for employess, the locals just keep raising the prices and the companies keep paying. I would never live in Thao Dien or An Phu, I find its more of a family enviroment and very unexciting in relation to having so many expats there.

Yeah, that's right! But not only expat employees there. I know many expats come and do some home based business there. They too never bargain for cheap rent or the deposit. When some agent or their Vietnamese friend (usually girls-they have no power to bargain, because they are not renting:D) suggest, they just pay that amount without any hesitation. These kind of people are the dangerous curse of our society.
I know personally that area. Actually that's an isolated area of expats. Nobody care anyone there. If you go just can live alone. (calm and quiet, no disturbance)You do not get any 'neighbor' there. Only you get neighbor-ship in APN :D
Just before a month I try to rent one 3 BR house there for our business. The land lady asked 10M VND and 2 months deposit. We liked that house and bargain. At last fixed 10M rent and 1 month deposit plus she agree to fix 1 extra AC.After some time she asked 2 months deposit because her husband call and instruct her. So we just skipped. That means if we try we can find out cheapest room/house/apartment. All are busy even if no job :D
Thao Dien area is better than An Phu and it's suitable for family with kids (Schools near). People who come alone, please do not go and stay that area if you have no business there!
Just stay where is your earning!
And remember to bargain rent and deposit!

Yes, always bargain with the landlords. VN landlords are not too bright, they rather leave a place empty for six months then drop the rent, which to us expats is just absurd.But its just a case of finding decent landlords, I have had 4 landlords here, in Tan Binh,D4,D1 and now Vung Tau. Three have been very good,one was a money hungry vulture that even tried to keep my deposit of 175 million vnd when I was leaving.Make sure you have the lease done in dual languages, and watch out for contracts with a clause that you pay the landlords tax.

colinoscapee wrote:

Yes, always bargain with the landlords. VN landlords are not too bright, they rather leave a place empty for six months then drop the rent, which to us expats is just absurd.But its just a case of finding decent landlords, I have had 4 landlords here, in Tan Binh,D4,D1 and now Vung Tau. Three have been very good,one was a money hungry vulture that even tried to keep my deposit of 175 million vnd when I was leaving.Make sure you have the lease done in dual languages, and watch out for contracts with a clause that you pay the landlords tax.

I never allow any landlord to climb over my head and poo!
Almost every landlords whom I deal with dare not to show up their arrogance on me. Some one try and disgraced with my tongue(good thing of lawyer profession:), thanks to my Dad!)
We are customers, we have the right."ignorantia legis neminem excusat"!

Well if you ever meet one that is connected to someone very high, your in for a shock.

You can rent a 3 bedroom between $950-1200

Thanks Pnaiprincess.

Why not just stay in a family run hotel for the first month in District 1 and scout around looking at all options of accommodation. I pay 5million dong per month for a large room with king size bed aircon free wifi 99 channel sat TV.

Plus I forgot to mention you can use that month to get your Vietnam drivers license. A reminder to all expats drive without a VN Drivers license and you injure some one it's 10 years jail and if they should die it jumps to 20 yrs. It's all on the government website.

:)

If you have enough money the cops will generally offer you a way out, it all comes down to dollars.My friend has his laptop stolen, they went to his female friends place and she had it. The cops said she would get two years jail, the next day she was released as she bribe the cops. Money rules in Asia.

Hello DirtyPierre

Thanks for the suggestion!  That is exactly what I am planning to do.  5 mil dong/month for a large room with king bed, AC, free wifi, and sat TVI sounds very fair. I am going to send you a private mail.

DirtyPierre wrote:

Why not just stay in a family run hotel for the first month in District 1 and scout around looking at all options of accommodation. I pay 5million dong per month for a large room with king size bed aircon free wifi 99 channel sat TV.

That's right.  Living in VN or any where in world, I would want to live within the laws so I am planning to get my motorbike license within my first week of being there.

DirtyPierre wrote:

Plus I forgot to mention you can use that month to get your Vietnam drivers license. A reminder to all expats drive without a VN Drivers license and you injure some one it's 10 years jail and if they should die it jumps to 20 yrs. It's all on the government website.

Just remember when you do drive here, you are required to avoid someone even when they are doing the wrong thing. Example,when they drive down the road the wrong way beeping their horn, you are expected to put your life at risk just to get out of that idiots way.It doesnt matter if you put your life at risk as long as the other person gets where they are going without any problems. The one that irks me the most is when you are going straight ahead and they come from the other direction and cross over in front of you to turn left, most of them will not stop, so be very aware of their dangerous driving practises.

Hi Liverboy,

You can get very comfortable 10m2 3 bedroom apartment recently fully re-furbished. location Van Dau Building, Nguyen Thuong Hien St, Binh Thanh. 15minutes on bike to District 1 or airport.

Price, including management fees and bike parking within your budget.