Surfing in Nigeria

I am a journalist planning a possible trip to Nigeria - and i'm thinking about bringing a surf board

How is the surf?
Is it consistent?
How polluted is it?
Is access to breaks tricky?

would be great if anyone could help me out.

W

this sounds like a fun day trip!
wannasurf.com/spot/Africa/Nigeria/shipwreck/index.html

Hello Wil Crisp.

A new thread has been created from your message on the Lagos forum for more visibility. ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hey, did you end up going to this shipwreck thing? It looks awesome. I'll be in Nigeria for three weeks in October and would love to find a way to surf there. Sounds kind of complicated though, and I won't have a board...

I'm moving to Lagos at the end of February 2014 from Durban South Africa. I am a part owner in Natural Curve Surfboards and former SA Longboard Surfing Champion and would love to meet up with anyone who surfs in Lagos. Is there anyone out there?

there are a few places to surf
last time I went someone drowned trying to swim out to the surfers
surfed at the beach opposite the city called Tarwka Bay, it is dirty, polluted, unsafe unless you are in a group, full of ladies and sellers
there are other spots you can take day trips to but you will need security which sort of busts the vibe

Hi Gary , I'm a surfer living in Lekki lookin for fellow surfers to hook up with. Am going back to UK for a couple of weeks and will bring back a board or two. Call me any time

Hi Joe, are you friends with Marcus Ross?

Hi, I've just got here and have had three weekends if some great surf,worth bringing a board definitely
Gary

No , don't  know anyone much here yet Gary , but would like to know about and meet Marcus, is he local ?

Great one man , have you tried the main breaks  Tarqua , Lighthouse, Shipwreak ,Lekki ? Which days are best for you?

I am still in Australia and due back in Lagos soon
I will get a board out there
Will post here when I arrive

Hi. Due to move to Lagos possibly in next few months. Haven't surfed in 2-3 years, but definitely keen to get started again! Keep us posted on your trips!

Hi ,sure let us know when you guys get here and we can get something goin. I look forward to the day when you can pick up a decent board here...  check out "mr brights"  surf shop/ school in Ghana. ...possible here???... anyway , would like to get a group and go along the coast some time searching for any new surf breaks, along Nigeria's miles of coast there must be some other secret spots other than the few polluted breaks around Lagos that we all know. Then there's security to think of... oh well ...one can dream....

http://www.zigzag.co.za/multimedia/sequ … arkwa-bay/

Thought you might like to see JM surviving the Tarkwa bilge pipe

Copy and paste the above web address in to your browser

Mmmmm, what a lovely colour the water is!! Nice wave though!

Hi guys, I just arrived in Lagos few weeks ago and I'm quite exciting to discover the dirty spots in Lagos.
The problem is that I don't have any board and it seems difficult to get one here.
Let me know if you have nice plan.
Thanks - Florian

Hi Florian
How did you go on the board?
I am off to Bali next week surfing for 10 days
Never been more s h i t at something and enjoyed it so much

Hi Guys , Just back to Lagos from two narly weeks in Durban South Africa and brought back a board from great lil surf shop in Durban called 42 Surf Shop,check it on facebk. Just need some guys to surf with now...... anyone out there??

Hi Guys, anyone still active on here?

I'll be moving out to Lagos at the end of July for work and looking to see if there'll be anyone to surf with there? Also, it sounds like it could be difficult getting hold of a board in Lagos?

Certainly looks warmer and quieter than my local breaks in Cornwall though!

Nick

Hi Nick. Did you ever get any answers on this one. I'm moving to Lagos in January next year and would love to meet up with anyone keen to surf. Let me know. John

Hi Gary. Are you still in Lagos? Been surfing much. I'll be moving there sometime in January 2016. Let me know. Thanks.

Hi John,
I haven't heard any response until now.

I'm back in Lagos in January after a visit back home.
Where are you coming from?
Starting to consider bringing my board over!

Nick

Cape Town. Been working in Port Harcourt for a year or so. Rotational. Now moving to Lagos. I'm hoping I'll get some time to go surfing and seriously considering bringing a board. Time off might be difficult though. At the very least it would be good to meet up with some surfers!

Excellent, I'll join you for a beer at least. I'll see if I can get a board over and make a trip to Tarkwa.

I haven't been to Cape in years! Had a good surf off long Beach while I was there.

Nick

Long beach can get really crowded these days as well. But there's so much good surf around the Peninsula it doesn't really matter. I've never surfed Cornwall. I'd love to though. I'll be in touch in January. Keep well. John