Renew driver's license

Hi! Does anyone know the procedure in renewing your Vietnam driver's license? Since my visa expired in May, my Vietnam license also expired. Thanks  for your help...

How are you staying here if you dont have a visa, that would be the first Q I think .

Hi! I have a visa but it's only good for 3 months. So my new one expires in August. So if I renew my Vietnam license it will expire in August again.

Well...  You just keep renewing both, at the same time, until your status changes.

I heard that the licensing has change, when I did mine 5 years ago, I was told my VN license expires the same time my Australian license expires. Looks like its another money grab by having to do it each time the visa  expires.

Where on the license does it have an expiration date ? I have an A2 and don't see it anywhere.

How did you get your license, did you go to the license department or did you get one through someone, who knew someone.The legitimate license has the due date under your pic, the new licenses are now a credit card size so they may be different.

Got it through a govt official (Friend) Just realized that under my name it says Khong Thoi Han - Indefinitely

The expiration is right beneath my picture.

I did it on my own and paid 30 vnd. The guy kept pointing to my visa on my US passport but I didn't get what he was saying. But I did renew my visa and it's till Aug. but some Vn people said my license expired coz my
old visa expired in May. This is the time when I was getting a Vn driver license.

I do have a visa but I have to renew it every 3 months. It happened when I applied for a drivers license it was the month it expired. But I renewed and now it expires in aug. so that means when I get another drivers license it will expire again in aug. I'm just wondering how do I renew

Chris, thats why it has no date, done through a friend in government

Ok, that means they have changed the law again, it used to be once you had a license you keep it as long as your other licesnse was valid. You will need to take your license to D3 license department and ask them.

You will have to leave the country in August. It's now a 3 month visa, a 3 month renewal and then go out and come back.

Go to Phnom Phenh and discover all your options.

I would also go ask the government office for guidance. I cannot believe that a driver's license keeps expiring every 3 months.

I know, I couldn't believe it myself that it expires when our visa expires. I usually renew my visa at Blue sky travel agent in District 1 and they only give me 3 months. Been here a year.

Hey guys!
All of you want to scare me?
I am here driving since 2008:D without a VN license.My wife always scare Cong An even though she possess one VN valid license :D:D

You'll have to go to the licensing dept. on 252 Ly Chinh Thang near the roundabout of CMT8. It's standard procedure for your license to expire with your visa; which do make sense. You'll just have to keep renewing it as long as you're legally in the country. As for the A2, it's for motorbikes over 179cc. To acquire it requires a membership to a moto club. Even the fake A2s are signed by real officials; just doesn't have the hardcopy. As far as I know, getting admitted to the club requires Hau Khau (permanent residency). To have HK, you need a Vietnamese citizenship. I know, I've tried. The going price for fakes are 2 to 6 million vnd; depending on who you go through. The rate for A2s for a native Vietnamese is 15-20mill vnd. "Khong thoi hang" means "no expiration time", essentially forever for motorbikes. Autos are different and will expire when your license from your home country expires.

I just looked when mine expires and it is the same time my U.S. license expires not my visa. Wonder why some expire when the visa expires.

I exchanged my Singaporean car license for a local one. It expires in 2022.

@Jayhawk: If you are transferring your license over (like me), then it will expire based on your original license (assuming you have a WP). If you have a license made here, however which process you got it - through an intermediary or on your own, your license will expire based on Vietnam's law for its nationals - no expiration for bikes and 10 yrs for autos. pnaiprincess is on, and I'm assuming, a tourist visa so her case is a little different. If she can attain a WP, then the rule will change for her.

However, for people who have a WP (work permit) or temporary residency (married to a national), it will expire according to your driver's license from home. 

For my bike license, I went through a 3rd party but I also have a WP, so my license came out as "no expiration". However, I transferred my car license over and this license expires with the same date as my U.S. license. But then, my US license expired. When I went to renew it with my new U.S. license, they only gave me the expiration of my WP date. After I renewed my work permit, it will be extended to the date of my new license. Yes, pretty weird and confusing.

I think the biggest problem in Viet Nam is that the law is not uniform across the country. My brother had his license done here in VT on a 3 month visa and the license expires in 3 years the same as his Australian license.  It all comes down to who you deal with, government regulation here is processed according to how that employee interprets it.Found the same thing with the banks.