Help with address' in Ecuador

This may sound like a crazy question but I am having a hard time with address' in Ecuador.
There seems like they have a different way of putting an address down, seems a lot longer than I am use to seeing. Is this just my imagination or is there something I am not seeing. When I google an address it doesn't come up without shortening it and then Im not sure if I have the correct address.
I am coming down in less than 3 weeks and don't want to be any more confused than I am already:)
Thanks
Hans

Could you give some examples?

But, I hear what you are saying. Google Maps does not have a good concept of how address' work around here. Here in Quito, street names are often shortened and the nearest cross street added.

I agree with defuera....For example my address at home would be written as so:

07-08 Manzanas y Verde
Carcelen, Quito, Ecuador

Nice thing is you don't really need a zip code. Yes a lot of time when people talk about addresses especially streets with names, they will just use the last word. I am not sure if you aren't entering into google maps correctly or because it is a developing country that the locations actually are not in the system.

If I were you I would try looking for the cross streets to get an idea yourself or to get a map. I had a hard time before I moved here as well. Are you trying to find a place to live or something? Is it absolutely necessary for it to be used. Because when you arrive here you will realize that it is best to just try and learn where things are or ask people. Use the ask 3 people rule here, because people will give you directions whether they know or not! Ja.

Any other questions or help escapingoth?

I'm in the same boat Hans. It seem that most streets in Cuenca are named after someone, and they use the first and last name, of both persons... so it does get long. I'm relying on a smart phone with Nav until I get familiar.
See ya soon!
Neil

ZenSPIKE wrote:

I'm in the same boat Hans. It seem that most streets in Cuenca are named after someone, and they use the first and last name, of both persons... so it does get long. I'm relying on a smart phone with Nav until I get familiar.
See ya soon!
Neil

June is bustin out all over, would you be communicating today from 8 miles high?

Ahhh, 8 miles High. Reminds me of a movie. I am in fact typing from Miami International. I should arrive GYE at 7:00 pm tonight, Cuenca in the am.
Take Care
Neil

ZenSPIKE wrote:

Ahhh, 8 miles High. Reminds me of a movie. I am in fact typing from Miami International. I should arrive GYE at 7:00 pm tonight, Cuenca in the am.
Take Care
Neil

I was thinking of a song by the Byrds that got them accused of glorifying drugs, but I am happy to know that the actual mission has begun.  I am sure you will keep us posted and continue to show others the way.  ENJOY!!!

I well remember the song, but it was back there. I thought you were referring to the movie 8 Mile... but doesn't seem the type of musician you would be rockin', Eminem.

Hi Defuera

I have looked up address' before and came up with somewhere, not sure if it was where I wanted as I had to adjust the address so for all I know it could have been on the opposite side of the city. But it did show up on google finally. lol

I put in the address of the hotel that I will be staying at and it wouldn't show up.

Kennedy Norte José Falconí y José Alavedra Tama Mz. 102 Villa # 12,

The address' just seem so foreign. lol. The way there written.

Hi Suprsweets

Thank you for replying. That sounds like really good information. Thank you.

Makes sense on the address with a close corresponding road. I'm sure that once I get down there I will pick it up as soon as I have to start looking for the address'.

When you enter address' into google how do you do it.

Escapingoth....I basically stopped trying haha

Lol.
I like your idea of asking 3 people. My luck would be getting 3 different ways of getting there.

Yeah I would be careful with addresses.   
Don't assume you can just hop in a Taxi with an address and they will know where it is.  Most addresses contain some type of cross street or landmark in them to distinguish the general area.

For instance my electric bill literally had 100m de Rio Centre Norte on it as part of my address.

I think there is an actual standardized way people are supposed to write addresses but nobody actually uses it or understands it.   It is a common problem across every latin american country I have ever been to.

Oh no.

I think I will be in big trouble, not that imaginative. lol.

Thank you for replying.
Hans

Just always write down the phone number of where you are going along with the address so you can call them up and have them explain to the taxi where it is located.   Have had to pass a cell to my driver to explain how to get somewhere more times than I can count.

My experience is from Guayaquil.  Things may be more organized in Cuenca since it is smaller.

EDIT--Actually just noticed this is Quito.  Yeah I would expect quito to be the same type of mess as Guayaquil.

Please be careful with passing your phone to a cab driver....dalupus may have had luck with that, but it is not something I would personally recommend.

yeah I guess if you have an expensive phone it might not be so wise :)   I always use cheap phones and can understand what is being said.    If you have an expensive phone you could just put it on speakerphone I guess.

EDIT -- although now that I think about it, what do you think the driver is going to do?  Keep your phone and tell you to get out?   He could have simply told you to give him your phone and get out.   I don't know,   I've done it from time to time across many countries.  Never had an issue.  Now taxis trying to overcharge me is a different story.

Typically, the address is an intersection of two streets, for example, Lauro Guerrero y Azuay; The y means and. The actual street names can be, in a few cases, very long and may contain calle (street), but that is usually not necessary. The next part is the specific address, This could be as simple as 1088. But, if is a villa, multi-story building, etc., there may be the floor, suite, or what ever else is needed. This sounds complicated, but once you are there it should be easy to find. Taxis really only need the intersection, but, of course, the address lets them drop you off at the exact building, which is very helpful if you are carrying heavy bags.

In Loja, the address come after the street the entrance is on. For example: Lauro Guerrero 1088 y Azuay, because the door opes upon Lauro Guerrero. The rest of the address is city and province. For example, Loja, Loja because the city of Loja is located in the province of Loja. As you can see, this is very precise, and no additional codes are necessary. It is also easy to just use the name of a a place nearby because the street names can be hard to pronounce, For example, if I say Hotel Castillo, I get dropped off just across the street. check this out on maps.google.com, and it will start making sense, and you can find nearby landmarks in case you need to clarify the address. But worry not. I have never had a cabdriver get lost or could not find an address.

Hi,

Your answer is quite good Joseph K, and this one can be used for the rest of ecuadorian cities.
Usually the second street (calle) is the one closer to the house/building you are looking for. Using your example:
Lauro Guerrero y Azuay
The house/building will be located on Lauro Guerrero, and the closer st to it is Azuay.
For google I think you need to put only the first st name, the number, the city, and the country.

I am sure everything will become easier to understand when you`ll be there!

Cheers.

Thank you Dalupus
I appreciate the tip. Makes sense to have the ph number.

Thanks Suprsweets
I hate giving my phone to anyone, always paranoid they will drop it.

Thanks Joesph K

That really helps:-)
I now think I have it. Proof is going to come when I'm on the ground in Ec. Lol.

Thanks Marazul.

I will have to look up to see where Ebene is.

@suprsweets hello, please help! No one explains what the #-## means in the addresses! i.e.  Av. Ordonez Lasso 7-86 y Los Caveles… Is this a range of distance from the start of the road? It doesn't seem to have anything to do with a number on the building you're looking for, unless I'm wrong?

@suprsweets hello, please help! No one explains what the #-## means in the addresses! i.e.  Av. Ordonez Lasso 7-86 y Los Caveles… Is this a range of distance from the start of the road? It doesn't seem to have anything to do with a number on the building you're looking for, unless I'm wrong?

- @rkg695

You can see it on a map of Cuenca, here, it's the address of Gringo Visas (gringovisas.com):

Unfortunately many streets in Cuenca do not have proper addresses - one article estimates that over 1000 streets in Cuenca do not have any name at all.  But in this case it tells you, it's at the corner of Avenida Ordóñez Lasso and Calle de Los Claveles (not Caveles).  Normally the 7 would mean it's about 7 meters from that intersection - but it's in the Riverside Building and so the 7-86 is just a way of differentiating among the many companies and businesses there.
This is the most useful thread!

@OsageArcher we're just gosh! It would help if I could spell too LOL