The "No Topic Thread"

Yogi007 wrote:

Yeah, still keep in contact with Boo Boo...., but he's moved on.

He thought riding on Yogi's shirt tails wasn't paying dividends . After all , since Yogi is playing second fiddle to a dead man in his relationship and begins his days conversing with rats , maybe I wasn't the best mentor for him.

He's now working as a Pole Dancer at a gay bar in the Philippines .

Last I heard he's commencing legal action against his Careers advisor.

It hasn't been the best of years for Boo Boo

So Boo Boo, err, made a boo boo in his life choices. Poor gu... er, bear.

But, Yogi, playing second fiddle to a dead man isn't necessary a bad thing, y'know?

A mate of mine had a g/f in Beijing. A lovely lady of around 45 years of age. He is 50. But she had another b/f with whom she used to spend time. My mates relationship with her lasted several years and he couldn't see that it was a non-starter from the beginning. For one thing, he could never be certain where her other b/f was, er, dallying, so health became a major concern.

So at least your g/f isn't dallying with a live bod that might also be dallying elsewhere if you get my drift? And you know that she can never be physically unfaithful with him, so its a win / win situation really.

Of course if you ever did tie the knot, she would always compare you unfavorably with the deceased, even if in her own mind, so count your Ursidaen (or should that be Ursan?) lucky stars that you have someone who's company you can enjoy without getting too entangled.

Oh Yeah, I often thank my lucky stars that this relationship is going the way it is.  Nice and simple.
We are very good friends and reasonably compatible.   We share similar interests, she's
environmentally aware, actually reads foreign press and globally knows what's going on. 

She's a feminist,  independant and doesn't need a man to complete her life.
She doesn't want children because she has no confidence in the education system here.  I've already got grown up kids so I haven't got that issue on the table again.   

Basically she just wants company to go the beach & gym with, dinner , and walk the dogs. She lives nearby , but only occasionally visits my place and sleepovers are forbidden by her family , even though she's 42.

We often travel outside Vietnam, because it's simpler than farting about with hotel policy here.

I asked her to come to Australia for a visit, and she flatly refused.  A definite NO .  Too far she said.

Again, we are good friends .  I did ask once , what she actually thought of me , and she couldn't answer.  She's a good person and yes, I do think I'm lucky.

Believe it or not, she is the first woman here I became interested in 5 years ago.  Took another 2 years to actually cross paths on a regular basis to become involved.   Alls good.

Anyway, as this is the no topic thread (and I can see it being easily the most popular thread so far), I'll share something.....

I am sitting in my study with a beautiful tree right outside my window illuminated by bright sunshine. This house never gets as hot as the apartment did, so I have a fan turning rather than using the air con.My wife is having a nap and me, after years of turbulence, uncertainty and spending hundreds of nights in foreign crap holes, I have finally come to roost. I'll still travel, but here is where I come home to.

Wallowing in self satisfaction? No. Just happier than I have been for many years.

I was in Hong Kong last week. Could hardly breathe because of the pollution. Super expensive 5 * hotels, crowded streets, hustle and bustle everywhere... And I came across a tiny Vietnamese Banh Mi shop just off the Lockhart road
https://postimg.org/image/43ck4k3up/

Yep good place to hang your hat at the end. It also helps that a carton of smokes is less than $10 bucks and a case of beer is just a shade over that and add in the eye candy when your traveling around town. Nope, cant beat it.

As far as this thread goes it had over 21,000 views, 135 or so reply's on 5 pages and stayed on top of the site for almost 13 months. Never needed to get pinned, it just stayed there. We policed our selves and Admin never had to step in once. The old members slowly went their way and I let it have a peaceful rest. Yesterday when you and Yogi and a few other guys started talking about music and other off topics on the thread about the guy and relationships I figured it was time to bring it back to life.

Rick

Budman1 wrote:

Yep good place to hang your hat at the end. It also helps that a carton of smokes is less than $10 bucks and a case of beer is just a shade over that and add in the eye candy when your traveling around town. Nope, cant beat it.

As far as this thread goes it had over 21,000 views, 135 or so reply's on 5 pages and stayed on top of the site for almost 13 months. Never needed to get pinned, it just stayed there. We policed our selves and Admin never had to step in once. The old members slowly went their way and I let it have a peaceful rest. Yesterday when you and Yogi and a few other guys started talking about music and other off topics on the thread about the guy and relationships I figured it was time to bring it back to life.

Rick

You did well, Mon Brave!

Speaking of music - and we did indeed. It is my habit to play (recorded) Pipe music at home on a Sunday afternoon for a bit of nostalgia (I'm not Scottish, but I love the Pipes). I have a mate in Canada who is a pipe and during his military career was with the legendary Ladies From Hell Division (Black Watch). I would love him to come and pipe the Haggis in here on New Years Eve.

My wife tells me that in Vietnam they play pipe music for dead people. My response was to the effect that the Scottish (military) pipes were played pursuant to that end.

I must look up and see if I can find any Vietnam pipe music and send it to my Scottish friends.

Here is todays selection: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR87LsmXzBs

eodmatt wrote:
Budman1 wrote:

Rick

You did well, Mon Brave!

Speaking of music - and we did indeed. It is my habit to play (recorded) Pipe music at home on a Sunday afternoon for a bit of nostalgia (I'm not Scottish, but I love the Pipes). I have a mate in Canada who is a pipe and during his military career was with the legendary Ladies From Hell Division (Black Watch). I would love him to come and pipe the Haggis in here on New Years Eve.

My wife tells me that in Vietnam they play pipe music for dead people. My response was to the effect that the Scottish (military) pipes were played pursuant to that end.

I must look up and see if I can find any Vietnam pipe music and send it to my Scottish friends.

Your wife right of course, but if you've never heard it, well its not like the type of pipe music they play at funerals that were used to. I've been hearing it down here for the past 9 years and it more haunting then anything.  I live about 5 blocks from a cemetery and the processions go by the house weekly. I'll find some of the VN versions and post them. Gives me a idea for another post though, morbid? Music to get planted by.

Rick

Budman1 wrote:
eodmatt wrote:
Budman1 wrote:

Rick

You did well, Mon Brave!

Your wife right of course, but if you've never heard it, well its not like the type of pipe music they play at funerals that were used to. I've been hearing it down here for the past 9 years and it more haunting then anything.  I live about 5 blocks from a cemetery and the processions go by the house weekly. I'll find some of the VN versions and post them. Gives me a idea for another post though, morbid? Music to get planted by.

Rick

In 2000 I was manager of the UXO clearance from the Nam Con Son gas pipeline which ran from Long Hai beach to Fu My. We cleared over two hundred items of UXO including a 500lb white phosphorus bomb, with no casualties.

One afternoon I received a call that an item of UXO had been found in a cleared area of the pipeline. As first responder I went to assess and deal with it. With the area cleared of staff I set off down the pipeline right of way and stopped a few hundred meters short of whatever it was to assess the situation. I halted my 4 x 4 and told the driver to switch off the engine. I steadied my arms on the hood of the vehicle so I could get a look at whatever it was through my binos.

The heat waves rising from the ground distorted the image and made it virtually impossible to see exactly what it was, although it looked like an 81mm mortar bomb. It shouldn't have been there as we had already cleared that area.

At that moment I heard a sound far more beautiful than the tick, tick,  ticking of the cooling vehicle engine. It was the sound of a flute wafting over from a nearby village several hundred.

The breeze swayed the reeds in the nearby drainage channel and brought the scent of wild lemon grass to me. The sun was unbearably hot and the hood of the engine was burning my forearms and I moved them with a jerk

Yet I was rooted to the spot by the beautiful, melancholic, sad sound of the music emanating from someone playing a flute in a local village several hundred yards away.

I stood transfixed and listened to that sad, sweet sound until it died away and stopped.

Back to reality, a sweat soaked shirt, searing heat and a need to do something with whatever it was that was stopping the work on the pipeline.

Correction - I am beginning to hate apple mac and my new laptop for its completely insane editing of what I write.

"At that moment I heard a sound far more beautiful than the tick, tick,  ticking of the cooling vehicle engine. It was the sound of a flute wafting over from a nearby village several hundred meters away"

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ … eral+music

Take your choice Matt.....

Budman1, thanks for that!

I was interested in the answer to that as I have been a sales person as long as Matt is old but I'm sure that it is a pipe dream for me as it is for him from your reply haha hope you had a great weekend guys

Well, its a bit of a grey day today and my lovely Vietnamese wife just brought me some calming herbal tea. I'm not sure why she thinks I need calming, but it was quite a pleasant drink.

I am constantly amazed by the knowledge of Vietnamese people about herbal things - and country things around them in  general which we westerners have long forgotten. For example  making soup out of pumpkin shoots and flowers leaves. She has to "skin" them first to remove tough fibres, but the finished soup is quite delicious.

Her mum disappears for a couple of hours every now and then and returns with a basketful of locally picked leaves and herbs which are washed and turned into very nice salads - and I speak as one who was always a steak and chips eater who viewed green stuff as mere decoration.

Vietnam really is an amazing place and not just for food. What other things that are special to Vietnam do people find interesting, entertaining, delicious etc?

eodmatt wrote:

'It is of paramount importance in Vietnam for you to have an office, people just don't work from home in Vietnam like they do in the UK."

The exceptions are Lawyers, real estate agents and the visa sellers. Having a office to go to would crimp their style, as you would be able to find them after they screwed you over. All they need are a cellphone, laptop and 50cc moped....

Rick

Budman1 wrote:

eodmatt wrote:

'It is of paramount importance in Vietnam for you to have an office, people just don't work from home in Vietnam like they do in the UK."

The exceptions are Lawyers, real estate agents and the visa sellers. Having a office to go to would crimp their style, as you would be able to find them after they screwed you over. All they need are a cellphone, laptop and 50cc moped....

Rick

Well, yeah except for them.    :)  I am reminded of:

“No one expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise, fear and surprise; two chief weapons, fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency! Er, among our chief weapons are: fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, and near fanatical devotion to the Pope! Um, I'll come in again...”

So yeah, I'll come in again.  :top:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=575829

Donald & Ted are safe.......

Budman1 wrote:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=575829

Donald & Ted are safe.......

The user asked to delete her account. ;)

The way that was written "she" would be a "woman" not to be messed with. That would probably explain the fact that she'd already been thru,  as she stated  , hundreds of potential suitors.....not one of which bothered to pop the question. 😀

Anyway,

Unfortunately for you Mr Budman Donald & Ted were last seen being chased by a dog.
Yogi is now considering buying a couple of hamsters.. Is 170k  VND in the ball park for a hamster.
That's the going rate for a hamster here in Nha Trang. 

They look like little bears too..😜

Surrogate children?

Somehow that just doesn't fit your image as an undercover 007.

..but as a Yogi?    Ok, but beware of what you are getting into.

Children change you.   In ways you don't want to know...                 :happy:

Bazza139 wrote:

Surrogate children?

Somehow that just doesn't fit your image as an undercover 007.

..but as a Yogi?    Ok, but beware of what you are getting into.

Children change you.   In ways you don't want to know...                 :happy:

Bazza 139 I think this thread just what you needed in your life.

Yes Rick.   I am well aware of y/our psychic abilities. 

You not only read the script, but write it.

..so here we are at last..?   The gateway to the Fourth Dimension..?  And possibly the Fifth, given parallel universes...   But (one of) my alter ego's is the Vulture circling before the feast. 
  Or is it because it sounds too good to be true..?   Damn!  ..it generally is...

But wait!   What if..?   ..you just might have won the Chess Match with God (her)self!!!   Everyone(?) knows if you work with Evil you find Good; or work with good and you find...

Wow!   His Story in the making!   And we are all a part of it!!   Just wait until Hollywood hears about this!      ..hey!!!   Hang on!?!    You cunning Devil.   You already wrote the script...

..outsmarting Murphy and his inlaws as well!?    Whew!  So we are all honoured to find ourselves as part of your play.   Forget world domination.   An event horizon indeed...

Ok, Great One.   We wait.    YOUR WILL BE DONE!      (A new world hero is come)

..you won't mind if we skip the worship part and get on with the party?     Wassup?    :gloria

I have a strange prescience that Bazza's collected writings will one day be up there with the Old Testament and Old Moores Almanack, not to mention the Mantras of Lord Schrivastranalingumbona.

..or perhaps, having awoken in despair like many others of my ilk, shall vanish from Planet Earth and return to my home on Uranus...

We obviously arrived here too soon for the inhabitants to appreciate what we really are...

..aside from Stephen Hawking...    Still, we are not only     :offtopic:

..but also off the Planet...   

We wish youse well!           

Survive!                    :|

No Bites!    See?   They are not ready.

Sadly?  They will reap the deadly harvest from the seeds sown...      :(

..or (should that be?)  even more sadly..?     His Story repeating itself..?

Tsk!   No wonder your many messiahs wept for the worries of mankind.

Girls too...

Bazza139 wrote:

No Bites!    See?   They are not ready.

Sadly?  They will reap the deadly harvest from the seeds sown...      :(

..or (should that be?)  even more sadly..?     His Story repeating itself..?

Tsk!   No wonder your many messiahs wept for the worries of mankind.

Girls too...

Well, you should be careful of frightening them with threats of your return to their planet of origin....

Relax Matt.    There is much more at steak here than your chips.

Me?   ..I'm just reading from the script.   Although...   Ok, after all, I do trust you (but we still wonder about the walnuts...)   So it is time for a few home truths.  Descriptive metaphysics are self-evident truths, which is why we now have teenagers flocking to this site.

They know stuff adults cannot begin to imagine.  Aside from Rick's genius...

Besides, only a trusted few know about Arnie's quote from the Terminator.   Yes, it was me that had to do a voiceover; Arnie did not have the depth.

So: Ah'll  'b  Baahk.     Take it to the Bank.   It does have Value...     :idontagree:

..where is the question...    But Yes, we'll wait...

If only I had the depth of your incongruity, we would never need walnuts, not even for use as prosthetics.

Thanks!  It Matters.

..and I take pride in my collection.   So far I have Academic, Pedantic, Pontifried and Patronising, Dumborn, Clueless, Condescending, Clunkhead, Addlebrain, Anal retentive (might just slide thru..?)    ..and many more which might just get me removed if I repeat them here...    I'd like to add the obscene ones, for that form of Hate arises from Admiration soured by the realisation they will never have (whatever) quality they think I possess.   Sad Eh?

..but Incongluity..?   (I can glue it, but Y..?)   Wow!    That'll go straight to the pool room!   (Mantlepiece or glass case?)    My gratitude is gratuitous...

Which reminds me.  How is the Procrastination going..?  Or have you (actually?) printed out a few pages..?   Now your nutrition is being nurtured with Folic Acid and Herbal Teas you should be as fit as the Energizer Bunny.  And Bigger is Better, despite the male myth.      Talent and Technique tell the rest of the story.

Go Ferret.   

We'll wait...

eodmatt wrote:

Correction - I am beginning to hate apple mac and my new laptop for its completely insane editing of what I write.

ME TOO!!! I finally called Apple Support and they walked me through how to change the spellcheck from English (UK) to American (they call it English (US)) so it's no longer adding an unnecessary "u" to half the flippin' words  ;)  . It's better, though still challenging at times. The next step is to add some of the common frustrations to the keyboard settings.

Bazza139 wrote:

Yes Rick.   I am well aware of y/our psychic abilities. 

You not only read the script, but write it.

..so here we are at last..?   The gateway to the Fourth Dimension..?  And possibly the Fifth, given parallel universes...   But (one of) my alter ego's is the Vulture circling before the feast. 
  Or is it because it sounds too good to be true..?   Damn!  ..it generally is...

But wait!   What if..?   ..you just might have won the Chess Match with God (her)self!!!   Everyone(?) knows if you work with Evil you find Good; or work with good and you find...

Wow!   His Story in the making!   And we are all a part of it!!   Just wait until Hollywood hears about this!      ..hey!!!   Hang on!?!    You cunning Devil.   You already wrote the script...

..outsmarting Murphy and his inlaws as well!?    Whew!  So we are all honoured to find ourselves as part of your play.   Forget world domination.   An event horizon indeed...

Ok, Great One.   We wait.    YOUR WILL BE DONE!      (A new world hero is come)

..you won't mind if we skip the worship part and get on with the party?     Wassup?    :gloria

Do you share (or at least market) whatever mind-altering pharmaceuticals you're on? They sound delightful!

Ok.   ..but be careful!   The adulation increases exponentially...        :o

ps.   So far, no-one has found your true identity, but my guess is that you are an apprentice of Murphy.   
..and an Apprentice must become better than the Master, or the Master has failed...

You will not fail

John D,   Yogi is wondering what happened to the first 138 Bazza's.

Ya better check that out before indulging .    But Yogi does  make his own Muesli.....yes even has nuts & berries.    Keeps yogi regular.

Thanks, Yogi.   Actually, they evolved...    I'm only the latest version....

As are you!   Soon you will leave the Muesli for a better place.

Natural multi-vitamins.   Just as Matt has found that the greens his Mum made him eat are not only there to decorate but design.   His body is the result.  Blame the Walnuts!

Fortunately?   I have chooks.   Fresh eggs make the best omelettes, which can disguise the despicable tastes of brussels sprouts, broccoli, and other evil-tasting substances.  Minced beef, onion, carrots, tomatoes...    Hey!!    Make yer own!

Rick only suspects.   But I cannot divulge further in case God finds out...   (cringe!)

But here's a clue: genetics.

Design is another question.   Entirely.   Didn't you see the 'Resident Evil' series..?

She too, continues to evolve...

Grrrr,   Grrrrr
Minced beef ,onions ,tomatoes........

Yogis worried.......the other 138.....you ate them didn't you,,

With a nice Chianti........ssshhhhh

..so you didn't watch the series..?   Pity.    The body pit was a master stroke...

The upside..?   I hope to get my uppetance via a big red bus.   (reduces the visuals)  But apart from the bits of feet, rib cage and the odd eyeball..?

..besides, Donald & Ted will eat well for a good while when they hose the rest down the drain.   (Yes, they survived the dog.)    ..or will it be their children..?   (we all evolve)

"Filipino woman gets death sentence for smuggling cocaine into Vietnam..."

What the hell? Seriously? Death?

http://www.thanhniennews.com/society/fi … 61265.html

Zep

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=576901

Coming down to HCMC with girlfriend and her daughter for the 22nd-24th and the hotel we normally use doesn't have an available room with two beds. We like to stay in the Pham Ngu Lau area and would appreciate any hotel recommendations you may have--under 500,000 VND and with an elevator, if possible. Thanks!

Not sure if you guys know it or not,...

One of the senior members of Expat Blog, a Brazil Expert, William James Woodward (James) was recently murdered in his house in Brazil.

We'll miss you James

I remember, earlier this month in a Vietnam forum post he wrote about his happy little family in Brazil. It's really very sad and utterly shocking!

RIP James. We'll always miss you.

Wow, that is really sad news, James always wrote with great detail and passion whenever he posted.

RIP James.