Cost of Living Info in Thailand

Everyone seems to want to know about the cost of living in Thailand. Some think $500 is plenty for a single person (I don't), others think  you need $1000. I think just about any amount is doable here but the level of comfort and freedom you get for $500 is going to be different from those pulling in $2000-$3000 or more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK9btVrhLKs

Hey Scott..

Good video you make there, you bring up a lot of good things..
And yea your right, we all NEED different things in life.

About the insurance part, i think you wrong about that going to be a law about it to stay here in Thailand, i know they talk about it, Thai are smart people, and when they sit down and calculate it.
I am positive they skip it.
So many people here on retirement/married Visa that canŽt get a insurance because of bad health, or they to old, to sick, so the few baht that Thailand lose at some hospital is nothing against what they going to lose, if all have to leave Thailand, Thailand gain so much more in the long run to keep people here...

Only option to it, as i see it, that Thailand provide a Insurance to cover us,  so all can get a insurance in Thailand, no matter your age and if you have some disease, and not like it is now...
And i am sure that the insurance company here all ready, not be happy about that, if they lose all that money...

I donŽt see many people have the option as it is now about insurance..
I know some have to pay 120.000-150.000 baht pr year to be insurance, because they to old, have some disease all ready...And many of them have a "small" pension to live for...So therefor must of them skip the insurance and hope the best...

My self as a "young" man here in Thailand, canŽt get a insurance, because i have some disease, so all insurance i contact here in Thailand it is the same, canŽt insurance me.
Well yes they can, but when the put in the paper not from that and that, and if from that and so on, they only cover if i get some new disease, that never hear of before (joke here, but trying to give you my point) in the world...

There is relay no point to have a insurance if it donŽt cover you when it come to use it, and buy one of them insurance that cover one for 50.000-100.000 baht is a joke in my world, but again. we all have different needs...

About transport, i do think if one live in Bangkok area, public transport is so cheap, and so fast, so that better, then own a car/motorbike..

If use Sky train a lot. buy month card and save a lot of money..

A tip for people live on small budget, if need free food one day, go to a temple, many have free food every day, yea, not 5 stars food, but one can get by on it...

Last i want to say, keep up the good work about getting the word out..
So many keep asking the same thing again and again about this....

Never done that wrote:

Hey Scott..

Good video you make there, you bring up a lot of good things..
And yea your right, we all NEED different things in life.

About the insurance part, i think you wrong about that going to be a law about it to stay here in Thailand, i know they talk about it, Thai are smart people, and when they sit down and calculate it.
I am positive they skip it.
So many people here on retirement/married Visa that canŽt get a insurance because of bad health, or they to old, to sick, so the few baht that Thailand lose at some hospital is nothing against what they going to lose, if all have to leave Thailand, Thailand gain so much more in the long run to keep people here...

Only option to it, as i see it, that Thailand provide a Insurance to cover us,  so all can get a insurance in Thailand, no matter your age and if you have some disease, and not like it is now...
And i am sure that the insurance company here all ready, not be happy about that, if they lose all that money...

I donŽt see many people have the option as it is now about insurance..
I know some have to pay 120.000-150.000 baht pr year to be insurance, because they to old, have some disease all ready...And many of them have a "small" pension to live for...So therefor must of them skip the insurance and hope the best...

My self as a "young" man here in Thailand, canŽt get a insurance, because i have some disease, so all insurance i contact here in Thailand it is the same, canŽt insurance me.
Well yes they can, but when the put in the paper not from that and that, and if from that and so on, they only cover if i get some new disease, that never hear of before (joke here, but trying to give you my point) in the world...

There is relay no point to have a insurance if it donŽt cover you when it come to use it, and buy one of them insurance that cover one for 50.000-100.000 baht is a joke in my world, but again. we all have different needs...

About transport, i do think if one live in Bangkok area, public transport is so cheap, and so fast, so that better, then own a car/motorbike..

If use Sky train a lot. buy month card and save a lot of money..

A tip for people live on small budget, if need free food one day, go to a temple, many have free food every day, yea, not 5 stars food, but one can get by on it...

Last i want to say, keep up the good work about getting the word out..
So many keep asking the same thing again and again about this....

I would not be surprised if they pass an insurance law. If dealing with a person who cannot be insured the government can stipulate a set amount needs to be shown in the bank (800,000 baht retirement money). I think they idea is to get the lower end tourists covered so it's not a drain on the system when they are unable to pay.

I've been to Russia twice - both times I had to provide proof of insurance. Thailand wants tourist dollars but they want people who have money.

numbeo.com for cost of living

Well that link, where they got them price ??

Many of the price donŽt match what i see here, some are correct, some way off..

In a Restaurants Cola (0.33 L) 16.27 (15-23 baht) i never pay that low at any Restaurants here..At he small Thai food shop, sure...
Last week i pay 35 baht again (not in the thai food shop)...

The rice, Eggs, potato and more are very high on that list...

Last time i buy a beer in a Restaurants i pay 100 baht for a small one. and normal price around is 70-75 baht my friends tell me when they go out..

But okay, the list can give a little hint about price, even so i think it wrong, miss a lot of information...

Never done that wrote:

Well that link, where they got them price ??

Many of the price donŽt match what i see here, some are correct, some way off..

In a Restaurants Cola (0.33 L) 16.27 (15-23 baht) i never pay that low at any Restaurants here..At he small Thai food shop, sure...
Last week i pay 35 baht again (not in the thai food shop)...

The rice, Eggs, potato and more are very high on that list...

Last time i buy a beer in a Restaurants i pay 100 baht for a small one. and normal price around is 70-75 baht my friends tell me when they go out..

But okay, the list can give a little hint about price, even so i think it wrong, miss a lot of information...

None of the prices are way off. All of the prices in that price guide were taken from 7'11, Fresh Mart mini-mart, Fresh Mart, and Foodland and Happyland Central Market (fresh produce) in Bangkok.

So before you go saying there's misinformation, maybe you need to consider there are more places to buy than just where you buy. Also, rice, eggs, potato...sure, I can get cheaper product (eggs for 35 baht per 10, but they're small and not what I like to buy. It all evens out. I can get rice for less than 35-42 baht a kilo but to me, it's garbage and only fit for our dogs. I can get a small bag of potatos for 12-15 baht but since there's four of us I tend to buy larger bags. The same with onions, cucumbers and a whole lot of other items.   

Also, who said anything about a restaurant for cola? What I said is you can pay 50 baht and get a meal and a drink. How do I know? Because I do so every day. The highest I've ever paid for a Coke or Pepsi is 29 baht for the extra-large size bottle (not sure of the measurement) and this is at a mini-market.

Yesterday I ordered Pad See Ew, three dishes of Crab Fried Rice, pineapple, and watermelon and it was 165 baht. It would have been 160 baht but I bought the higher priced pineapple that's a little larger and juicier.

Well that my point about that list..
You canŽt count on it...

Eggs i buy size 0 and 1, the big size, potato 1 kg 30-35 baht.
Rice around 120 baht for 5 kg = 24 baht pr kg. Not for my dog, he he

And let be fair, 7-11 is not a cheap place to buy, one find that out after short time here, it is easy, and many of them, but not cheap at all...

But let us not fight over it, i still think the Video is good information, i donŽt like the list in the link to much, that all..

Never done that wrote:

Well that my point about that list..
You canŽt count on it...

Eggs i buy size 0 and 1, the big size, potato 1 kg 30-35 baht.
Rice around 120 baht for 5 kg = 24 baht pr kg. Not for my dog, he he

And let be fair, 7-11 is not a cheap place to buy, one find that out after short time here, it is easy, and many of them, but not cheap at all...

But let us not fight over it, i still think the Video is good information, i donŽt like the list in the link to much, that all..

You don't have to like the GUIDE, its' up to you. But people asked for estimates of prices here. That's what I gave. So if you don't want to argue, then don't make blanket statements like "The prices are way off." I didn't pull the prices out of my ass, they came from the grocery, convenience stores, The Mall, and wet markets. There are quantities associated with quite a few also, so that should make it easier.

7'11 isn't cheaper but it is convenient and many people in Thailand use it - that's the point! Not every one is concerned about saving a couple of baht. Also, I believe the prices that were given from 7'11 were things like M-150 or Red Bull. A bottle of Red Bull is 10 baht. If you're lucky you might save 1 baht or 1/2 baht buying it at the grocery. And a large number of people buy it at places like 7'11 or shop houses. I go to 7'11 sometimes and grab a can of tuna fish and it's 3 or 4 baht more than in the grocery. Sometimes when I run out of honey I get a tube of it there for 30 baht - at the grocery it's 33 baht!

As far as the rice, if you're in Bangkok buying 5KG of rice for 24 baht a kilo, it's low-end rice. Most good Mali rice is about 35-45 baht a kilo and this is at a produce market, not a grocery.

I just came from Fresh Mart BTW. I bought some potatos - a kilo is 28 baht. I bought eggs too - KCF brand, large, 55 baht. Could have got them for 43 baht. Onions - a kilo, 25 baht.   

A price guide is exactly that, a guide. It isn't meant to be perfect, it isn't meant to give the exact prices at any given time.

BTW - I've been here almost 20 years - how about you?

As i say Scott i like the video, but i donŽt like the link to numbeo, that all..

About the rice, i love my Jasmin rice, and that the normal price i pay for it, But this time we try some Thai rice brand my Gf want, forgot the name, little cheaper, but taste okay for us, we might even change to that brand from now on...

Little thing about 7-11, 0,5 L cola 17 baht, Outside 12-15 baht. 70 cl beer (last time i buy) 52 or 54 baht, outside 43 baht.
On a long run let say 20 years , that a lot of money...

Not as long as you, 2.5 years..

Well rain have stop, so time for a walk.

Have a nice day...

I misunderstoof you - Numbeo isn't my pricing guide. Has nothing to do with me.

Anyhow, yes, have a nice day.