Getting work straight out of UK uni

Hi all,

I'm moving over to NZ at the end of 2013, but I have no work experience and no industry to call my own as i've just finished my degree (graduate this July). How impossible is it for me to find work in the translation/interpreting industry without any more experience than my degree and the odd piece of "do me a favour" work for friends and family?

I don't care whereabouts in NZ I live, but I would hate to work in an industry that doesn't make any use of my languages (Spanish, Arabic & Portuguese, in case you're wondering).

I only have about 3 or 4 months this year to work before I go, but I won't be able to get any real experience in anything in this time, and i'm stuck in that old circle of "no experience = no job, no job = no experience".

I've signed up to countless job-search sites but nothing seems geared to much more than IT and HR, which I have NO experience in!

Any words of advice?

To my knowlwdge there is very little work in your industry for overseas workers.
This can be done by locals. 

Best you look online at the NZ Govt immigration website to see if you qualify for a visa.

You may be able to get a student visa which allows you to study and work part time.

At the end of your studies you can then look for work and apply for a work visa.

There may be a working holiday visa you can apply for. 

Good luck.

Hi Stumpy,

Thanks for your response.

I probably should've mentioned that i'm able to get a WHV with pretty much no problems, so I was planning on going on that. I wanted to go on the Silver Fern Job Search visa but they told me I had to have physically graduated - having finished studies/exams wasn't enough! So unless I get a job offer before I go (pretty difficult to do), my only option is the WHV.

I am willing to work in any industry but obviously my preference is that of languages, since that's what I know and have studied all my life, but I know that most of the in-demand languages there are things like Indonesian and Korean - which I don't have!

As for the student visa: I would love to keep studying but it's not a financially viable option for me right now, since i'm coming out with almost £30k debt and very little savings. Also, added to that, is the fact that i'm going with my bf so my savings will need to be enough to get us both in the country.

How quickly do you think a person can get a job upon arrival?

You will be coming to NZ at the start of summer so as far as jobs go you will be competing with students who are on the break from college or university. So I cannot say how long it will take you.

The cost of living is really high here too. Check out this website for details. numbeo.com 

Again I think you will have no success finding a position in languages.