What is the best city to live in NRW (North Rhine-Westphalia)?

Hello Guys & Gals,

I am planning to move to Germany at the end of this year. Dusseldorf is currently the only city I am considering, but since I will be working from home anyways it doesn't really matter where I live, as long as I am within in NRW State.

Therefore I would appreciate any ideas on which city might be the best to live in , in this state. Dusseldorf, Cologne or others ? 

The main criteria for choosing the city is
1. Cost-of-living (particularly house rent),
2. Distance to major airports/train stations,
3. Easy of integration with local people
4. Night life etc.. or fun places to visit and discover

Any ideas ?

Hi....:)

it really depends on how much you can spend on rent.
There's a lovely little town called Mülheim an der Ruhr, it's where I live.
It's about 25 km from Düsseldorf. Sort of suburb, has a lovely river and forest near the border to Essen. The rents are quite expensive and there's nothing much to do, but you have a quite home.
If you prefer to get out at night and good shopping facilities I'd recomend Essen somewhere in the town centre. Ok, it's expensive there too, but you get all you want there.
If you're after something more affordable have a look at Oberhausen - not really nice, but cheap. In all three places you can get a train to Düsseldorf, it take about 20 - 30 minutes.
Hope you'll find your place, good luck!

Hi and Viel Glück in Deutschland. Berlin is still the cheapest
And most exciting to live in. And for a big city
It is also friendly.  Jim

Thanks for the replies.
In fact I have already arrived in Dusseldorf this week and am now looking for apartments. I have been warned already not to make any comparisons between Cologne and Dusseldorf, but I really do need to know which city would be most suitable to live in. Any ideas ?