New Cell Phone Rules??

Can anyone who has recently entered into Ecuador tell me if they had a problem bringing in their cell phones?  I have read twice now, where Ecuador is not allowing you to bring in your own cell phone.  I'm wondering if this is just a rumor, or if it is a fact.  Thank you in advance, I appreciate any and all information.

Boy,
It seems there is no end to the rumors that are floating around. If you think about it, it is totally insane. Peoples lives ( unfortunately ) revolve around their phones. Can you imagine the business disruption that would cause? Everyone has their itinerary and contacts on the phone.
Completely baseless rumor.
Good Luck

You canŽt bring a suitcase full of your own new-in-the-box cell phones, but you can bring at least one in, and maybe even two, but I would confirm that with someone else.

You can bring one new and one used for each person traveling to Ecuador.

If you can do that more than twice, I don't know. Maybe they keep a record in customs.

Vinny

You can bring in your own phone . Since they cost a lot more here I suggest you bring one with a chip that can be jail broken and then you can use it here by just buying minutes for it . We use the Samsung Galaxy S-3 and it was $40 to have it "jail broken " at a mall . Then we buy minutes for it at the drug stores . We are in Bahia if we can be of any assistance , look us up when you are here . Charlie Fritz

Update;
I came in on June 1st, 2013 with two phones. Never a question asked.

I just had a friend bring me one from the States January 30,2014

Starting March 12 people who come into the country will have to submit their phone to be checked that it hasn't been reported stolen. There's some code that each phone has that they can look up to see if it's been reported. There's also a limit to how many phones you can bring into the country, I think it's two, one new and one old? I can't remember. Here's the article in spanish about the new cell phone law: http://www.elcomercio.com/negocios/Ecua … 91264.html
I don't know how this is going to work in real life, if everyone will have to line up with their cell phones out?

chrisf29 wrote:

I don't know how this is going to work in real life, if everyone will have to line up with their cell phones out?

Sounds likely to delay the immigration/customs process. As you say, it will depend how it's implemented.