Will die from boredom

hi i'm new to this website but i'm glad found it. i just came back to Riyadh after spending the best four years of my life in The US. and now i'm here and i don't have any social activity at all. and i'd like you to help me or guide to where i can find good places to go to or at least allowed to go to for social gathering.

Thanks in advance :(

wanna meetup? inbox me your interest plz...

meshal-tx wrote:

hi i'm new to this website but i'm glad found it. i just came back to Riyadh after spending the best four years of my life in The US. and now i'm here and i don't have any social activity at all. and i'd like you to help me or guide to where i can find good places to go to or at least allowed to go to for social gathering.

Nationals are welcome on this blog to give advice and guidance to the expats, not the other way around :whistle:

will do suribhai, thanks :)

Nationals are welcome on this blog to give advice and guidance to the expats, not the other way around

sometimes it's the other way around :rolleyes:

especially in Saudi :mad:

Alliecat wrote:
meshal-tx wrote:

Nationals are welcome on this blog to give advice and guidance to the expats, not the other way around :whistle:

Meoooooowwwwwew!

meshal-tx wrote:

Nationals are welcome on this blog to give advice and guidance to the expats, not the other way around

Why?  It's your country!  This is like asking the guests to entertain the host lol

benchmarkzenith wrote:

Meoooooowwwwwew!

:dumbom:

Alliecat wrote:
meshal-tx wrote:

Why?  It's your country!  This is like asking the guests to entertain the host lol

ok then i'm sorry i asked, and for bothering you...

meshal-tx wrote:
Alliecat wrote:
meshal-tx wrote:

You're not bothering me.  In fact, I kind of feel sorry for you because you had a taste of freedom in the West and now you're back here.  Must be frustrating.  But a better way to make friends might be to offer *your* help rather than to ask for *our* help (that's the part that rubbed me wrong).

Best of luck :)

Alliecat wrote:
benchmarkzenith wrote:

Meoooooowwwwwew!

:dumbom:

:par:

Alliecat wrote:
meshal-tx wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

You're not bothering me.  In fact, I kind of feel sorry for you because you had a taste of freedom in the West and now you're back here.  Must be frustrating.  But a better way to make friends might be to offer *your* help rather than to ask for *our* help (that's the part that rubbed me wrong).

i seriously regret now that i even posted this thread... and defiantly i'm not here for someone to feel sorry for me!! and it's not because of the "taste of freedome" i posted this thread, it's because i found out from experience that usually expats know more about the city than the locals themselve and to meet foreign friends. upon my travels i came across a lot of locals who doesn't even know some places i visited in the city which they grow up in. i don't know you but from the way you're replying to me indicates how ignorance you are, i'm really hoping i'm wrong but just word of advice, Thomas Sowell said that "It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance". and for your advice, thanks a lot i really appreciate it, and will try to do so.

Good Evening

Join Internations

Regards

Trev

@meshal-tax, did you seriously just call Alliecat ignorant? That is uncalled for.

You are a Saudi and you are bored and want expats to make your life not boring? Good luck with that, because your post just showed how arrogant you are. Especially when she gave you exact advice on how to be friends with expats: offer to them instead of asking from them, which is how you make friends all over the world.

You will probably not come back to post or call me ignorant too. But you know what? At least I am not bored.

Xenolol wrote:

@meshal-tax, did you seriously just call Alliecat ignorant? That is uncalled for.

You are a Saudi and you are bored and want expats to make your life not boring? Good luck with that, because your post just showed how arrogant you are. Especially when she gave you exact advice on how to be friends with expats: offer to them instead of asking from them, which is how you make friends all over the world.

You will probably not come back to post or call me ignorant too. But you know what? At least I am not bored.

i said "indicates" and wished i was wrong, at least read her replies before defending her. i did thank her for her advice but apparently you haven't read my full reply too. why would i call you ignorant? you have an opinion and i respect that, and i kindly ask you to read her replies and see how she was talking to me or "feeling sorry for me" like i'm someone who's looking for charity. i'm glad your not bored :)

Best of luck,

meshal-tx wrote:

i seriously regret now that i even posted this thread... and defiantly i'm not here for someone to feel sorry for me!! and it's not because of the "taste of freedome" i posted this thread, it's because i found out from experience that usually expats know more about the city than the locals themselve and to meet foreign friends. upon my travels i came across a lot of locals who doesn't even know some places i visited in the city which they grow up in. i don't know you but from the way you're replying to me indicates how ignorance you are, i'm really hoping i'm wrong but just word of advice, Thomas Sowell said that "It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance". and for your advice, thanks a lot i really appreciate it, and will try to do so.

Interesting that you've become so defensive (and insulting).  Seems I've hit a nerve.  Sorry about that BUT based on your initial post about having just left the BEST four years of your life and not having any social activity in your own country, how can I not pity you?

meshal-tx wrote:

i just came back to Riyadh after spending the best four years of my life in The US. and now i'm here and i don't have any social activity at all. and i'd like you to help me or guide to where i can find good places to go to or at least allowed to go to for social gathering.

meshal-tx wrote:
Alliecat wrote:
meshal-tx wrote:

Ummmm.. still trying to find the part where you thank me :lol:

I think we have to stop this....it's not good anymore.....the replies are not healthy....tsk3x:lol:

benchmarkzenith wrote:

I think we have to stop this....it's not good anymore.....the replies are not healthy....tsk3x:lol:

This happens from time to time, BMZ, but we're all adults.  It will resolve itself without mommy and daddy intervening ;)

Alliecat wrote:
meshal-tx wrote:

Interesting that you've become so defensive (and insulting).  Seems I've hit a nerve.  Sorry about that BUT based on your initial post about having just left the BEST four years of your life and not having any social activity in your own country, how can I not pity you?

meshal-tx wrote:

i just came back to Riyadh after spending the best four years of my life in The US. and now i'm here and i don't have any social activity at all. and i'd like you to help me or guide to where i can find good places to go to or at least allowed to go to for social gathering.

i seriously don't see myself in neither defensive nor offensive position and if you felt that i insulted you in any way possible i'm sorry it wasn't my intentions! i never intent to insult anyone here or anywhere else. anyway, could you enlighten me how is being happy in another country makes the person pitiful?

Alliecat wrote:
meshal-tx wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

Ummmm.. still trying to find the part where you thank me :lol:

and for your advice, thanks a lot i really appreciate it, and will try to do so.

why are you trying to ruin this thread? why don't you just close it instead?

The easiest way to "close" this thread is to stop replying. :rolleyes:

But, on a serious note... If you truly want a Western social life you have to show you can be trusted. Flying off the handle is not the way to do that.

You need to tell people what your interests are, what you are willing to do (4 wheeling, desert hiking), and what you can offer. Many Western folks would enjoy having a Saudi friend to invite them into Saudi culture. Offer kindness and it shall be returned.

meshal-tx wrote:

i seriously don't see myself in neither defensive nor offensive position and if you felt that i insulted you in any way possible i'm sorry it wasn't my intentions! i never intent to insult anyone here or anywhere else. anyway, could you enlighten me how is being happy in another country makes the person pitiful?

You know damned well you insulted me--not that I care because it reflected negatively on you, not me.

And the pitiable part certainly wasn't about being happy.  That's a GOOD thing.  But it was the BEST part of your life?  And now you are HOME and looking to outsiders (expats) to 'guide' you to 'good places .. and social gatherings'?? 

When I questioned this, your reply was

meshal-tx wrote:

hmmmmm.. .'especially in Saudi :mad:'  I believe that says it all and that's what seems sad to me.

#1 'thanking' me was an EDIT after the initial post.

#2  Threads are generally closed when somebody starts insulting somebody else (as you did to me).

#3  I suggest you heed Xenolol's advice; she's spot on.

Xenolol wrote:

The easiest way to "close" this thread is to stop replying. :rolleyes:

But, on a serious note... If you truly want a Western social life you have to show you can be trusted. Flying off the handle is not the way to do that.

You need to tell people what your interests are, what you are willing to do (4 wheeling, desert hiking), and what you can offer. Many Western folks would enjoy having a Saudi friend to invite them into Saudi culture. Offer kindness and it shall be returned.

not just the western social life i'm looking for, i'm looking for expats who live in Saudi, it doesn't matter to me where they're from :)

thank for the advice and will try to :)

Alliecat wrote:
meshal-tx wrote:

You know damned well you insulted me--not that I care because it reflected negatively on you, not me.

And the pitiable part certainly wasn't about being happy.  That's a GOOD thing.  But it was the BEST part of your life?  And now you are HOME and looking to outsiders (expats) to 'guide' you to 'good places .. and social gatherings'?? 

When I questioned this, your reply was

meshal-tx wrote:

hmmmmm.. .'especially in Saudi :mad:'  I believe that says it all and that's what seems sad to me.

which was the insult? the ignorance part? if that's the one then i said what it seemed to me and hoping i am wrong. even if i said you are an ignorant PERSON, that's not an insult. how about when you said that you feel sorry for me? should i just laugh about it and say thank you because that's not insult?

yes i certainly am asking and looking for expats to guide me to good places and social gatherings, because those in my experience know more and better about the places than locals . i see that you disagree with me in this matter and i welcome that with an open heart, i'm just wondering why are you using those expressions or terms like pity, sad, and feel sorry? what am i supposed to do about that? laugh about it for instance? or ur just trying to get on my nerve?

it was edited two minutes after the initial post, and i don't even remember if the edit part was about the thanking or something else! even if it was edited for that reason, what difference does it make? what difference does it make if i thank you before  or after the edit? or your just trying to find anything against me?

The difference is that when I read it, the thanking part wasn't there (it was added AFTER I'd read what you'd written).  Simple?

Second,  I've explained why I felt sorry for you.  If you don't understand after all that, you never will.  I hurt your pride by saying I feel sorry for you?  Then be careful that what you post doesn't *make* people feel sorry for you.

Comprende?

Alliecat wrote:

The difference is that when I read it, the thanking part wasn't there (it was added AFTER I'd read what you'd written).  Simple?

Second,  I've explained why I felt sorry for you.  If you don't understand after all that, you never will.  I hurt your pride by saying I feel sorry for you?  Then be careful that what you post doesn't *make* people feel sorry for you.

Comprende?

nope :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

:)

TheLegendLeads wrote:

shhhhhh... we're trying to let this post die ;)

Alliecat wrote:
TheLegendLeads wrote:

shhhhhh... we're trying to let this post die ;)

thanks for the help:D

Locals or expats, This blog helps everyone who is in need of help.
So Guys plz calm down and suggest us in the right way. You all are most experienced here with culture, people and living. So we newbies need all your advice and support to survive here. Please respect this blog and be like friends. Am sorry if i said something wrong. Thank you all.

Dude, it's over.  No intervention needed :)

Alliecat wrote:

Comprende?

In my experience here, and with 2 very close Saudi friends, on of the worst things you can say or convey to a Saudi is that you feel sorry for them. (Incidentally, I have a British father in law & have noticed that many British people are the same way). Pity is something that they seem to absolutely hate - kind of like it's not your place to convey such a feeling to them. Pity seems to be restricted as something that should come from very close family or friends. The few times I've done it to acquaintances, inadvertently, I've always received the brush-off (Correct me if I'm wrong meshal-tx).

So perhaps there was some cultural misunderstanding.

Just my two cents before we let this thread run out. :)

kathiri wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

Comprende?

In my experience here, and with 2 very close Saudi friends, on of the worst things you can say or convey to a Saudi is that you feel sorry for them. (Incidentally, I have a British father in law & have noticed that many British people are the same way). Pity is something that they seem to absolutely hate - kind of like it's not your place to convey such a feeling to them. Pity seems to be restricted as something that should come from very close family or friends. The few times I've done it to acquaintances, inadvertently, I've always received the brush-off (Correct me if I'm wrong meshal-tx).

(This is to distinguish from empathy where you've been in a similar situation or feel like you are in the same boat, which is not the same thing, if that makes sense. Cultural values and behavior are so complex!)

Yeah, I picked up on that's why he got angry and insulting.  As you know, we westerners often say we 'feel sorry' for somebody as a way of indicating we commiserate, which is how I meant it.

Unfortunately, he didn't take it that way :lol:  Oh well, whatcha gonna do?

Now, DIE THREAD, DIE! :D

kathiri wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

Comprende?

thanks for the clarification i really appreciate it. in my opinion, it's not about the culture. i think anyone would feel offended if someone pity them.

yeah, I picked up on that's why he got angry and insulting.  As you know, we westerners often say we 'feel sorry' for somebody as a way of indicating we commiserate, which is how I meant it.

Unfortunately, he didn't take it that way lol  Oh well, whatcha gonna do?

Now, DIE THREAD, DIE! big_smile

i feel sorry for the cat, she/he seems really nice cat but the one who took the picture made her/him aggressive ;) , sorry if i'm mistaken :P

woahhh! that went out of hands quick..
One weekend i dnt visit you lot and see what I have to come to :D

anyway moving on.. start of a new week.. and a new month!
whats going on?

btw we all love each other here.. for some (like me) this is our lil cafe' to hang out with fellas ere.

sh3hryar wrote:

woahhh! that went out of hands quick..
One weekend i dnt visit you lot and see what I have to come to :D

anyway moving on.. start of a new week.. and a new month!
whats going on?

btw we all love each other here.. for some (like me) this is our lil cafe' to hang out with fellas ere.

lol no worries everything is fine :D

cheow

its hot in here chill out guys , Mostly you have to clime down ...