Private tutoring - kid's homework club

Could someone give me information on the best way to start private English tutoring in my own home (rented)? I've been teaching English for over 30 years, so am well qualified.

I'd like to incorporate private tutoring with a 'homework club' for Vietnamese kids (in addition to focusing on English).  I have an 8yr old daughter enrolled in  Qld Distance Education (Australia) via the internet completing Grade 3. Thought this might be a good way of introducing some Vietnamese kids into an English based curriculum as an 'added' education and/or 'homework group' (they also would get acquainted with using the internet if they don't have access).

How viable are these ideas?
Where can I recruit students from? (from what I've read- not posters)
What hours would be best? i.e. what are the current school hours?
I've also taught Tourism etc, perhaps tap into the market to teach adults Tourism in English?
Any constructive ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks

Hi, Im vietnamese, i married a korean- belgium guy and im living in nhatrang.
We have 2,5 years old son. we looking for a class or a group of kid to hang out have some fun and learning English. I wonder if you could learn our son basic english?
If you can please contact me , my email: [email protected], my cell phone number 01628 714 849
thankyou

Maddie18 wrote:

Could someone give me information on the best way to start private English tutoring in my own home (rented)? I've been teaching English for over 30 years, so am well qualified.

I'd like to incorporate private tutoring with a 'homework club' for Vietnamese kids (in addition to focusing on English).  I have an 8yr old daughter enrolled in  Qld Distance Education (Australia) via the internet completing Grade 3. Thought this might be a good way of introducing some Vietnamese kids into an English based curriculum as an 'added' education and/or 'homework group' (they also would get acquainted with using the internet if they don't have access).

I've also taught Tourism etc, perhaps tap into the market to teach adults Tourism in English?
Any constructive ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks

Anything you do has to be "low keyed" and passive.  You don't go recruit students - they need to come to you.  I'm sure the teachers themselves have side businesses tutoring and if they find out that you're stealing their customers, they will likely report you.  Officials will come and give you a hard time...placated if you have some envelopes readily available as "gifts". 

Generally you just go make a small sign that says in Vietnamese "English Tutoring"...let me translate it for you "dạy kèm tiếng Anh" and accept a few students.  After a bit, the word will spread.

You need to follow the official English curriculum dictated by the Ministry of Education.  They're books that you can buy at a bookstore.
http://media.vatgia.vn/pictures_medium/small_fbo1372997348.jpg

You put up a sign in front of your house and just wait for kids to show up.

Kids around 8 years old go to school in either the AM or PM.  Until high school, they only go to school 1/2 day, 6 days a week.

You'd be competing with the big language centers then.  If you were Russian and not Aussie, then that would be an awesome idea since the language centers have few, if any, Russian classes.