How strict is immigration on taking dry spices back to U.S?

Greetings folks.  I have a bit of a dilemma.  A family member of my girlfriend has asked me to take a care package back to the U.S. for her boyfriend who also happens to be a good friend of mine.  She gave me two sealed containers of Maggi Sazon, which is fine, but she also gave me a one pound air sealed transparent bag of dry oregano, which at quick glance could be mistaken for weed.  I smelled the bag and it smells like oregano, but I told my girlfriend that I did not feel like getting stopped and having to explain the contents either upon arrival in the U.S. and most definetely not here in D.R. Since I have no rights here in this country.  I told her that if she had bought it in a traditional sealed plastic shaker container with a name brand attached, that would be fine, but that such a large amount of Oregano in a clear plastic bag, just seems like asking for unnecesary harassment in my opinion.

I only hope she is not offended by me not wanting to take the package, I told her it had nothing personal to do with her, It simply opens up the possibility for delays either leaving the Island or upon arrival in the U.S.  Are my actions reasonable or should I just take the Oregano? Any insight is truly appreciated.  My girlfriend seems fine with my desicion, It is her family member I'm concerned about, thanks.

I think it is a smart idea NOT to take the oregano with you. Some times customs (especially here) can be a bit over zealous in their job.  Not worth the potential hassle

Bob K

Thanks Bob for the advice, I feel the same way, why risk It.

I hate to play devil's advocate, but I'm going to.  When you say the bag of oregano is "air-sealed", did you actually break the seal and sniff the contents?  If so, great, but I would agree it's still not worth the hassle of transporting it.

But if you didn't, a good air seal will prevent even the characteristic smell of marijuana from coming through, and that opens up a whole other set of issues that you need to consider.

Have you ever watched "Locked Up Abroad"?  I trust you're not being set up, but just know that the "girlfriend asking for help in transporting a package" is a well-known ruse.  I think one of the reasons I'd be particularly concerned is because she's asking you to bring "oregano" back to the US??  Why?  Oregano is on every shelf in every supermarket here. And why air-seal the package if it's just oregano?  If it were a unique spice that couldn't be found here, it would just make more sense.

I hope you have broken the air seal and confirmed it for yourself.  If not, I'd recommend doing so just to ensure that you're not being played.

Thanks for the advice, I have decided not to take the package.  Yes I have seen locked up abroad, and my feelings are the same as far as oregano goes, there is plenty of it back home, just wanted to get other peoples take on the scenario.  Much appreciated.  I did not break the bag open, but it does smell like oregano, but as you have said, it is just not worth the hasle.