Applying for a life partner visa while on a tourist permit?

Hello,

I have been reading through the South African Department of Home Affairs website along with any material I can find regarding SA life partner visas on the web and I'm finding that a lot of the information is more confusing than anything else - it would be brilliant if I could get clear answers for my questions. I'm a United States citizen currently in South Africa on a 90-day tourist permit and I'm looking to apply for a life partner visa with my South African partner. I have a little over 30 days before my tourist permit is up and was wondering a few things about the process of applying for a life partner visa. It would be lovely if anyone here has recent experience to share and can advise.

1. Can I apply for the visa during my stay in South Africa? (I'd rather not have to return to the States if the life partner can be obtained while I am still in the country.)
2. What is the paperwork involved for obtaining the permit?
3. Would it be advisable to extend my current visa while trying to obtain the life partner visa? From what I understand, I can apply to extend the visitor's permit by another 90 days, though I also have an organization where I can offer my volunteer services and would be able to apply for a volunteer visa.

Any insight would be truly appreciated. :) Thanks everyone!

-S

Hello, elephants!

elephants wrote:

Hello,
It would be lovely if anyone here has recent experience to share and can advise.
1. Can I apply for the visa during my stay in South Africa? (I'd rather not have to return to the States if the life partner can be obtained while I am still in the country.)

Yes, you can apply for a LLP permit during your stay here in SA but you need to hurry up then because that should be done not later then 30 days prior to your visa expiration date.

elephants wrote:

2. What is the paperwork involved for obtaining the permit?

I don't remember ALL of documents for a LLP but you should search for the list on this forum. It was discussed many times.

elephants wrote:

3. Would it be advisable to extend my current visa while trying to obtain the life partner visa? From what I understand, I can apply to extend the visitor's permit by another 90 days, though I also have an organization where I can offer my volunteer services and would be able to apply for a volunteer visa.
Any insight would be truly appreciated. :) Thanks everyone!
-S

Looks like that's the best option for you since you need time to collect all the papers required for the LLP application (for example police clearance certificate will take some time to receive etc). So you will extend your tourist visa, gather all the necessary documentation and apply for your permit without leaving the country.
Hope it helps.

I thought LP visa was only granted after 2 years of cohabitation and joint financial obligations within the country, or at least that you can 'proof' that you've been together for long enough.

I've know a few friends that tried the fast route with the visitors permit only to receive a visa cancelation and/or denial, because they didn't have proof of that since they were only together for less than 6 months thru an online relationship, which is not either cohabitation or joint financial obligations.

Be very careful and try seeking legal help.

Silvana_Arocha wrote:

I thought LP visa was only granted after 2 years of cohabitation and joint financial obligations within the country, or at least that you can 'proof' that you've been together for long enough.

Silvana, you're absolutely right! But the elephants' story doesn't provide any details about this. We don't know for how long they've been together and if they have any proof of the relationship. But I replied it's possible to apply for a LLP while being here in SA since it is theoretically possible if they have necessary documentation.
By the way I have read some stories that people sometimes didn't provide any proof of cohabitation so they just submitted letters from friends/relatives who stated that "the relationship is sincere, they love each other etc. etc." and it worked!

Hi Everyone

I am also applying for a life partner permit and I have been using an immigration company who have been helping me. The advice I have received is you need to be able to prove the following:

1. That you and your partner have lived together at some point before, or that you will be living together here in South Africa.

2. That there is joint financial responsibility. Usually this can be proven through joint bank accounts or bills paid on behalf of the other.

As far as I have been advised you don't have to prove that you have been living together for 2 years prior as long as you have evidence of the above you should be fine.

Like the others have said you also need police clearance, medical and radiological reports.

I was advised that the application can take home affairs anywhere up to 6 weeks. Although on their website they say 30 days..

Also if you have friends and family that can validate your relationship (they just need to write a letter) this helps.

All the best with your application! =)

Hi all! Thanks so much for your advice so far... it's been going fairly well. :)

I was approved for a visa extension on my visitor's pass, though I wasn't informed for a couple months and now I have less than 30 days to submit this application. A bit frustrating, but liveable. I realize that this may consequently lead to me having to pay an overstay fine at some point, but I'm hoping for the best.

One great thing is that my boyfriend and I are now renting a flat together and have proof of cohabitation in South Africa. We are working on getting a joint bank account, I've had my doctor's exam, know when the radiological exam will be, have people willing to write us records, etc. The one thing that has really been challenging us is the police clearance record. I've just phoned my local police station and have not gotten any clear answers, just that they definitely wouldn't send it. I don't want to fly back to the States just to get this, the cost of the flight is steep and after going straight from NY winter to CT winter, I'm quite ready for a South African summer. :)

Has anyone (particularly from the USA) gone through the process of getting the police clearance record without leaving the country?

Elephants, go to the nearest Embassy, I obtain my new police clearance from the Colombian one fairly easy, so I believe the US one would be even easier.
Colombia do have an online service, where you can just download it, this was implemented this year, so check if the US have the same thing, and you just go to a Police Station and have it certified.

That is fairly simple in every country.

Good luck!

Silvana

Hello,

I am an American currently living in France and in the process of applying for a South African work visa.  Since I am now a french resident, I had to apply for FBI Federal Clearance.  Since you seem to be officially a resident of the US still, maybe the local state clearance is ok.  However, if you need the federal FBI clearance, I can tell you this will take a long time.  You need to get your fingerprints done first, probably easier in South Africa than it was here.  Then send it to the fbi where they list processing time of 5-6 weeks.  Mine was sent 9 Jul from France and I received the results back 23 Aug.  Best of luck !

elephants, I wouldn't worry about an over-stay fine if I were you. In South Africa Home Affairs is generally so slow (my wife's visa renewal application took five months instead of one month) that the deadlines are all pretty much moot. So long as you're making an effort to be legal (as opposed to all the illegal immigrants from cross-border), Home Affairs probably won't bat an eyelid.

As long as your partner is a south African and can testify that you are love, then its very easy to give you the visa and therefore go ahead and apply for it. Edward.

Hi There I need some urgent help.

I studied in Australia and stayed in a big shared house with a few students. I fell in love with one of the guys in the house and we dated for 1 year before we parted ways to our countries. I went to visit him 2 months later in Japan on my way home to South Africa. He's now coming to SA to visit me again. We love eachother and are very committed and our parents and friends know about our relationship. We did not share financial responsibilities because we did not need to, we just studied at the same college and had the same group of friends.

Will this be enough to be accepted for a life partner visa? Please help

I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

SV

Hi!

I am South African, and my boyfriend is Brazilian. We are in the same situation now. We are considering to apply for a Partner visa. 

How is the process going?

No, you will have to show more committment.

Hi,

I'm a Canadian citizen and I'm engaged to a South African. We're still not married yet, so we are also going through the same process as you.

Concerning the police clearance certificate, I'm afraid that you will need to go back to your country...what SA authorities require is a proof that you don't have any criminal record and from what we've been told here in SA, you can only get this by having your fingerprints taken in your country.

Hope that it could help,
and good luck.