Buying a Used Car

Hello to all,
I have some questions if anyone could help me.

I was thinking of bringing my car over from an EU country but the laws here are so complicated
(12 months without registering it, but if you get the recidence card with is mandatory after 3 months, then you have to register it and pay at least 1000 euro, etc etc or pay penalty 20 euro per day if you dont register it, once you get the ID card because if you work here you are not a tourist but a recidence even if you dont have the recidency, wow so complicated!)

So I decided that it is best to buy a crap car just to do my job and I wanted to ask if you happen to know the process of transfering licence and any hidden red tapes.

I am here 3 months now, EU member , working here full time, dont have a recidency as the appointments are September and on....

Any help is much appreciated

Thanks

apply by post may be quicker.....

PS not that there is any evidence to support it....LOL

No hidden red tape, if you get it from a garage they will do the paperwork. If you buy it privately you both need to fill in the rear of the log book and take it into transport Malta to have it transferred to your name.
Look on the TM  website for more info and to check that the vehicle has no parking or speeding fines against it before you buy it.

Terry

Thanks for the tip.

One question: why should I check if there are speeding or parking fines?

Do fines transfered as well to the new owner!? Thats weird.

I would guess that before the date of tranfer/purchase this should be on the previous owner

Thanks again

Fines are recorded via the registration plate and should be paid before transfer.

Terry

Especially if buying an old car, check the condition of the car very carefully, no matter if you buy it from a dealer or private person.
Check when the next VRT is necessary and also check if it was first time registered before 1.1.2009 or thereafter, because the annual road tax can be several hundreds of Euros more for the same car.

tearnet wrote:

No hidden red tape, if you get it from a garage they will do the paperwork. If you buy it privately you both need to fill in the rear of the log book and take it into transport Malta to have it transferred to your name.
Look on the TM  website for more info and to check that the vehicle has no parking or speeding fines against it before you buy it.

Terry

it is also in the interests of both buyer and seller to make sure of these things and ensure it gets done properly - as I have known some sellers to have sold the car only to find the buyer hasnt registered it in their name and as such the fines etc end up going to the seller.

so beware.

HI all,
I have a further question about buying old car in Malta.  I have residency card already and want to buy an old car. Someone want to sell his car to me. It was imported from the UK.
If the owner of the car has not paid the registered tax and then sell the car to me, do I need to pay for it?
What kind of fee do i need to pay for buying car in Malta? Thanks.

Sam

SammyC wrote:

HI all,
I have a further question about buying old car in Malta.  I have residency card already and want to buy an old car. Someone want to sell his car to me. It was imported from the UK.
If the owner of the car has not paid the registered tax and then sell the car to me, do I need to pay for it?

Sam

Be very careful with this one as it will depend on who imported the car and when. Someone will have to pay the import tax but you need to know how long its been in Malta?
Was it brought in by a dealer or a private individual?
Why is the person selling it to you without paying the import tax themselves? (he may have found out how much it will cost him ).
You say it was imported from the UK but its not imported until and tax has been paid. Have the UK authorities been notified that the car has been exported?

In my opinion it will be easier to buy a Maltese registered car.

Terry

This link will tell you the registration tax that will be payable...

http://www.transport.gov.mt/land-transp … individual

Just got a car for my son.
UK licence and Passport,registered with Transport Malta and transferred logbook no problem.
Must prove address,we produced a 12 rental agreement in our name(his parents) only along with copy of my passport (dad).
Log book in his name at our address.

You need to transfer the ownership into your name before receiving the car,can be done at Transport Malta in a morning.
We left a small deposit on the car and copies of everything and the guy selling the car got a dealer who was a friend of his to do the transfer,we didn't even have to go personally but I assume that's because it was a dealer who processed the exchange of log book.
You will need proof of local insurance.(certificate)
cost 20 Euro.

Hope it helps.

That was a car Maltese purchased locally not imported.

SammyC wrote:

HI all,

Sam

I assumed that you were talking about a UK registered car but having reread your post I guess you could be talking about a Maltese registered car that was imported tax exempt.
If this is the case the owner will need to contact transport Malta to find out how much tax there will be to pay before he can sell the car.
There is I believe a sliding scale of tax payment from the date the car was imported tax free and this depends on age, mileage and which way the wind is blowing!
I have tried to get an answer via phone ( I own  a tax exempt car that we wish to sell ) but TM will not give me figure as they say it needs to be inspected before they decide!!!

I plan to take the car over this week to try to get an answer from them so will update you then.

Terry

tearnet wrote:
SammyC wrote:

HI all,

Sam

I assumed that you were talking about a UK registered car but having reread your post I guess you could be talking about a Maltese registered car that was imported tax exempt.
If this is the case the owner will need to contact transport Malta to find out how much tax there will be to pay before he can sell the car.
There is I believe a sliding scale of tax payment from the date the car was imported tax free and this depends on age, mileage and which way the wind is blowing!
I have tried to get an answer via phone ( I own  a tax exempt car that we wish to sell ) but TM will not give me figure as they say it needs to be inspected before they decide!!!

I plan to take the car over this week to try to get an answer from them so will update you then.

Terry

god luck on that!!!!

I'm ever the optimist, there must be someone in TM that knows what they are doing!
Lets hope he (or she)is there  when we go.

Terry

are you sure?

OK for those who own an imported tax exempt car and want to sell or exchange it.

Book an appointment with TM vehicle inspection department.
They will inspect the car and give you a value based on the age, type and mileage.
Take this valuation across the road to the vehicle registration building who will then disappear into the bowels of the building to consult someone, they then pluck a figure out of the air and this is what you will pay.
The last bit I made up as there seems to be a scale of charges but they are unable to reveal it until you hand in the valuation.
So now you know! or not!
The valuation changes on a monthly basis so the closer to sale time the cheaper it will be (in theory).

We plan to sell ours in October after the VRT, so will go back for the valuation then and update once we have paid.

Terry