General help and advice needed from Dan

Hi there, I need some general advice if possible, and I really thank you in advance for any help you can give me. I am looking to relocate to Malta and am thinking of working in the insurance industry as I am currently on the fringe of insurance work in the U.K (claims sign ups, investigtion work and assesing claims) The problem is I have been up for good jobs with two massive U.K insurance companies and got through to the final interview stage with both companies only to lose out as I have two offences on my criminal record (common assault due to an incident on a night out) the offences were about 3 years ago. I have tried to move on from the stupidity of that night but find it difficult to get a job when disclosing my CRB. I am a very good worker with great knowledge of the industry and this seems to be my only sticking point with employers for good career type jobs. If I were to start fresh in Malta does anyone know if I would need to undertake CRB checks or would I be judged on my skills and how I conduct myself at the interview. If you can help me as I am very confused as to where I would stand on relocation, thanks Dan

Hi Dan
         I guess you already know the answer to your question, if you apply for a job at some point either on the application form or as part of the interview you will be asked about any criminal record. Malta is an EU  country and a lot of the way things are organized are the same as in the UK, so yes there are checks and some will be more strict than others.
If you fail to disclose something then its fraud and at some point in the future you will get caught out!
Having said all that I would advise contacting some insurance companies in Malta and perhaps come over for a holiday and visit them for an informal chat but don't try to hide anything. Don't give up before you have even tried, there are people that will give you a second chance, be positive.

Good luck,

Terry

completely agree with Terry...we have all made mistakes we regret later in life and there are many who will give a second chance. be positive - go get that job lad and good luck.

Thank you both for your posts, I guess I did know it would be the same but was hoping it would be different over there.I think coming over there and having a holiday would be a good first move and I have nothing to lose if I apply for jobs, am honest and dont get the job then at least I know for sure, I have found the insurance companies in the U.K very unforgiving, but heres hoping. I have my fingers crossed and if anything moves forward from this you may well receive an e mail off myself for further help and advice about Malta in general. Once again thanks for your comments.

Dan

Declaration will also depend if sentences are 'spent'. Whether they are 'spent' or not depends upon the sentence given and declaration of them depends upon the question asked and/or the level at which the (previously known) CRB check goes to.
For more information and details go here:

https://nationalcareersservice.direct.g … tions.aspx

Good luck