Information required for residence permit in Mauritius

Does anyone can help me with some answers about living in Mauritius, to the following?

In the relative government site I read that condition to get residence permit for a retired (this is my case) is to bring into his account at least 40.000$ per year.

I would like to ask:

1.    Is this condition strict?
      (My income is near but not 40.000$)
2.    How is this controlled?
3.    How easy is to re-export funds you brought in?
4.    Are there any restrictions?

Thanks in advance,

Hello Athineos,

Welcome here!

I'll answer to the best of my knowledge (I am also retired).

1. Yes this is compulsory.
2. After 1 1/2 years of residence in Mauritius (I arrived in August 2008), I received a form to fill in and had to attach a certificate of my local bank certifying the total amount which I entered on my account. In case you have your funds transferred via another method as bank transfers, be sure to keep the receipts (such as Western Union receipts).
3. I think there is no problem to re-export in case you leave. (When I will leave Mauritius next July, I will change my account to a non-resident one and if I need to transfer money to elsewhere I won't have any problem.
4. Please clarify your question here.

Best regards
Arlette

Hello Arlette,

Many thanks for your kind reply and the information given.
Regarding funds transfer, i understand that when you keep a non-resident account you can re-export them any time but then they are not considered as "imported" funds. If you convert them into local currency, then it is a question if you can export them, unless you are leaving for good.
Regarding the 4th question this is related to the previous one i.e. "Are there any restrictions in the free circulattion of funds".

Best regards
Alexandros

Hi Alexendros,
In fact I don't think there are any restrictions on exportation of funds (unless maybe on very big amounts? I don't know?). I am sending money abroad every month and nobody questioned me about it.
Maybe other members here could tell you more about it.

Best regards
Arlette

The government is getting wise to re-circulating funds. By law you must transfer $40,000 USD for 3 years for a total of $120,000. People are clever and are only recycling $40,000. The government is cracking down on this, NOT YET.

Hi Paul,

What do you mean by

pbrough wrote:

People are clever and are only recycling $40,000.

?

Arlette

Hi Arlette,
That is good news. I was afraid that there would be restrictions.
Many thanks again!
Alexandros

i want to visit mauritius am mexican but i have 6 years in usa and i want to know what paper i need to visit there?

bose wrote:

i want to visit mauritius am mexican but i have 6 years in usa and i want to know what paper i need to visit there?

Hi Bose,

In order to give you proper information, please tell us if you just want to come on vacation, or rather want to come to reside here?

Cheers
Arlette

retnecllac wrote:

Here are useful info if you are traveling as a tourist.

Retnecllac

Please make sure that you understand the request before spamming every single pertinent thread with your "adverts" . Why don't you pay to promote your spots ? Does the word troll mean something

Retnecllac's account was deleted (that was too much)

1.    Is this condition strict? - yes, the government will ask for bank verification records.
      (My income is near but not 40.000$ - you will have to show a minimum of a $40,0000 deposit for year 1, year 2, and year 3,
2.    How is this controlled? You print your bank records and they call bank to check accuracy.
3.    How easy is to re-export funds you brought in? - they're getting very keen to this. You are allowed to use this money. But if they see large bank wires out of the country they're going to be suspicious.
4.    Are there any restrictions? - no age restriction, no minimum residency restriction. Other countries have an age and residency restriction. I think soon Mauritius will change to add these conditions.

@pbrough

Thank you,
Information given was detailed and very helfull.
Thanks again...
Alexandros