Herrenau district

My husband and I are in the process of moving to Salzburg. Temporarily, we're living near the SCA on Alpenstrasse. I love the location, but rents seem higher in the areas near there. We've tentatively located a flat in Herrenau. It's fairly spacious, though we wish we could have an additional room (there are 3 bedrooms and one large living area.) The price is well within the range we set for ourselves.

I'm concerned that it's far from the centre of the city (though it is close to Europark ((is that right?)) by car). I'll be travelling by bus or bike, mainly. I had hoped to be within walking distance of shops, and this would be pushing it.

All in all, we're inclined to go for it, but we have no experience in Salzburg, so we have nothing to compare it with.

It's just a bit overwhelming. Also, for 20 years, we've had the luxury of a single-family house with plenty of room to stretch out, so we'll have an adjustment to make in moving to a flat.

Can anyone give me any feedback on relative rents, desirable location or other thoughts? We mid-fifties, like to bike and walk, into eating out, yoga, cultural interests, and travel.

Hi Lorraine,

You are near to Europark, but that is a huge shopping complex and not much else around. 

The rents are high in Salzburg, it is nauseatingly expensive, more expensive than Vienna!  I have found my new home, on the Moosstrasse, which is not cheap, but what I will save in travel costs, will make me about even Stevens. 

The bus services are excellent and once you find your feet, you could perhaps take your bike on the bus.  I'm not sure how far you are out of town, (after three years, I know, my work, where the bank is and where to get a decent glass of wine and where the post office is and Getreidegasse) 

But the buses are great, I would enjoy mooching about the place and finding a route that is good for you.

Salzburg is the most expensive city to live in Austria.  You won't be far from much.  Salzburg isn't a huge city...pretty small actually. 

As for travel..you are close to the German border and the views in that area are spectacular..you aren't a far drive from skiing either. 

I think you'll like it 8-)

We took the flat and we love it. You're quite right: Salzburg is very compact. We can bicycle to the centre in 20 minutes. Bus takes about the same time.

it is expensive indeed....