Residence card/visa - how long?

Roughly how long does it take for a residence/work visa to be issued from the time all the paperwork has been submitted? I was told it could be anywhere from three to five months. Is this an accurate estimate in your experience?

Thanks.

Yes,
Now a days, the visa process is acquiring a considerable time. If you're lucky enough, you may get the visa in 2 months either.

Well it all depends on your employer how quickly they can process your documents to different ministries.. mine took 2 months...

Mine took 1 month, its depends on company and employer. Free zone companies will get clearance fast.

newinsohar wrote:

Roughly how long does it take for a residence/work visa to be issued from the time all the paperwork has been submitted? I was told it could be anywhere from three to five months. Is this an accurate estimate in your experience?

Thanks.

Hi newinsohar,

About Employment Visa

If the concerned authorities have granted all the required approvals, and the company submits all the supporting documents according to the latest immigration department's requirements, then it takes just about 48-72 hours for an Employment Visa to be issued.

If getting an employment visa issued drags for more than a maximum of 5 working days, then there is some cause for concern, as it would mean something is amiss with either the clearance, or with the papers submitted.

The reason for the indefinite and inordinate delays is invariably because of job / designation clearance issues and the lacuna in the paperwork on the part of the organization requesting for the new employment visa.

Good luck !

newinsohar wrote:

Thanks.

Hi newinsohar,

About Resident Card

It is a mere half-a-day's affair to get one done.

You go to the Directorates General of Civil Status in Seeb, along with your company's PRO. He will present all your papers. A token will be issued. You then go to the waiting area and wait your turn. (Because of the milling crowds in this department, be prepared to wait for at least a good 2-3 hours for your token number to be assigned to a counter. For this reason, it is better to go a little late in the evening since this department operates until 10:00 p.m.).

When your number is displayed, go to the respective counter, get your fingerprints and photograph taken, sign digitally, pay the required fee with a Card (cash disallowed), then proceed to the card distribution area and when your name is called out, provide proof with your fingerprint and collect your resident card. That's it. You become a registered and legal expatriate ! This process has to be done once every two years when your employment visa gets renewed.

It would help you to also refer to these websites for details :

http://www.oman.om/wps/portal/!ut/p/c4/ … idencecardhttp://www.manpower.gov.om/en/ministry_home.asp

Best wishes !

Here's a very sincere thank you to all of who took the time and effort to reply. Your responses certainly gives me a better idea of how things work.

Hello,

I am been selected for a Teacher job in a school in Sohar. I have already sent my original documents after getting it HRD attested & MEA's apostilled. How much time will it take to procure my visa. The school are under holidays now. till first week of Sept 2013.
I am just waiting for a favorable reply from any expats who can explain the procedure of procuring this VISA. In the mean time can i undergo the medical test in a GCC approved GAMCA center here in bangalore? Or will the school people tell me when I should go ahead for getting my medical tests.?

Well lyamanda,

Welcome to Sohar. I moved to Sohar few months ago. Well you can see different posts regarding this issue and there is no solid answer how long will it take to get a visa as it varies from company to company and your HR that how competent they are to do things in time.

You should do your medical test asap as it take good two week as you need to attest that medical test from the Omani embassy in your country. Your employer will simply ask you to send them the report and it will further delay. SO get your test done asap. for visa time no solid answer.

Dear liverpoollfc,

Thanks for the updates!!!

Any particular visa name for me....

I'm being selected as a Teacher in a school.=)

You are welcome.. nothing special you will get an employment visa as all of us get. GMCA people knows just ask them for the test.

Hi Newinsohar,
Just wondering if you have got your visa ? I want to have an idea on how long mine will take as I have submitted my papers in Mid-June 2013.

Hi mmohamedg,

as I have mentioned it could take random times... there are lots of post here which referring to same thing.

Dear Lyamanda,
Its very hard to get through this indefenite waiting period. If your employer have not asked you to forward your medical report (done from a GAMCA approved centre), then your final visa processing is yet to begin. As per my understanding,  once after we submit our attested certificates, the ministry will give a permission to your employer for further processing and another approval from labour department. The final visa processing will begin only after these initial approvals. So, once your employer has asked to process your medical,  that indicates that almost all the hurdles towards getting visa is cleared. Once after the employer submits your all relevant documents along with the medical,  its the matter of only 3-4 days until you get your visa.

Another problem of getting the medical in advance is, the maximum validity for your medical is 3 months and you cannot repeat your medical in 6 months time. I would suggest you to wait for medical till that is asked by your HR.

Re: cancelled family visa
Hello,

If your wife is sure of not returning to Oman, then it is advisable to get her dependent visa and residence card cancelled before she exits the Sultanate. In case your family decides to return at some later date, the process would be simpler and easier that way.

If your wife exits the country and does not return to renew her visa and resident card, it would lapse automatically. But re-entry would be a hassle. It is any day better to follow the procedures to make your life in a foreign country uncomplicated.

Good luck.