Moving to KL

Hello
My DH has been offered a salary of 22MYR gross/month.

Is it true that all expats have to work as contractors until we get an EP

Living :Could you please let me know if this salary is sufficient for a comfortable living with a child who would be starting reception this September

House :Looking for an apartment/condo around 2300-2500. What would be the best place around KL .

School : The GIIS and ELC seem to be convincing .We could not afford to GIS or Alice Smith. I see a mixed review on ELC. Which area would be closer if we opt for GIIS or ELC.

Thank you

hello dear, beside of brickfield, u might want to stay in bangsar,got many expatriat living there, i am even stayed there before..:)

Shrilaya
I assume that your salary is 22k gross per month. Deduct 26% flat tax for the first six months.
Now with the balance salary, the killer part is schooling. You will have to do an extensive research on this and I invite fellow expats to share their experiences in this case.
After schooling, comes rent.. 2.5k should get you a nice condo anywhere. Even in main city area.
Try searching for rental rates on iproperty.com and propertyguru.com.my
I have lived in Bandar Utama for some time. Pelangi Utama is a nice condo over there and will cost you somewhere close to 2.2k. You can consider living there. Nice area it is..!
Cheers..!

Thank you ilam ramadan

Hi coooolguy_tdh
many thanks . Pelangi Utama - considering the traffic conditions ,Just wondering how long would it take to reach the KLCC?

Do you have any idea on the ELC school? The pictures and youtube video seem to be fine but would be happy to hear from a parent how the child feels like.

Could other expats please share their views which would help us to make a decision.

Hi I suggest you look a little wider there are many schools in kl. To get a decent one you will need to pay 2500 rm min per month (as in 30k a year) but some are up to 100k per year. You get what you pay for. Your children deserve it!

As for EP who told you the bull about being a contractor? That would be illegal without an EP! It is ok to work once the company has applied for an EP. They need to do this.

On 22k you are getting the salary expats should get as a minimum with one child so live ok.but not like royalty. As you will find a lot will disappear on the child

Shrilaya
Pelangi Utama to KLCC shall not be more than 30 mins at any given time..!
Cheers..!

Hello everyone,

I am being offered around 6500 Ringgits per month + around 20,000 Rs Indian Salary. We are planning to move to KL with a family (husband and 1 yr old kid).

My office is near Mid valley City in KL. What is the cost for single or two bedroom apartments in Mid valley city?

With this amount, can we make a decent life style?

I also need to put my kid in a day care, How easy to find a day care and how much will be the cost approximately?

And my husband needs to look for a job there. He is a java guy with 7 yrs of experience. Is it easy to find a job there?

Pls suggest. Thanks

[Moderated: Please post in Housing section]

Nemodot wrote:

Hi I suggest you look a little wider there are many schools in kl. To get a decent one you will need to pay 2500 rm min per month (as in 30k a year) but some are up to 100k per year. You get what you pay for. Your children deserve it!

As for EP who told you the bull about being a contractor? That would be illegal without an EP! It is ok to work once the company has applied for an EP. They need to do this.

On 22k you are getting the salary expats should get as a minimum with one child so live ok.but not like royalty. As you will find a lot will disappear on the child

Many thanks Nemodot

coooolguy_tdh wrote:

Shrilaya
Pelangi Utama to KLCC shall not be more than 30 mins at any given time..!
Cheers..!

Hi thank you and sorry for the delay

Dear All - I have been offered Gross Salary of RM 23K per month from one of the reputed company. I am an IT professional with over 17 years experience from India. First of all, is this salary as per the market standards considering flat tax for 6 months @26%? My current salary in India is quite decent at my experience level.

I would like to stay in Brickfield or nearby area with 2 Bed Rooms Furnished Apartment. I am planning to travel with my wife and 9 yrs school going kid. I intend to put my kid in GIIS.  I plan to take a car on rent for transportation. Request members to share monthly expenses on below with current trends:-

1. Accommodation at Brickfield or nearby - 2 BedRoom - Fully Furnished -
2. Transport (Car Rental + Petrol)
3. Grocery
4. Electricity+Water
5. Internet
6. Mobile connection for 2
7. School - I have budgeted RM1500/Month for GIIS
8. Cable TV Connection
9. Yearly trip to India (Mumbai) -
10. Social Outings - (at least 4 times a month) - eating out / movies etc.- 
11. Do I need to budget anything else  (Please advise)

coooolguy_tdh/carlyle1979 - I have been following your threads...appreciate your views as well...

Regards,

Hi Rajkv,

Please post an advert in the Housing in Kuala Lumpur section with details of what you are looking for this might surely help. ;)

Regards,

David.

Expat-blog team.

For cost of living www.numbeo.com this site will give you much of the information you are seeking.