I would like to know more about Health care insurance

Hello Guys,

I am working for company in Nitra,  I would like to get confirmed some things  about medical insurance. because i  got confused with two different stories.

My office told me,  because i am working in Slovakia ,  i must have  health insurance with  dovera, and this will pay from my salary. (I am not own the company)

My friend told me that his medical insurance paid from the his company, but it does not deduct from his salary. Not sure which is correct.

Can some one explain to to what are the things i should pay and what are the things i should  not pay to the government /health insurance ? (exclude the Income Tax :))

Thanks in Advance.

ng

Hello naughtyguy.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Aurélie

Hello Naughtyguy
Yes you do need to pay health insurance and yes it is deducted directly from your pay, just like tax is.  There is a choice of health insurance companies, not just the one, so perhaps if you ask around then there might be a reason to go with a different health insurance companies.  An example is have a look at the website of VSZP, link below:
http://www.vszp.sk/en/how-become-our-insured-person/
During my first year here the company I work for did not deduct sufficient so at the end of the year I needed to go to one of the health insurance offices of the company I registered with to pay in the difference, not much and not a hassle.
The health insurance card that you will receive is need for every visit to a doctor or the hospital or anything to do with collecting medication etc, along with your Slovak ID card.
Hope the information helps.

A useful link:
http://mic.iom.sk/en/health/health-insurance.html

Hi, i see you have mentioned tax deduction so i assume you are working as self-employer. As to this, to add what was already explained, yes you have to pay health insurance, i am with Dovera and it is approx 55 eur. This is what you have to pay to have all doctors, dentists and so on for "free", always remember you live in Slovakia so some fees might be added, e.g. better tooth filling but they should always ask first. For first year as self-employed you do not have to pay Social Insurance as it is counted from your last year income. But in case your are employed, all this things are deducted automaticly from your salary (read: covered by employer). You do have to though register with one of Insurance companies. I can't tell you differences between companies as I am with Dovera all my time here.
If this does not help or is off the subject, sorry.
Good luck with it and remember: You are in Slovakia and misteriuos things may pop out from time to time.