Buy RES property

I am traveling to Mauritius last month, very impressed by the island, and I saw broche about RES project on the flight back, I am so interested and began to contact with some local promotor, also I booked flight to have a look on spot in June, before make decision, there is still some questions:

1. Is it guaranteed to get a family resident permit after bought USD 500K+ RES property?

2. What is the different from a permanent resident permit to the resident permit under RES?

3. Which area is better for family live? Grand Bay or Tamarin or Flic en Flac? or any other recommendation?

4. If I moved family to Mauritius, is it allowed to take my home stuff free to here? just like TV set, speakers, amplifiers, desktop computer, or I have to pay extra TAX for them just like bring a car?

5. How about the normal price range of property managerment(security, solid wastes disposal, gardenning, maintainace, etc)

thanks

Hello gerald.wu.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

In meantime, you can read the other threads on the Mauritius forum.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi Gerald,

1) Yes it is guaranteed. The RES scheme was implemented to grant residency to people who invest in those luxury residential units. However, as a personal advice, I would suggest you make your deal with a renowned and reliable developer.

2) A permanent residence permit allows a foreigner to live and work on the island for a period of 10 years. The permit can be renewed if the applicant abides to the terms and conditions imposed by the government.

A residence permit under IRS grants the foreigner the right to live in Mauritius as long as he/she owns the property. He/She can rent the place under those conditions.

3) It all depends on your work and way of living. Grand Bay, Tamarin, and Flic en Flac are tourist and leisure spots located on the Northern and Western coastline. These are places where most expats are concentrated. Major towns are located on the central part of the island. The South/South West is Mauritius in its authentic and natural state. The East is starting to develop its tourism and shopping potential. The South East is a bit conservative. Now up to you to pick the right spot based on your standards!

4) Yes, you can do so. Shipping from China is not so expensive. I don't think you will be taxed on these items but I'm not quite sure.

5) I think you will be provided with all these amenities in your RES deal. However, better to discuss with your promoter.

Hi, Kaviraj

thanks, I have two more question, can you help?

1) can you confirm that      investmauritius     is the official BOI website?
                               www.               .com

2) I downloaded an approved RES projects list from the above website, is it safe to contact by the lists? (means no cheat)

Hello Gerald,

It is also worthwhile noting that you can have a resident permit in Mauritius through other ways than luxury residences. If you invest 100,000 USD in a business you can be eligible for instance.

See: worknlive.mu/menuid1.aspx

Once you are resident, you can now purchase ONE appartment in a R+2 residence even if it's not RES (otherwise, property is restricted to Mauritian citizens only).

Otherwise, you have to go down the IRS / RES route. Very luxurious, gated and secure places, if that's your thing.

Here's a few well known ones:

Anahita - anahitamauritius.com/
Villas Valriche - villasvalriche.com/index.php
Tamarina - tamarinagolfestate.com/en/estate-estate/
Balise Marina - labalisemarina.com/en

Cheers
JM

gerald.wu wrote:

Hi, Kaviraj

thanks, I have two more question, can you help?

1) can you confirm that      investmauritius     is the official BOI website?
                               www.               .com

2) I downloaded an approved RES projects list from the above website, is it safe to contact by the lists? (means no cheat)

Yes that's it.

If it is from the BOI website, you can go ahead without any concern.