Opportunities for Business

Hi guys, I am new here.

I read a bit about Myanmar this week and it sounds like the opportunity of a lifetime to get in at the ground floor with a business. From what I read the country needs everything from roads, to electricity, to banks and hospitals.

I also read that the country is barely ready to receive foreign income as new laws must be passed. However, he who dares wins. Is it too early to get started?

What is the mood like there? Is it impossible to get anything done? Are you going to tell me it's just too hard and to forget it? I heard that many times before :)

How might I get started? Can a foreigner even own a company there yet?

I am all ears.

Hi michaeldon,

Welcome to expat-blog!

Please can you write an introduction of yourself, and giving more details about your business project may help to guide you in the right way.

Thank you,

David.

Thanks David. I am in the travel business now but I don't necessarily see that as what I want to do in Myanmar. I am thinking along the lines of construction - building office blocks or residential real estate to support the wave of inevitable expats.

I am an ex telecom infrastructure engineer. I used to build GSM networks with Nokia, so a telecom bushiness supporting the new networks would also not be out of the question, although not my first choice because it would only last a few years.

Another thought I had was that it might be possible to get a banking license and start a small bank. Still I am sure there are many more possibilities.

Hi Michael,
My name is Winston Paing. If you are free next Saturday evening, we can get together at Union Bar. Pls let me know.
Regards,
Winston.

Hi Winston

That might be a bit difficult. I am about 12 hours away by plane :)

Hi Michael,
Bon voyage!

Heh, I mean I am now researching and I live in Bulgaria.

I will come to Myanmar in a couple months and I hope by the to have learned a lot and have met a lot of interesting people here.

[Moderated: Please post in Jobs section]

If you want to understand the business opportunities in Myanmar just search in YouTube for "Myanmar Investment Opportunities - what you need to know" by consultmyanmar. One of the best explanation I have seen on how the various laws in Myanmar works. Sorry I could not post url on this site for some reasons.

hi,.,.
it is not early to start your own business in Yangon. There is plenty of opportunities in Travel , Tourism and Hospitality. If you wanna discuss further more with me, please contact this number if you are in Yangon until August,(0943076925)
I believe I can share some good ideas for you.
regards
nwe