Moving to Malta

Greetings all, we are heading out to St. Julian's on June 1st for a 2 week holiday/fact finding mission. Hope to meet with knowledgeable accountant and Maltese embassy in Dublin before we go. Success will be opening a bank account and finding an area to rent for our first year.

Major problem is that we want to hold on to our house in Dublin for home visits and the big worry that this will exempt us from Maltese tax residency. Please PM if you have a solution to this.

Hi Rigel,

In my opinion, you should open a new post for your query. As the issue on this topic has got nothing to do with your query, you might not get the answers you're looking for. Your question is a bit off topic in regards to the subject of this thread.

Best of luck!

Hi Rigel,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

A new topic has been created from your post on the Malta forum.

All the best,
Christine

If you live in Malta for more than 6 months in any tax year (Jan to Dec) you will be classed as resident and pay tax in Malta on any money remitted to Malta. If you plan to keep your house in Ireland and not rent it out then there is no problem. This is not tax advice as you have not given any details as to your status ie retired, working self sufficient etc.

Open a bank account with HSBC before moving and then transfer it to Malta.

Terry

Thanks for opening the new post and for the helpful advice. The embassy were very helpful but because I have other Irish income my accountant said I would need to file returns in both Ireland and Malta; somewhat defeating the purpose. He said he and his associates would do that on my behalf.

We are in our early sixties and would class ourselves as economically self-sufficient but would consider taking jobs to help with the integration.

Anyway we are still heading out for our 2 week holiday.  From what I could find HSBC do not have personal banking in Ireland. I still plan to open a bank account while in Malta and talk with a relocation advisor while we are there.  Any recommendations would be welcomed.