Libya: X Things I Hate About You

Let us call a spade a spade. Libya sucks! Well... sucks most of the time...
I am constantly coming up against things that frustrate, annoy, and anger me to the point where I consider my options.
Of course there are those moments that make it all worthwhile but every single day brings moments of frustration. And this can't be good for my health!

Please let off steam in this post and tell us what things annoy you most.

Examples of my pet peeves:

Driving (has to be @ the top of the list)
Bad manners
Queue jumping
Arrogance
Dirt
Disregard for health and safety
Laziness

The list is unfortunately endless....

Regards
EL

ExpatLibyan wrote:

Please let off steam in this post

Nice idea EL, but since I'm already under threat of being reported to the security services for expressing my personal opinions, I'll give this one a miss for the time being....:lol:

I'm already under threat of being reported to the security services for expressing my personal opinions

Really? Because of the tread: "Update from Frommers Travel Blog re Libya"

LOLOLOL

I thought you were a dangerous suspicious person when you wrote the topic about... cheese.

If you've got lemons, make lemonade.

OTOH, if you've got apple juice, water, sugar & yeast, you're laughing!

<>

same as ExpatLibyan, but changing driving for taxi drivers....

IT IS ONE WORLD - ONE SKY - ONE SEA - ON AIR )0-0 HUMANITY
))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
EVERYTHING STARTS FROM ZERO

PEOPLE LEARN

WHO CAN WE BLAIM !

============================================
I HAVE A QUESTION ?

WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT DUBAI ?  WOW INBELIVEBLE

GO TO GOOGLE AND SERACH HOW WAS DUBAI BEFORE 15 YEARS ?

=========================================================

NATUREL ACT. .PAY MORE .PAY LESS = IT A FAKE STUFF

---------------------------------------------------------

ENJOY WITH UR CASH BEFORE U GET CATCH

=========================================================

ELBAMBNOZ DI TRIPOLI

I have one.
All the crappy attitudes.

MRinardster wrote:

I have one.

I agree.  Why did you guys come here if you hate it so much?

gabacho wrote:
MRinardster wrote:

I have one.

I think it is more about what is annoying rather than hating, though some of us are here trying to make a living for our families. I thought this board was about tolerance of others opinion, but obviously not. I thought the cheese thread was a bit suspicious myself :lol:. What I find irritating at the moment is the temperature fluctuations, today for example it is supposed to get as high as 37 degrees centigrade, yesterday it was only 26 - weird !!, better that than the temp at home in Scotland though :P

Annoying is a better description!

I've previously lived in Nigeria where we'd be without city power for up to 2 weeks at a time; where the water for the house was delivered by tanker and was often tainted with diesel; where we lived in a compound with 8ft high walls with razor wire and 2 very nasty dogs running loose at night; where it was kidnap open season 365/24/7 on expats....but at least the beer was good and cold!

Swings and roundabouts, I think.

I agree with Clansman, there are lots of annoying things in Tripoli, but that doesnŽt mean we hate it!! IŽm sure there are things anyone would hate in Madrid and in Brasilia (my home cities) but that doesnŽt mean I would be angry about hearing it. A little bit of tolerance is never bad...

I almost forgot...

The bloody internet speed!! Sometimes I feel IŽm in the mid 90s with my 14400bps modem!!!!

Clansman wrote:
gabacho wrote:
MRinardster wrote:

I have one.

I think it is more about what is annoying rather than hating, though some of us are here trying to make a living for our families. I thought this board was about tolerance of others opinion, but obviously not. I thought the cheese thread was a bit suspicious myself :lol:. What I find irritating at the moment is the temperature fluctuations, today for example it is supposed to get as high as 37 degrees centigrade, yesterday it was only 26 - weird !!, better that than the temp at home in Scotland though :P

My comment wasn't meant to be critical of anyone.  The first post in this topic is very negative ("Libya sucks").  No one has to come here to make a living for their family, but I understand why people do.  Part of the expat bonus for Libya is to help you put up with the annoyances. 

I admit that Tripoli isn't perfect, but I've been to worse places.

Sandman6 wrote:

Annoying is a better description!

I've previously lived in Nigeria where we'd be without city power for up to 2 weeks at a time; where the water for the house was delivered by tanker and was often tainted with diesel; where we lived in a compound with 8ft high walls with razor wire and 2 very nasty dogs running loose at night; where it was kidnap open season 365/24/7 on expats....but at least the beer was good and cold!

Swings and roundabouts, I think.

I could do with both of the bits in bold to be honest, sodding little tw@ts with their fire crackers at it AGAIN last night, the dogs to sort them out, and the beer to get to sleep ;)

gabacho wrote:
Clansman wrote:
gabacho wrote:

My comment wasn't meant to be critical of anyone.  The first post in this topic is very negative ("Libya sucks").  No one has to come here to make a living for their family, but I understand why people do.  Part of the expat bonus for Libya is to help you put up with the annoyances. 

I admit that Tripoli isn't perfect, but I've been to worse places.

You have been to Aberdeen then :lol: I agree the title is a bit OTT, but when a family is trying to 'better' themselves and the only ex-pat option offered was Libya what would you suggest they do ?

Fine, mad driving aside, I'm personally "entertained" by the below although I better be keeping mum for the same reasons as everyone:

- piss-poor car parking

- nasty stray cats chillin' on the lawn

- sunken manholes on wretched roads

- the normalcy of driving without insurance, side mirrors,   head and tail lights and plate numbers

- portable 4-metre tents that block internal roads for an indefinite no. of days

- fireworks every other day

- gawking bystanders, 180-degree necks with muffled side comments

- teenage boys hinting at their crouch ;-) if not scratching the paint off your car - puzzling

- invisible traffic signs or nonexistent directional signage

- daily whiff of canned tuna for lunch on every freaking day

Ever seen floor brush and a squeegee as a closed road warning? Or maybe a 1-meter, 1-foot in diameter date tree trunk as manhole cover? Visit my Street…but I ain't saying where.

Dont get me wrong - i love the quiet...quietness.

Peace out.

bohemiangal wrote:

It has a maximum speed of 2 MB

Whoooo....there goes another one flying over :lol:

Granted the title of the thread was OTT. It was a play on words of the film "10 things I hate about you" and was meant to grab attention!

I am Libyan; I love my country and very proud of my heritage. I know exactly where I come from and I don't have to prove that to anyone.
I have hopes and aspirations for my country just like any decent human being and I want to see improvements and advances at all levels...

But I am also a realist and a I prefer to see things as they really are and not through rose-tinted glasses.
So when I exercised my right to point to the everyday irritations that I and many other expats experience, I was met with a lot of accusations and attempts to silence me.:(

May I also add INTOLERANCE to my list ;)

Love & Peace
EL

On a very good day I get a maximum 300-350 Kbps inbound and a pathetic 5-10 Kbps outbound.

That's living fairly close to a transmitter and using 2 x 16 dBa high-gain external antennae.

LTT omits to inform their audience that the 2 Mb they advertise is a shared or common inbound. Fine if you're the only person online - it's all yours, but in the real world, it'll never happen.

And btw, "home" is south of here...

bohemiangal wrote:

Sorry, I dont get it. If you're comment is about the speed.. I realize its not like back home but its definitely not dial up speed - 14400bps?

Rose-tinted glasses ---- I rest my case!
reminds me of Comical Ali (remember him?) and his infamous quotes
"We have defeated the infidels!":)

And coming back after 2 month's visa renewal trip (hello to everybody!) I can say that many things changed to the better. It seems much cleaner now, with traffic signs and obviously with a cadastral project in full swing: they counted all Al Dahmani area with green plates on each building now. And many of the nasty constructions (small and bigger shops and the opposite block being added a floor) have been finished by now. Even the cars at the entrance to our block seem to have changed for more expensive. And they finally seem to have stopped annoying my child...

Did I miss the place so much?! ;):lol:

bohemiangal wrote:

Expat Libyan you're entitled to your opinion as I am mine. I was expressing my opinion, hence my comment "I find ...” That's my opinion.

BG, of course you are entitled to express your opinion...
The reason for my "rose-tinted" comment was the fact that anyone who has used Wimax for a reasonable length of time, would conclude that the Wimax service sucks. True, on a good day the service would be adequate but in my experience those good days are few and far between!

ExpatLibyan wrote:

reminds me of Comical Ali (remember him?) and his infamous quotes "We have defeated the infidels!":)

Off topic:

Remember the time Comical Ali was being interviewed by CNN on top of the building, rambling on about the coalition being given a good spanking?

The CNN hack turns to him, pointing across the river, and says "Isn't that an Abrams tank?"

you couldn't see the comedian for dust.....:lol::lol::lol:

ExpatLibyan wrote:

Granted the title of the thread was OTT. It was a play on words of the film "10 things I hate about you" and was meant to grab attention!

I am Libyan; I love my country and very proud of my heritage. I know exactly where I come from and I don't have to prove that to anyone.
I have hopes and aspirations for my country just like any decent human being and I want to see improvements and advances at all levels...

But I am also a realist and a I prefer to see things as they really are and not through rose-tinted glasses.
So when I exercised my right to point to the everyday irritations that I and many other expats experience, I was met with a lot of accusations and attempts to silence me.:(

May I also add INTOLERANCE to my list ;)

Love & Peace
EL

May I remind you that you are Libyan (not an expat), just like I am Irish and would never refer to myself as other.  That's what you call a spade a spade.

Have you forgot Libya is a developing country.

May I remind you there is good and bad in every country.

Please look up the definition of love and peace.

bohemiangal wrote:

I just ran a test right now. It was download: 2.04 mb/s and upload: 0.47 mb/s

The problem is you did this test during the day.  Try doing it on the evening or the weekend.

Also, I noticed wimax speeds have been a bit better since the jihad started.  There is probably less usage right now.   During January and February there were a lot of evenings where the internet was modem speed with 30% dropped packets.

Are you realy Libyan ??

If you don't like it , why you don't leave to another country ??

man , libya is libya , and i like it like this ,

we not going forward as long we have people like you

LIBYAN POWER

ibrahjette wrote:

Are you realy Libyan ??

LIBYAN POWER

It is attitudes like yours that puts people off posting on this forum 'pal', I lost a good friend (Libyan) due to the manical driving setup in this country just 3 days ago, why don't you STFU ?

ibrahjette wrote:

He did leave to another country!

Good....you stay where you are

LIBYAN POWER = toys out the pram every time you don't hear something you don't like

Sandman6 wrote:
ibrahjette wrote:

He did leave to another country!

Good....you stay where you are

LIBYAN POWER = toys out the pram every time you don't hear something you don't like

Doubtless a 'ban' in the offing for me for having a go at a tw*t that doesn't accept others views, I have never said that Tripoli is anything other than mixed, sometimes brilliant other times Infuriating, ah well such is life, there are always other sites to use :D

ibrahjette wrote:

Are you realy Libyan ??

LIBYAN POWER

ibrahjette, Osama, et al.,

I take it all back. There is nothing, I repeat NOTHING annoying or frustrating in Libya. Every thing runs smoothly, driving is a pleasure, there are no annoying tw@ts to ruin your day,:rolleyes: tolerance is the norm, in fact life is wonderful.
Now, anyone wants a loan of my glasses?:|

bohemiangal, May I refer you to my explanation of the title:

ExpatLibyan wrote:

May I also remind you of the definition of some of the words I used to describe my feelings?
annoy:to disturb or bother (a person) in a way that displeases, troubles, or slightly irritates.
frustrate:to disappoint or thwart (a person)
irritate:to excite to impatience or anger; annoy.
anger:a strong feeling of displeasure and belligerence aroused by a wrong; wrath; ire.

All legitimate feelings IMHO
Love & Peace
EL

bohemiangal wrote:

I joined this forum.......not to discuss politics

So please explain to us why you hijacked a previous thread which I'd started, in order to present your political views?

bohemiangal wrote:

I just wanted to clarify another misconception. Libyans eating canned tuna for lunch. I have never heard of it. I know hundreds of Libyans and can honestly say I have never heard of eating canned tuna for lunch. Couscousi, baseen, dolma, mbutton, tbikha, borek, borek batata, tajine, rishtat cascas, rishta burma etc. etc. (all of which are absolutely delicious) yes, canned tuna - never heard of it.

The lads in my office do it every day, checking some of your posts I am starting to think you are here just on the wind up :rolleyes:

bohemiangal wrote:

Clansman - I have never heard of it. Asks the lads whether what I said is true or not.

If you check my posts you will find my post are always trying to offer useful information about Libya (whether websites or addresses). I realise you're close with Sandman so you obviously won't admit to the fact that he is constantly posting political comments and I do admit he also posts really useful info about Libya.

First point in bold, they make them for me as well (they are typical Libyan's very generous and kind).

Second point in bold, which is why I like Sandman, he helps new ex-pats out with advice on BOTH the good and the not so good side to living here. The political posts are generally (if not always) of interest to us ex-pats as it affects us in one way or another - Shengen issues etc.

Bohemiagal...think again.

First you hijack my thread in order to promote your own political opinions, then you post that your views and comments are not political. You seem somewhat confused.

And on the subject of tuna in a bun...go out to any of the desert rigs and see what they're eating for lunch!

bohemiangal wrote:

I just wanted to clarify another misconception. Libyans eating canned tuna for lunch. I have never heard of it. I know hundreds of Libyans and can honestly say I have never heard of eating canned tuna for lunch...
Lunch, breakfast, supper, midnight snack..any time really..
canned tuna - never heard of it.

An excerpt from a Brazilian canned tuna fish manufacturers:

"The company became interested in the Arab countries market three years ago when it first exported tuna to Libya. The North African country is the world's highest per-capita fish consumption says Chemerinski.

Each Libyan consumes an average of 5 pounds of tuna per year, considerably higher than the 3.5 pounds per capita annually consumed in Spain"

http://tunaseiners.com/blog/2009/10/ira … irst-time/

bohemiangal wrote:

Desert rigs? I don't even know what desert rigs are. Aren't most of the people at or on "desert rigs" foreign workers (I'm assuming it has something to do with oil. I'm referring to the general Libyan populus. Walk along Gergarish (for example) and take a poll of how many Libyans eat canned tuna for lunch.

Desert rigs are eh how can I put it, rigs that instead of being located in the sea are located in the err desert. I work in an office in the center of Tripoli and have just spoken to my lads and the Tuna thing is very common as far as they are concerned, oh aye and see post above.

bohemiangal wrote:

Yes, for breakfast, brunch or even dinner, maybe. But from my knowledge never lunch. Lunch is the largest meal of the day and consists of a heavy meal. Similar to many other Mediteranean countries.

I stand corrected, the guys dish them out about 10.30 am, it's just that I keep one for my lunch, apologies.

bohemiangal wrote:

No problem. Well, you have a list of local cuisine now. Try some (if you haven't already), it is delicous. My favourite is something called, bourdeem or bourdeen (not sure which) but it is meat that has been cooked underground. It is so tender! There are some restaurants that sell it. Definetely worth trying.

You can't keep me away from the local food mate, Libyan Macaroni is THE best, either with Beef or Chicken. The security guards at the apartment I live in were eating it one night when I and my neighbor came home, being typically Libyan they invited us to join them, we did and LOVED it. Need to find a restaurant that does it now.

bohemiangal wrote:

Desert rigs? I don't even know what desert rigs are. Aren't most of the people at or on "desert rigs" foreign workers (I'm assuming it has something to do with oil).

Over 500,000 Libyans are directly, or indirectly employed in the oil & gas industry, which makes O&G employment one of the highest per-capita industries of any country. Are you trying to tell me that anywhere close to that number of expats work in Libya?

So, besides oil/gas and tuna consumption, what else do Libyans excel at?

- Highest per capita ownership of sunglasses?

- Highest per capita use of hair gel?