Has anyone dealt with the new background check rule at immigration ??

They now require a state level or FBI check. Anyway around it for someone like me who had a good background before the rule change, but had to get some docs redone in the US? They changed the rule while I was waiting.

The state requirement has been in place for a long time. The Fed background check seems to be an Urban Legend type thing, or just bad info out there. I just got confirmation from my attorneys in Cuenca, and the Consulate here in Minneapolis that the state background check, from the state you've spent the last 5 years, is all that is required.

According to an Ecuador Insider "all that is required is a certified copy of a Police Record (from your local county sheriff's office)which must be apostilled."  This is from an attorney practicing law and recommended by IL, printed yesterday, 5/23/13.

How about that lawyer's name? It would be helpful to me especially since I was told yesterday that an FBI report is the ONLY acceptable form.

There is so much confusion and misinformation out there it's ridiculous. I'll tell you it even goes to the Consulates here in the US. The agent I spoke with in MN. told me I had to have my paperwork " legalized " on top of already being Apostille. Well, he was wrong. I questioned him at the time, as it sounded redundant. You were doing the same thing twice. I went ahead and had him to it. My attorney in Cuenca just flat out said the agent here was mistaken, and they are handling these cases daily. Same w/ the FBI report. They don't even want to see one. Your fingerprints from the FBI will be denied, they will HAVE to be taken in Ecuador. A state police background check is all that is required AT THIS TIME. I will also say that a gal I know that just went through the process said that " soon " the FBI check will be required, but again, I think it's all rumors. To be honest with you, I don't think Ecuador has very high regard for the US Feds, and would rather deal with the states. It also raises the question of immigrants from other countries, such as Canada.

Leaving_GA wrote:

How about that lawyer's name? It would be helpful to me especially since I was told yesterday that an FBI report is the ONLY acceptable form.

Roberto Moreno

When you find out the attorney's name could you please e-mail it to me? I'm getting ready to get all my paperwork finished.

Thanks,
Darlene

Roberto Moreno

We would like to know the name of the attorney also.  we are coming in January or February.  Is there a good or better time of the year to come down or is in the same all year??
Marionk

Roberto Moreno

Mugs,
Could you give me the name of the attorney?

( see last 3 posts please)

< GRIN >

Perry Mason

Matlock is good too..

I went with.....
Johnnie Cochran

lol........