Hi moving to Sri Lanka in july

Hi i am moving to Colombo , in Sri Lanka in July I was wondering if anybody could give me some info , on places to go etc things to do , im a single 33 year old guy from liverpool in the UK , all tips and advice are welcome . speak soon :D

Hello Ryang22,

welcome to Expat.com!

I moved your post to the Colombo forum for better visibility.

Regards,

Francesca

thanks Francesca :-)

[Moderated]

Hello Ryang22. First of all welcome to Sri Lanka.
Are you going to Sri Lanka on holiday or work. Either way, you will find the place very fascinating, be it the crowded downtown streets of the cities like Colombo, Kandy and Galle or the laid back roads of the country side.
What you do depends on your preferences. Let me know what your preferences are and I could (try to) give you some tips of places to visit and things to do.

Ayubowan (traditional greeting in Sinhala, the national language of Sri Lanka, and it means "May you live long")

Hi Farhaz i am going to Sri Lanka to work and live , in colombo , allthough I intend on seeing as much as this beautiful island as i can , :D

Does anybody Know anything about dental care in Colombo and if I could get an invisalighn or simaler invisable dental brace ?

Hi Ryang22

How long do you intend to stay in Sri Lanka ?
what makes you to choose Sri Lanka as next destination of yours ?
Depend your responses to above I will give valuable ideas

Thanks Hope to see you here in July

Regards
lalendra

Hi Lalendra , thanks for the reply , Sri Lanka chose me really haha , i was offered a job in colombo and when I looked in to it more , i felt i would be crazy not to take up this adventure ! my intial contract is 2 years, hope this helps ?

Regards

Ryan

[Moderated: Free advertisement is not allowed on the forum]

Hi Ryang22. Great to hear my country chose you :)

Loads of things to see and do in Sri Lanka. I will try to list out a few things and you may find something interesting:
History, Culture, Religion, Parks, Gardens, Cricket, Rugby, Soccer, Beaches, Boating, Dolphin and whale sighting, Night Clubs, Gyms, Walkways, Hiking, Trekking, Jungles, Elephants, Surfing, White-water rafting, Volunteering, Mountains, Tea, Golf ...

All depends on what you like to do.

Best wishes.

Thank you  Farhaz
Im sure from your list il pretty much have a good look at most things :D I will be busy haha

Forgot to mention - enjoy the monthly full moon day holidays :)

Cheers!

Hello Ryan,

I was in Srilanka in April and looking forward to coming back in November.

First of all how long you going to be in Srilanka?

My advice to you is that if your over there for a short period, dont cram in too much stuff for sight seeing as travelling around takes up too much time.  Travelling on the train is cheap, as I went down south for around 900 rupees in first class or around 400 rupees in second class. Air taxi is also a quick way of getting around the island, from galle to colombo it was around £40 one way.

Certain things ive noticed have gone up in price ie alchohol, I normally stuck to lion beer which is cheap, even cheaper if you get it from the liquor store.  Note that on certain days of the month where there is a full moon, alchohol cannot be sold and its a public holiday.

If you go down south, I visited an animal rescue centre called animal sos sri lanka in ahungama not far from koggola beach hotel, where I stayed.  An english lady called Kim set it up, to take care of stray and abused dogs, its an amazing place.  I took some stuff for the dogs and donated some money as she relies on charity mainly. If you help out, she has rooms for people to stay, its clean and very safe.

If your missing home? there is a mac donalds in colombo.......lol

Look forward to hearing about your plans.

Roderick

Hi Ryang,
How are you doing?
I'm from Spain and I just left Colombo last Saturday and I'll be back in September.
So let's keep in touch. Drop me a message at [email protected]
If you need any info or any help, let me know.
Rgds

Let me know your expected duration and purpose of visit

Thanks
Rila

Reply to [email protected]

[Moderated: Please post your advert in the Business partners classifieds in Colombo section, this might be helpful.]

Welcome to Sri Lanka. There are plenty of places to visit and see in Sri Lanka depending on your interests. Colombo is a clean but crowd city like any other metropolitan city. All modern facilities are available such as good hospitals, cinemas, shopping malls, pubs, discos, gyms and bars. If you are interested in culture and history, you can go to Kandy and North Central Province where you can see historical places over 2000 years old. If you are keen on beaches, Southern and Eastern areas have some of the best beaches in the world. If you want cooler climates and a bit of mountains, Central part of the country is hilly and cool. Comfortable Accommodation and meals are available in all these areas.

Hi, when you in Colombo.please call me on 0777746022. I would like to help you.

Hello Nimal.

Welcome to Expat.com :) If you have more informations on the subject, it would be great if you could share it with us on the forum.

Thanks

Karen :)

Hi there, there are lots and lots of activities to join, there are a few ex-pats clubs which organise many interesting trips, classes etc.    I run a charity down in Hikkaduwa, lots of happenings down here to, many tourists, surfing, glass bottom boats, whale watching, 'helping charities' ...  Good Luck x Joy