Disability

Does anyone here receive disability from the states, namely those with mental illness?

I was wondering about getting meds/costs, Dr. that would provide services, and legality of keeping your check while living in Belize.

I have done research and got answers but wanted first hand knowledge of someone who has dealt with the same issues.

Thanks in Advance,
Laura

Hi

Hi LoveBelize !

Why not sharing on the forum so that everyone can benefit from it?

Regards
Armand

Well Armand Hi

Cultural faux pas?? It is not polite to ask someone to discuss their mental illness in a public forum. Ooopsie.

Thank you so much for the response.  I haven't been up to par the last few days but i will get back with you soon.

Also, I have no qualms about going public with my illness.  I am sure there may be others who could benefit.

My main worries are that i cannot get my meds or see a therapist, especially while living on a small income.

Once again, I will contact you soon.
Laura

I would also be interested in how the US handles a situation like this...

For Americans living abroad may I suggest that you contact an attorney familiar with disability. Perhaps the one you used to get your claim approved if you had one. And read this from the SS website.

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers … g-overseas
It does not provide all of the answers but it is a start.

Here is another great publication by the United States Social Security Administration regarding collection of US Disability and Social Security Benefits while living abroad.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10137.pdf

Your Supplemental Security Income (SSI) will usually stop if you leave the United States for a full calendar month, 30 consecutive days or more.  However, it is important that you tell Social Security the date you plan to leave and the date you plan to come back. Then we can let you know if your SSI will be affected.

this is from the official site.

There is a very helpful "tool" which you input information and it automatically tells you whether you can still receive payments while living abroad.  This "tool" told me I could still keep my benefits/checks.

However, reading the publications, it seems once you leave for 30 days your payments will cease unless you return every six months to the states.

I guess I need to contact the SSA to get a definite answer.

Thanks so much,

Laura

I will contact SSA tomorrow, but from what I am reading from the questionaire on the site. As long as your disability is not SSI (lower income and/or you did not earn enough credits) you can receive your benefits while living in Belize (there are other stipulations if living elsewhere).

I will update when I get a definitive answer.

Laura

It does cost you $50.00 bz a month to stay in Belize for up for 6 months then after that it is $100.00bz.

yes, i knew the fees involved.  If what I read is correct, you are quoting the fees for 2 people though, right?

No the fees are per person

ok, lol, i was looking at the cost in US dollars on another site.  duh!!  So, yes...I have that covered.  Thank you so much for all the info.

As we are in Belize the prices are in Belize dollars

Hello everyone....I've been living abroad for 3+ years, and also received monthly SS benefits. I've never heard of benefits being suspended if you are gone for ANY period of time. I know many expsts who have been abroad for many years and always get there monthly SS. BUT, SS will only directly transfer your benefit to a US account, or a bank account abroad that REQUIRES only the recipient to withdraw funds....NO ATM or 3rd party withdraws. This is to prevent fraud. Knowing that laws and rules in the US are NEVER simple or easy to understand....there could be many reasons why they put condition with LoveBelize situation. Hope to hear others stories too.

It is called Disabality.  My daughter is on it and she cannot leave the country for more than 30 days or she looses it.

Yes, I understand....myself and many others receive ss disability too.....im sure ss imposes lots of different rules for different situations..

unsubscribe me from this thread