Calais to Malta

Hello forum, were planning to relocate to Malta later this year and I have a few questions regarding the trip down. We were going to fly down until we checked about bringing our 2 dogs which no airline carry from Ireland! We had planned selling our car and to find something in Malta but after researching cars we have different ideas! But having checked out road tax rates there now were really in a bind. we thought rates were bad in Ireland but  Malta's road tax table takes the biscuit.... I have a 2002 Subaru WRX and it looks like the tax now is about €800 a year. MADNESS.

Anyway I am rambling on so please see our questions below:

We will get the ferry to Calais, does anyone know if there are pet friendly hotels on route?

Do they need to be caged for the journey?

Many thanks.

Kev

Hi tippkev

We are moving from Ireland to Malta in the next 2 weeks. We are driving from Cherbourg though. Have 5 pet- friendly hotels booked -very reasonable, took a lot of hard work, but makes a massive difference financially as variety of prices is unbelievable.
When are you planning on moving? Could share hotel details once we have the actual experience - hopefully all will go well ( can share before it, just can't recommend anything untill it's tried and tested :) ).

Tinna

Hi Tinna,

Well the best of luck travelling down to Malta. Were looking maybe September or October. Its would be great if you could pass on after you get down there. Have you secured a property down there ye?

Still on the look-out, have a pet-friendly apart-hotel in Malta booked for few days after arival & appointment made for the next day after arival with one of the estate agents who was kind enough to take her time and try and find a pet-friendly place for us within our budget.

We hope you have a safe Journey and let us know how it goes and you never know, might be seeing you in Malta later on this year :cool:

tippkev wrote:

Hello forum, were planning to relocate to Malta later this year and I have a few questions regarding the trip down. We were going to fly down until we checked about bringing our 2 dogs which no airline carry from Ireland! We had planned selling our car and to find something in Malta but after researching cars we have different ideas! But having checked out road tax rates there now were really in a bind. we thought rates were bad in Ireland but  Malta's road tax table takes the biscuit.... I have a 2002 Subaru WRX and it looks like the tax now is about €800 a year. MADNESS.

Anyway I am rambling on so please see our questions below:

We will get the ferry to Calais, does anyone know if there are pet friendly hotels on route?

Do they need to be caged for the journey?

Many thanks.

Kev

Hi Kev
           We moved (with dog in car) from France to Malta and can answer a couple of your questions.
Your dog does not have to be in a cage either on the ferry or on route but it makes sense to have them in  a harness, they will have to stay in the car once on board.
Nearly all the cheap to medium price over night hotels in France are pet friendly and we have never found it necessary to book.
In Italy try the Agrotourism B/Bs they tend to be pet friendly.
Don't forget to notify Malta that you are bringing in a dog and remember you have to tell them what Ferry you will arrive on so the vet can meet you.
Bring your car, pay the tax and sell it on (you should get your money back, plenty of boy racers in Malta :cool:) or keep it.

Terry

Hi Terry, many thanks for your reply. That really hepls me out and i was not looking forward to days of researching pet friendly hotels. I will have a look to see what the import duites are.

kev :cool:

tippkev wrote:

Hi Terry, many thanks for your reply. That really hepls me out and i was not looking forward to days of researching pet friendly hotels. I will have a look to see what the import duites are.

kev :cool:

There's no charge to bring your dog into Malta but you need to ask for the form by email, fill it in and return it by email. They then authorise it and send a copy back to you, the vet will then meet your Ferry and check the micro chip  and passport.
Once you are settled in Malta you need to register the chip with  the Maltese authorities, I think a vet can do this for you.

Terry

This is the gov website that explains what you need to do.

http://vafd.gov.mt/pet-travel-scheme?l=1

Hope this helps.

Terry

Thanks Terry, I had it found already, not such a lazy git :lol: