Car Rental in Budapest

I'm looking to rent a car in Budapest for a couple of long weekends (Balaton, Szeged etc.) but the major obstacle I have is a lack of a Credit Card. Does anyone have ideas of local companies that accept debit cards/cash deposits for a rental?

Thanks for any and all help!

Hello,

I guess our business directory can help :

https://www.expat.com/en/business/europ … ar-rental/

All the best,

Julien

Get  master or visa credit card with capitalone.com . accepted for renting cars everywhere.  They give you an instant $90 credit regardless of your credit>everyone accepted.. You just need to add another $200 or so, to rent a car. You can add the funds from budapest at the moneygram store in 6th district. CHoose pay a bill and you merely send in $200 with moneygram to capitalone, .If you're renting a car, I presume you have extra funds for the deposit to the Credit card since a rental is at least $200 for a weekend anyway so you can put that into the credit card first, wait , and have the card in 10 days. Now you can rent cars all over the world with a credit card accepted by every rental in the world. Just put down in the application for the credit card the address you stay in budapest because of a temporary job in budapest.

Hi there,

I use an excellent car rental place regularly. They're a small company, lovely people, and will drop the car at your house and pick it up again for no fee which is super convenient. I've also been late coming home from long weekends away and they were nice about it, no trouble, will just come by and get the car when you let them know you're back. Small cars start at about 7,000ft per day which is hella cheap. They speak English too - I usually talk with Henrikas when I contact them.

As for a deposit, I've only ever used a credit card. I imagine they would also accept cash, but drop them an email and see. The deposit is 200,000 ft.

World Wide Rent A Car: .wwrentacar.hu/

Price list is here for all the different types of cars: wwrentacar.hu/arak.htm

And their emails and phone numbers are: Phone: +36 1 302-0431; Cellular: +36 20 991-8506

Info: [email protected]
Car reservation: [email protected]

Hope this helps! And do let us know if they accept cash deposits - maybe other people will want to know this too.

Did you consider taking a train? It is an inexpensive way to travel around Hungary. Budapest to Szeged in just over two hours for less than 5,000 HUF (1st class). The national railway schedule is in English:

http://www.mav-start.hu/english/index.php

And now, until October 7th, their is a 50% reduction for rail  passes to and around the Balaton. And you can transport a bike on many trains.

No, I don't work for the railway. I just like trains.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I usually go by train but the summer house in Balaton is in between 2 train stations (20 min walk from either) and a car would make life so much easier. In all honesty I just prefer the freedom of having a car when I travel.

I'll have a look at the company you suggested Margle - hopefully I can put the deposit in cash and get a car via them.

Any other suggestions are still welcome!

Totally understand the freedom of movement that a car brings. I live near the Balaton, and parking near the Balaton can get difficult in the height of the vacation season. Even I take a bus or bike to the lake in season.

Side note - buses here go to most every village, and there is a bus stop at many train stations. Notable exceptions do exist: for one village near where I live the train "station" (which is actually a broken down three wall little sitting spot) is located in the middle of a no-where about 1 km out of the village, only accessible on a dirt road, through a forest.

This company accepts these: rentautorent.com/
If the language is not English you can change that over the phone number.