Car insurrance

Hi,

I have a problem with finding an insurrance for my new bought car in Malta.

Here is the short story:

The last 10 years I lived in Switzerland and always had company cars of my own companies. I still have 2 cars registered in Switzerland for my companies.

I organized a no claim certificate as that they wanted to have here in Malta but now they come and tell me that I have to cancel my other insurrance in order to get the "no claim" bonus here in Malta.

From my point of view that is non-sense as I have gotten 2 new cars in Switzerland and both I started with the maximum discount without showing a certificate and also with different insurrance companies.

Anyone has an advice for me? (I am really not willing to pay 1.600 EUR/yr for a car that is worth 16.500 EUR)

Thanks.

I think its because you want to transfer your no claims bonus but also keep it in Switzerland, that's not a transfer as far as your Maltese insurance company is concerned.
Try another company.

Terry

I havent had an accident in over 10 yrs so why should I start with 100% :)

I didnt transfer anything in Switzerland so that why I thought it was/is weird.

Will try 2 other now.

you cannot have the no cliams bonus active in both countries.... its like having your bonus on two cars and that is not allowed.....

Hi Michael,

a no claims bonus is always per car. Otherwise you could run 100 cars on the same no claims bonus and then transfer the bonus from the 100 cars to 100 drivers.

I have two cars running in Germany on the maximum no claims bonus there but had to start on 100 % here in Malta.

It is standard procedure in the EU between insurance companies that you have to transfer your bonus to a new car whether in the same country or in another.

Cheers
Ricky

try Elmo Michael, they have been very good to me and the insurance for Fully comprehensive was very good. 

I have protect no claims and with 0 Excess with them.

Julian

Thanks for the infos.

@Ricky It is just very weird that both my cars in Switzerland run on 70% Bonus (I pay 30%) and I have never showed them anything.

Is it maybe different when you apply as a company rather than an individual?

Hi Michael,

it could be ! Although I doubt that you can negotiate a large corporate rebate with just two cars but maybe it works in Switzerland.

If you have been the only driver of a corporate car I think the company can transfer their bonus to you and you can transfer it to Malta. But then the company will loose one no claim bonus.

Cheers
Ricky

I got insurance now from Elmo, thanks scubaboy.

I tried to get a quote from all insurance companies in Malta or the bigger ones. A couple didnt accept that I dont have the ID card yet others wanted the registration plate number (which I obviously dont have as it is a new car).

Elmo worked fine until repeating my Email (i had to do ALT+0064 for the @ weird though) after that I called them got a slightly different quote over the phone, went there, signed and paid.

Will get the car hopefully on Tuesday or Wednesday :)

PS: I am paying half of what Atlas gave me as quote and roughly 200 less then Middlesea.

I'm also with ELMO. Had no problems receiving the no-claim bonus with a confirmation letter from my insurance in Austria (btw., which did not state that I cancelled the previous insurance ;) )
Same applies to my wife's car insurance ... and for my 2 motorcycles I received a 20% regular customer discount (because there is no no-claim bonus applicable).