Moving to Kuwait - customs procedure & visit?

I am moving soon from the UK to Kuwait for a new job.

I will bring my possessions via the removal company - do I have to visit the Kuwait customs office myself, when it arrives? Or is it possible for a removal company employee to do this stage for me?

I will be using a door-to-door air freight service (not door-to-airport).

If I need to visit, where is the Kuwait airport customs office? Has anyone done this before and can give me some info on the whole process?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks, but I'd prefer to see some advice within this thread.

Does anyone here have experience they can share re. the customs procedure when bringing personal possessions into Kuwait via a removals company?

i think it depends on how good the freight forwarder you selected is; u can either end up doing it all yourself or have them handle it all for u. in the end, its best to have someone do it for u coz customs in kuwait is extremely moody - one day they'll let something in and the other they'll tax the hell out of it.

We actually shipped a container here so may not be relevant to airport. We used door to door too, and the agent was excellent. All we had to do was appear at customs when told to, and be present at opening and inspection. Some people have other stories, but ours was trouble free.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Hi Johnybehud, which company in Canada did you use to get this door to door container service? Would you be able to share how much you paid. Appreciate the assistance.

Hi, I didn't move from Canada, but Kuwait (should have gone to Libya but thats a long story). I used GAC - and have used them recently to move to France from Kuwait. Again, door to door service. They packed everything securely at our villa into a 20' container. When this was complete they secured goods internally with wooden bracing. The container arrived in France in exact the same condition. No damages. Delivered unpacked and unwrapped.
We have now had two dealings with customs in Kuwait - both in and out. Went completely trouble free - as long as you are not importing/ exporting anything illegal. When clearing incoming at customs in Kuwait they will unstuff your container (we had a 40' arriving!) A strong tip - be completely respectful and take your wife/lady friend with you to plead your case. We did not have to unstuffy our container. Losing patience will get you nowhere. AND we did this before we had residence permit (something others told us we could not do)

johnybegud - i love that song from Back to the Future btw, thank you for sharing your story :D

much appreciated.

goes to show that experience of all is different, and u should not let people's negativity deter u.