New residency scheme next month.

A revamped permanent residency scheme will be unveiled at the end of the month, Prime Minister Joseph Muscat said this morning.
The Government is also in the process of finalising the first draft of a citizenship and visa agency that will, among others, provide a fast track approach for foreign investors.
Dr Muscat said it was unacceptable that foreigners who came to invest money and create jobs had to wait in lengthy queues to obtain a visa or residency permit.
He was speaking while visiting RS2 software in Mosta where he unveiled a smart processing system. The company employs more than 100 people and has offices in other countries. It was floated on the Malta Stock Exchange in 2008.
Dr Muscat's comment may have been prompted by the company's chief executive, Radi El Haj, who is expecting to receive his Maltese ID card next week after years of working in Malta.
The Prime Minister said his Government will not take credit for the success of private companies. "We are not a paternalistic government.  We are here only to facilitate. We want to remove barriers to business."
He said the country's regulation system was "very good" and this was the merit of previous governments. "But we lack the personal touch when investors come here, especially when they decide to move their family here."

So it would be easier only for investors? And how do they define one?

oscar_PL wrote:

So it would be easier only for investors? And how do they define one?

I din't read it like that as it states.........
he first draft of a citizenship and visa agency that will, among others, provide a fast track approach for foreign investors.

for the vast majority of EU citizens this is irrelevant - it will be aimed at attracting wealthy non-EU citizens

Why irrelevant? Because if this is being done to make a 'level playing field' then by logical extension this will be of some help to everyone and that will include EU members.

this is a replacement for the HNWI scheme, which was a replacement for the permanent residence (PR) scheme, neither of which had any appeal to the vast percentage of EU citizens.

The schemes appeal will be to those who don't have a right to live in Malta - EU citizens already have that right.

You may be right but I still think information such as this  belongs on here as not all members are EU and some may be prospective investors. Just shows how we each interpret information in our own ways :)

I also found this quote 'Muscat said that government was to revamp the system how residency permits, visas and ID cards are issued to make it more expedite.'

http://www.maltatoday.com.mt/en/newsdet … h-20130515

I agree it should be on here, absolutely, but just wanted to clarify what this is, and what it isn't, as some might think this is a replacement for the eResidency card

georgeingozo wrote:

I agree it should be on here, absolutely, but just wanted to clarify what this is, and what it isn't, as some might think this is a replacement for the eResidency card

Fair comment :)
I wonder how long this will actually take to implement? ;)

The new residency scheme ? should be quick - presumably they have already got a plan to implement, and it might only attract a hundred people a year.

"revamp the system how residency permits, visas and ID cards are issued to make it more expedite." now thats a different matter - tens of thousands of people - new plans can be implemented quickly as well, but the backlog is so big

I'd guess the new scheme will be similar to HNWI, just not as onerous on the minimum financial requirements (which were very high)

it will largely depend on what changes JM makes and how simple he wants to make it.....

toonarmy9752 wrote:

it will largely depend on what changes JM makes and how simple he wants to make it.....

Presumably pitched somewhere between PR scheme and HNWI scheme. The whole purpose is to attract people who will make a significant economic contribution to Malta, and in exchange will get permanent residency status.

So people setting up significant businesses, or people with significant income/capital.

i was actually referring to the ordinary "joe dokes" e-residency scheme and the changes that he is expected to make. altho to be fair it is just as apt for the new PR/HNWI scheme i suppose.

toonarmy9752 wrote:

i was actually referring to the ordinary "joe dokes" e-residency scheme and the changes that he is expected to make.

I don't see them making significant changes ( other than procedural ones)to the eResidence system as they are largely defined by EU law.

"All" they need to do is allocate significantly more people to the department.

From a reliable source I heard that the new scheme will indeed be placed somewhere between the old PR scheme and the HNWI.
Apparently there are about 35 HNWI individuals in Malta. This scheme was somewhat flawed. Not so much because of the thresholds, but more because of the other restrictions. For instance, not allowing live-in household staff etc.
The new scheme should be worded more carefully, with perhaps a somewhat lower minimum tax-threshold.