Contemplating a move to Budapest

Hello everyone
We are seriously contemplating a move to Budapest in Sept 2013. But we have a few nagging questions:

1.    My office will be in District 5. We need accommodation with a garden for our 2 dogs. We understand this will not be possible on the Pest side. How far into the Buda side of town do we need to venture into for such accommodation?

2.    Can anybody advise on regulations for importing dogs?

3.    We will not have a car on arrival. Is car rental practical for first 2 months? Is there a good second hand car market?

4.    What is the regulation regarding cost of tertiary education for EU citizens?

Regards
Karen

Just to clarify there are a good number of flats in the city center and nearby that have garden courtyards.  But if you want a garden where your dogs can be outside for long periods of time unattended, you are likely looking for a rental house.   While there are rental homes available in Buda, there are small, single family homes in many parts of 14th, 15th and 16th districts with gardens as these districts were the former suburbs and some areas were spared Communist development.    There are smaller parts of the 13th district where there are single family homes with gardens.

Single family homes with gardens in Buda will be pricey as this is typically the place where corporate expats with families choose to live.  There are some of these pricey single family homes in all of these districts excepting the castle district. (2nd, 11th and 12th primarily) that wouldn't be too terrible of a commute.

If you want you can also live the suburban lifestyle.  The easiest would be to live in or near the former artist village Szentendre.  At least with that you can take a HÉV suburban public transport train to Buda.   Another possibility right outside of town north of Pest is Dunakeszi as you can take the MAV train (not part of Budapest public transport) that goes to and from Vác often.

Other recommendable places that would require a car would be anywhere else outside of Buda, like Budaörs and Budakeszi.  (both popular with expats)

The general problem with living in Buda is that there is that the population has far outran their city planners' transport plans. Because of the geography it can be a real grind to commute via car and sometimes even with public transport if you plan to commute during the typical heavy traffic periods.  Am not saying that Pest can never be a grind but at least there are generally more options for transport that aren't concentrated like Buda.

It seems that with with finding a suitable family house, importing dogs, renting a car long-term it might be worthwhile to hire an expert to help get you settled especially if you aren't being assigned local staff from your workplace.   I can't recommend one personally, perhaps someone else here can.

karenh wrote:

Is there a good second hand car market?

Not really. Used cars are often over priced.

And you may need to get a Hungarian driving license, which may require taking a Hungarian driving course/test.

Just found out my future office isn't in District 5 – its actually in District 13 *face palm*

We'll need a semi-detached or detached house for sure. Rhodesian Ridgebacks don't do too well in confined space. Thanks for the info regarding possible single family in District 13. Pricey family homes will be an issue since the rent will come out of our pockets. We're looking for something within +/- US$2000 a month. We hope to get in touch with real estate agents to help us with locating suitable houses.

We did our home work regarding driver's license, apparently we can get conversions from our current ones.

Any more tips from others are much appreciated.

Regards
Karen

@Karenh careful with realestate agents, a lot of bad experiences from expats here. What i may suggest is email Stuart McAlister
Managing Director of InterRelocation, they do a good job in organizing this kind of things to make your transition less stressful, [email protected]

knuttelmarc wrote:

@Karenh careful with realestate agents, a lot of bad experiences from expats here. What i may suggest is email Stuart McAlister
Managing Director of InterRelocation, they do a good job in organizing this kind of things to make your transition less stressful, [email protected]

Thanks so much, knuttelmarc. Shall do soonest.

I am architect in Budapest.
I would be glad to help you to find home and help you to start your life here.
To buy a car is easy, and cheep.
In order to hire a house I would need more details: how many rooms you need...?

Andrea

[moderated: free advertisement is not allowed on the forum]