Moving to Malta..

Hi Everyone!

Just wondering how those of you that have moved to Malta are finding it?

We are thinking of moving over in Sept 2014..for 6/12 months to try it out, we've visited for 6/12 months 3 times and absolutely love Malta, but know living & holidaying are very different :-)

I'm a yoga teacher & hubby a boat driver refurbished & we were wondering if jobs are hard to come by in the quieter off peak tourist months?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks a mil,
Tara

Merhba :) Have a very good look around the forum, most of your answers are there already. I have only read one negative post about life out here in general and that was from someone who had no realistic expectations in the first place. Lynn and I are retired so cannot comment on employment etc. We are in UK at the moment going back to Xaghra on Gozo in 9 weeks time. Good luck but for what it's worth, you seem to be procrastinating over the move. Any particular reason? I ask because it may be that though you love the place it may not really be enough for you? Good luck.

Hi Tara-Yoga,

welcome to the forum.

Jobs can be quite hard to find , even in the busier season. It is just as difficult as anywhere else.

There have been many posts for yoga jobs recently and I know there are quite a few teachers around! But i don't know if there is room for one more?

I'm not sure what boat driver refurbished means job wise? Does your hubby have his own boat?

There are a limited number of tourist boats mostly in the hand of a few companies with hardly any room for another company. The market there is very protective. I doubt if a non-Maltese captain would have a chance finding employment as the jobs tend to be for a lifetime. As you already have noted during the winter (October to April) the business comes to a stillstand due to the weather and not so much due to lack of tourists.

On the private scene there are boats looking for private charters but that seems to be difficult too.

So you will need to do a lot more research there to make a realistic decision.

Cheers
Ricky